Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cujas

Musicals on Tap

Is the dancer and choreographer Hermes Pan who loyally served Fred Astaire in films such as Damsel In Distress, Top Hat, Swing Time, Follow The Fleet, The Gay Divorcee, Flying Down To Rio, & Shall We Dance?

Hermes Pan is Fred Astaire's choreographer and number one collaborator.

BUT--This question is about a man who served as Fred Astaire's Assistant choreographer. In one particular instance he was the choreographer for a very important Fred Astaire musical. And he was the dancer who Fred entrusted his daughter, Ava, to for her personal dance instruction.

Hint - - I know this because Ava Astaire said so on a DVD commentary of the musical that this assistant choreographer had the privilege of being the credited choreographer for.

Yes, Lav. I got this one from the horses mouth. Ava Astaire did commentary on daddy long legs and talked about him. And she said she took dance lessons from him. He was her father's choice as dance instructor for his daughter

Dave was the assistant choreographer ON blue skies and funny face. He also worked on some of the TV specials.

There was so much dancing in Daddy Long Legs that Leslie Caron had her own ballet choreographer there as well, Roland Petit. She was dancing in his company in Paris with Gene Kelly discovered her.

What with all that dancing something's gotta give.

Lav, it's yours--

Thanks Princess. Love Daddy Long Legs and Somethings Gotta Give is my favorite song in the film and dance routine they do. I LOVE Daddy Long Legs, it's a favorite

next

This musical number was not in the Broadway show but thank heavens it was included in the film. A very high jump and back flip are just 2 of the very memorable dance moves in this most brilliant dance number to a most brilliant song. Who were the dancers, film, the song, choreographers ????

Russ Tamblyn is the one who was always doing those flips. So has to be the dance at the gym from West Side Story, choreographed by Jerome Robbins.

But I'm not that familiar with the Broadway show. Rusty did that stuff out on the blues number and/or the jump number In the movie. Riff's partner was Graciela, his girlfriend and they danced with all the Jets. Graciela was Gina Trikonis and Ice, the Jets second in command, was Tucker Smith.

I believe Leonard Bernstein wrote all the music to West Side Story. I also know that he wrote some of the lyrics along with Stephen Sondheim.

Happy New Year to All in Our Trivia Family.

Thanks for all the great info Princess. The film, etc I'm thinking about is another. The routine was not in the show. hint- the choreographer is in this dance routine

From This Moment On was not originally from Kiss Me Kate.  I think it might have been from Out of This World, but I'm not 100% sure about that.  Anyway, it was interpolated into the movie and proved to be one of the highlights of that film.  I know that Bob Fosse choreographed his and Carol Haney's segment, although I don't know if he choreographed the whole number.  Hermes Pan was the choreographer for the film.

Yes From This Moment On the song and dance routine and Kiss Me Kate are correct. Besides Bob Fosse and Carol Haney, the other dancers in this out of this world dance routine were Tommy Rall, Bobby Van, Ann Miller and Jeanne Coyne to answer the rest of the question. One of my favorite dance routines on film. So glad that this song and dance were used in the film Kiss Me Kate, a truly great musical film imo. Good work star, your thread.

When this dancer learned that one of his dancing partners was nervous about dancing with him, he made it a point to trip and fall in front of her the first day on the set to put her at ease.  

Who was the dancer, the dancing partner and what was the movie?

Hint:  Usually this dancer's co-star was also a dancer, but in this film his leading lady most decidedly was not one, although she did do a few steps with him.  Instead he was partnered quite well with a couple of supporting players and it was one of these supporting players for whom he fell to put her at ease.     

Is the dancer Fred Astaire, the movie "Damsel In Distress", and the dancing partner Gracie Allen?

Thanks, Star

One of Hollywood's greatest legends starred in a 1930's movie musical in which he often would go over the dance steps with the one and only Fred Astaire before the dances were filmed.

Name the 1930's movie musical and this great Hollywood legend.

The first thing that came to my mind was James Cagney in Something to Sing About.

star - you're absolutely correct. I really love this film and love James Cagney's dance numbers which indicate a "prelude" to his marvelous performance as George M. Cohan in "Yankee Doodle Dandy". 

Star - the thread is yours.

This musical star danced in almost all of her films, and yet she never danced with either Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly.  However, she did dance in several films with the choreographer who worked very closely with Fred Astaire on a number of his films.  Can you name the star, the choreographer and any of the films in which they danced?

• Like 1

That is correct, shutoo!  Hermes Pan danced with Betty Grable in the congo number in Moon Over Miami.  He also danced with her in Footlight Serenade, Sweet Rosie O'Grady, and Pin Up Girl.  He was also in Coney Island, but to the best of my knowledge he did not actually dance with her in that but was a "specialty" dancer.

You're up next, shutoo.

Movie title=title song in this 30's film, and it was sung by a relative newcomer who would become one of the most popular singers of all time. His female co-star wasn't known for her singing..and today is often better remembered for her off-screen lifestyle.

Shutoo-- I learned this song from That's Entertainment in 1974. I've never seen the movie but this number looks like a lot of fun.

Going Hollywood is the name of the song and the name of the movie. It was sung by Bing Crosby and it was written by Arthur Freed And Nacio Herb Brown.

Star of the movie was Marion Davies--the mistress of newspaper mogul William Randolph Hearst. The two were seriously satirized in Orson Welles's cinematic masterpiece Citizen Kane.

You got it Princess...if you've seen this scene of Going Hollywood--everyone in the train station getting in on the number, you've seen the best part of the movie.

Your thread!

Thanx, Shutoo--

Next:

This lady was an accomplished film actress and famous for her marriage to a legendary movie star.

But that wasn't enough, she's a great tap dancer too. She demonstrated this talent in several Golden Age musicals.

She may be the forgotten tap dancer of the golden era.

Let's remember her now. Can you name her?