Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cujas

Musicals on Tap

Hint#2-- this tap dancing actress co-starred with the top male movie stars: Kirk Douglas, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, Gene Nelson and Ronald Reagan.

She married one of the above co-stars. Can you name her and her movie star husband?

Hint#2-- this tap dancing actress co-starred with the top male movie stars: Kirk Douglas, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, Gene Nelson and Ronald Reagan.

She married one of the above co-stars. Can you name her and her movie star husband?

Is it Patrice Wymore who was married to Errol Flynn?

Yes, it's Patrice Wymore, who stayed married to Errol Flynn through it all.

If you've never seen her tap dance, you have to see her Crazy Rhythm number in Tea for Two

Marsha, you're up - -

This marvelous actress/dancer's career started in vaudeville and from there the sky was no limit. She starred on Broadway, films and on radio. Known for her long legs and high kicks, she was praised, in her own words, as "the only woman in the world who could kick a giraffe in the eye". Although she appeared on film with some of the most lovely and talented female dancers, your eyes were immediately drawn to this unique woman's infectious acting and dancing abilities. She will long be remembered for one of her last performances in the film version of a landmark 1940's Broadway musical.

Name this amazing actress/dancer and the character and film in which she gave what may be considered her most memorable performance.

It's got to be Charlotte Greenwood, who played Aunt Eller in "Oklahoma".

Absolutely correct, Miles.  The one and only Charlotte Greenwood.  It's your thread.

That's the one, Starlit.  It was made in England in 1951.  The entire movie is available on YouTube.  Nice work.  Your up next, Star.

In this somewhat minor musical with a major musical star, a song was played in the background during a nightclub scene.  Several years later, this same song would become the title song of another musical starring the same actor.  In addition, appearing briefly as an extra was a young actor who, just a few years later, would be prominently featured in the first of two films he was to make with the star of this movie.

Can you name the movie, its star, the song that was also the title of another musical, the extra and the two films he made with the star?

Not a Gershwin tune and not even a Harold Arlen tune, as Harold Arlen was the composer of the songs in this musical that was seen very recently on TCM.  However, the tune that was played in the background was written by a songwriting team deemed worthy enough to have a movie biopic done about them and this song served as the title of that picture.

I hope this info helps.

Not a Gershwin tune and not even a Harold Arlen tune, as Harold Arlen was the composer of the songs in this musical that was seen very recently on TCM.  However, the tune that was played in the background was written by a songwriting team deemed worthy enough to have a movie biopic done about them and this song served as the title of that picture.

I hope this info helps.the

I think the movie is "The Sky's The Limit", the star of the movie is Fred Astaire,  the background song is Three Little Words, which became the title of the movie starring Fred Astaire and Red Skelton as Bert Kalmar and Harry Ruby, the young actor is Carlton Carpenter who appeared in Three Little Words in scene with Debbie Reynolds singing I Want to be Loved By You. Are these answers correct?

I think Marsha got it partly correct.  The song "Three Little Words" was indeed played in "The Sky's The Limit" and it was the title of a later Fred Astaire movie, but it was Peter Lawford who was an extra in "The Sky's The Limit".  He later worked with Fred in "Easter Parade" and "Royal Wedding".  

Yes, between the two of you, you got it right.  Marsha, the movie was The Sky's the Limit starring Fred Astaire and the song heard in the background was Three Little Words, which later became the title of the Bert Kalmar-Harry Ruby biopic starring Fred Astaire.  And Miles, you were right about Peter Lawford being the extra who later appeared with Fred in Easter Parade and Royal Wedding.  (I have seen The Sky's the Limit several times, but had never spotted Peter Lawford until just the other night when TCM played this.)  

I'll leave it up to the two of you as to who wants to take the thread.   

President Franklin D. Roosevelt had a son who eventually went into politics, but before he did, he became a movie producer for a short time.  He produced a musical that featured a popular leading man and beautiful leading lady.  While they both made a few musicals, they were certainly not known for them.  The movie was based on a popular radio show of the day.  Can you name the movie, the two stars, and FDR's producer son?

President Franklin D. Roosevelt had a son who eventually went into politics, but before he did, he became a movie producer for a short time.  He produced a musical that featured a popular leading man and beautiful leading lady.  While they both made a few musicals, they were certainly not known for them.  The movie was based on a popular radio show of the day.  Can you name the movie, the two stars, and FDR's producer son?

Movie is "Pot o' Gold" starring James Stewart and Paulette Goddard produced by FDR's son James Roosevelt.

That's the one, Marsha.  It was released in April of 1941, shortly after James Stewart had won his Oscar for "The Philadelphia Story".   Here is a clip from "Pot O'Gold".

OK, Marsha, you're up next.

• Like 1

Thanks, Miles.

A 1957 movie musical is the film adaptation of a 1955 Broadway musical of the same name, which itself was an adaptation of a very famous 1939 romantic comedy produced and directed by a Hollywood legend.  Both the movie and stage musical had scores by the same composer/lyricist and the 1955 Broadway musical is the last one this composer/lyricist wrote for the stage.

Name the 1957 movie musical and 1955 stage musical with the same name, name the composer/lyricist of both, name the very famous 1939 romantic comedy and the legendary producer and director of this film.

Both the movie musical and stage musical were titled "Silk Stockings", with music by Cole Porter.   The 1939 movie was "Ninotchka", which was produced and directed by Ernst Lubitsch.  

• Like 1

Both the movie musical and stage musical were titled "Silk Stockings", with music by Cole Porter.   The 1939 movie was "Ninotchka", which was produced and directed by Ernst Lubitsch.  

Correct, Miles. It's your turn.

Two of George Gershwin's most popular songs were performed in a movie released more than six months after his death.  Can you name the songs and the movie, as well as who sang them in the film?  Bonus points if you can name the other George Gershwin song that had a brief appearance in that same film. 

Are the two songs "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" and "They All Laughed" from the movie "Shall We Dance"? Ginger Rogers sings "They All Laughed" in the nightclub and both Ginger and Fred Astaire sing "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" in Central Park. The other song is "They Can't Take That Away From Me" sung by Fred in the ferry scene. Is this correct?

The Goldwyn Follies was the last musical that the Gershwin brothers collaborated on Before George's untimely death.

George's 2 famous posthumous hits are: Our Love Is Here to Stay and Love Walked In.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing The Goldwyn Follies, but as a tap dance instructor, I had to study the career of The Gershwin brothers.

And as best as I can recall-- Vera Zorina, was the ballet dancer and wife of Balanchine, the choreographer for the movie, while Kenny Baker was the singer in the movie. So I imagine Kenny Baker sang both of those songs.