Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

Star you got it - - Carol Haney was the one dancer that I wanted to dance like when I was growing up.

Gene Kelly directed Flower Drum Song on Broadway and she choreographed it. She was nominated for a Tony for Flower Drum song and posthumously for Funny Girl.

She was with Gene through all those movies. He had this very Gallant way of saying that the reason he didn't star her in the movies was because MGM said she wasn't photogenic.

What would women say about that today?

Star, well done - - it's all yours.

Thank you, Princess!

Trained as a ballerina and starting out as a chorus girl on Broadway, this actress was cast opposite a dancer for an upcoming musical.  Instead she married a producer and went on her honeymoon.  Another actress was cast opposite the dancer and the pairing was very fortuitous indeed.  Name the 3 people and the movie.

Star-- the question reminded me of Fred Astaire's first movie Dancing Lady.

Your hint reminded me of Flying Down to Rio and Merian C Cooper's interest in flying-- he married the girl that was supposed to be opposite Astaire, can't remember her name.

Then they hired Ginger Rogers to take her place.

So that's how Astaire & Rogers first came together.

Had to look her up - - Dorothy Jordan doesn't really ring a bell. Probably because she worked primarily in pre-code.

Well, no matter how you got there, you got it right, Princess.  I always wondered why Dorothy Jordan had been chosen to dance with Astaire in this movie since I had only seen her in a few movies and she didn't dance in any of them, but then I read her bio on IMDb and found out that she had started out as a dancer and, in fact, had danced in the chorus of Funny Face, a musical that starred Fred and Adele Astaire.  Imagine how differently things might have worked out if she had been his partner.

Your thread, Princess. 

Two famous tap dancers were contracted to dance together in a movie. Both of them were movie stars and had never previously done a number together.

When they finally decided on the number they wanted to do in this movie, one of the dancers was unhappy--this dancer felt that the number wasn't a big enough artistic or technical challenge. He/she let their feelings be known around the studio.

The other tap dancer sarcastically retorted, " What is it she/he wants to do? Nijinsky's Afternoon of a Faun?"

We need the names of the two tap dancers. Please identify the one who was dissatisfied with the number, the name of the number the two eventually performed and the movie in which they appeared.

(Extra credit for the name of the movie's director)

Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.

Gene Kelly was dissatisfied.  

"The Babbit and the Bromide" is the dance they eventually performed.

Ziegfeld Follies is the film.

When the soundtrack for this musical was released, due to contractual issues, the star of this film was not allowed to have his or her voice recorded on the album.  This singer replaced the star's voice on the soundtrack.

Name the film.

Name the star of the film who didn't appear on the album.

Name the singer who replaced the star.

Marni Nixon did this so many times I don't know which one you're talking about--

My Fair Lady - - Audrey Hepburn

West Side Story - - Natalie Wood

The King and I - - Deborah Kerr

To her dying day Deborah Kerr swore she sang on that record.

Natalie and Audrey actually made some recordings. They were obviously not going to be up to Snuff - - so the producers quickly replaced them with Marni. Although Marni sings all these roles, she had to, as an actress, adapt to each actress individually.

Maybe I didn't phrase the question well, or maybe there isn't a singular instance of this happening.

I wasn't referring to anyone that was dubbed in his/her film.  This star did sing in his/her own voice in the film, but due to issues with his/her record company, he/she was not allowed to have his/her voice on the official soundtrack for the film.  Another singer replaced him/her on the movie's soundtrack album.

No.  It is not Some Like it Hot

I will give a clue.  

The lead in this musical is known more for his/her singing career and less for his/her acting career.  The singer that replaced him/her also appeared in films, but like the subject of this question, he/she was also known more for his/her singing career. 

Rosemary Clooney had appeared in the movie "White Christmas", but when the soundtrack album was released, she could not be included because she had an exclusive recording contract with Columbia Records, and another record company, Decca Records, released the album.  She was replaced on the album by Peggy Lee.

Thanks, Speedy.  A few days ago, TCM showed the wartime musical "This Is The Army", with songs by Irving Berlin.  In one scene, a radio announcer introduces a well known singer who will sing a "new" song.  George Murphy, upon hearing the song, exclaims to Rosemary DeCamp that the song is not new.  He and his army buddies were singing it twenty-two years prior.  Can you name the song and the well known singer?  

Thanks, Speedy.  A few days ago, TCM showed the wartime musical "This Is The Army", with songs by Irving Berlin.  In one scene, a radio announcer introduces a well known singer who will sing a "new" song.  George Murphy, upon hearing the song, exclaims to Rosemary DeCamp that the song is not new.  He and his army buddies were singing it twenty-two years prior.  Can you name the song and the well known singer?  

Is it How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning which Irving Berlin did for troops in WWI?

Irving Berlin is the one who played himself and sang the song  If that is the one you mean

No, Irving Berlin appeared in the stage show, not on the radio.  Apparently, you didn't watch the film last week, or you would certainly know the answer.  The song had been removed from the original World War I show, "Yip, Yip, Yaphank".  

Yes, you're absolutely correct, Lavender.  "God Bless America" was the best known song in the whole movie. I would think that anyone who had seen the movie would certainly remember it.  It became so associated with Kate Smith that years later, she was hired by the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team to sing it before hockey games, because they considered her to be their good luck charm.  Now, it is played or sung during the seventh inning stretch at every major league baseball game.

Lavender, please pose the next question.

Yes, you're absolutely correct, Lavender.  "God Bless America" was the best known song in the whole movie. I would think that anyone who had seen the movie would certainly remember it.  It became so associated with Kate Smith that years later, she was hired by the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team to sing it before hockey games, because they considered her to be their good luck charm.  Now, it is played or sung during the seventh inning stretch at every major league baseball game.

Lavender, please pose the next question.

oakie, doakie Miles :)

He started in vaudeville and made it to Broadway in his teens in a musical that was made into a film. He did a low budget programmer then had a role in the film version of the Broadway musical he had been in. He married a singer/dancer and they appeared in a few films together. He was an excellent tap dancer, but unfortunately did not live a long life. Who was this talented tapper and name at least a couple of those musical films ??? Extra to name his singer/dancer wife ?

Is it Ray McDonald?  He was married to singer/dancer Peggy Ryan and appeared in several films with her and he died at the age of 38.  The only thing that doesn't match up is that he was in the Broadway production of Babes in Arms, but he wasn't in the film version.  He did, however, have a role in Babes on Broadway.

Perfectly correct on all counts star, it is Ray McDonald and extra credit for naming his wife Peggy Ryan. Although not part of the question, the role he played in one of the Andy Hardy movies as the kid who commits suicide was a bit of a shocker.

Excellent work and it's your thread. Star :)

No, Irving Berlin appeared in the stage show, not on the radio.  Apparently, you didn't watch the film last week, or you would certainly know the answer.  The song had been removed from the original World War I show, "Yip, Yip, Yaphank".  

No, I didn't.  It has been a few years since I saw the movie and was relying entirely on memory.

It does remind me that I need to rewatch it.

Berlin did indeed later appear in a WWII movie and re-sing the song.