Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

This legendary tap dancer tap danced in the Golden Age movies, then later appeared with one of the Great singers from those era movies in mega concert shows.

When you identify the tap dancer, please give the name of a movie he appeared in as well as the name of the Golden Era singing Star he opened for in those live concerts.

It seems to me that we have had this question previously.  The answer , I believe, is John Bubbles.  He also used his real name of John Sublett.  He appeared in "Cabin In The Sky", and he was in the original stage production of "Porgy And Bess".  He played "Sportin' Life".  In his later years he toured with Judy Garland when she did her live concerts.  

Here he is in "Cabin In The Sky".

Miles, you're absolutely right. John Bubbles may be the only tap dancer who ever ever came close to challenging Bojangles for that crown.

Mr.Bubbles opened for Judy Garland and taught her kids how to tap dance.

Judy Garland's ex husband, Vincent Minnelli directed Mr. Bubbles in his great performance in Cabin in the Sky.

And of course, this tap dancer is the original Sportin' Life in Porgy and Bess on Broadway.

Miles, thanks for the video. Your turn--

Out of curiosity, I just looked this up on Wiki, it actually lists 6 films that Crosby appeared in blackface. Holiday Inn, Dream House, Dixie, Mississippi, Road to Singapore and Here Come The Waves. They are all listed as musicals and only Dream House is a short the rest are full length films. WOW! who knew!

"Who knew?" is right.  I was thinking of "Dixie" which was made the year after "Holiday Inn" and also featured Marjorie Reynolds.  Here is the trailer.

And here is a clip from "Dream House", one of Bing's early short comedies for Mack Sennett.

Some yeas later, when he made "White Christmas" in 1954, there was a minstrel number, but nobody appeared in blackface.

Thanks to both Lavender and Starlit for their responses.  Lavender was first with a correct answer, so she gets the thread.  

"Who knew?" is right.  I was thinking of "Dixie" which was made the year after "Holiday Inn" and also featured Marjorie Reynolds. .

Some yeas later, when he made "White Christmas" in 1954, there was a minstrel number, but nobody appeared in blackface.

Thanks to both Lavender and Starlit for their responses.  Lavender was first with a correct answer, so she gets the thread.  

Thanks Miles. Got nothing right now, busy morning, Star is welcome to take the thread

I'll take this.

NEXT CLUE:

This actor was unable to take part in  a musical number with Fred Astaire and Nanette Fabrey because he had just had a heart attack.

Name the actor, the number, and the movie.

You must be talking about Oscar Levant in Vincente Minnelli's the Bandwagon. He was always threatening to have a heart attack. But I remember him in I love Louisa so maybe it was the Triplets number that he got himself out of.

It was a rather painful because they had to do it on their knees and their legs were strapped behind them. Poor Nanette Fabray had just split her leg on the Louisiana hayride hay and she was in a lot of pain.

If you look at Oscar during the That's Entertainment number, he looks like he's having a heart attack right there.

You gotta love Oscar!

• Like 1

That's exactly correct, Princess.

According to the book Movies we Love which was forwarded by Robert Osbourne, The band Wagon was plagued by behind-the scene health issues.

Oscar actually did have a heart attack. 

Fred Astaire's first wife was dying.

That  triplets number looks painful.

My favourite Oscar film number is where he imagines himself being the entire orchestra, the conductor, and the audience in An American in Paris.

Your thread.

:)

This dance assistant worked for several famous choreographers in the movies, danced on Broadway and was featured dancing in several films before going out and becoming a choreographer.

When you name this dance professional, please also identify the two famous movie choreographers that the artist assisted as well some of the movies associated with this person.

I knew they were of equal standing eventually, but I thought that maybe he did not start out that way.

I'm trying to think of someone who is not famous for dancing as you mentioned in a new hint, but someone like Michael Kidd, for example, was famous for dancing.

Is it Carol Haney?  She worked as an assistant to Jack Cole and then Gene Kelly.  She also danced in some musicals.  On the Town and Kiss Me Kate are the two that come immediately to my mind.  She scored a hit on Broadway in The Pajama Game and later reprised her role in the film version, which sadly was the only time she had a speaking role on screen.  As for being a choreographer, I don't know anything about that - oh, wait - did she choreograph the stage version of Funny Girl?

• Like 2