Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

This question is about musical numbers that are not in musicals.

These numbers were cut for whatever reason from these famous musicals.

1) What Judy Garland number was cut from Easter Parade?

2) What Fred Astaire number was cut from The Bandwagon?

3) What number did Fred Astaire get cut out of in The Ziegfeld Follies?

4) What Cyd Charisse number was cut from The Bandwagon?

Please answer in totality.

Some of this I knew and some I had to look up.

1. Judy Garland had a number called "Mr. Monotony" cut from "Easter Parade".  In the number she wore the same outfit, a man's tuxedo jacket and fedora, that she wore in the "Get Happy" number in "Summer Stock" two years later.

2.  In "The Band Wagon", Fred Astaire actually had two numbers cut.  He was supposed to dance to a song called "You Have Everything" and he was teamed with Nanette Fabray in singing the song "Got a Bran' New Suit". 

3.  For "Ziegfeld Follies", Fred had written a song that was deleted.  It was called "If Swing Goes, I Go Too".  According to IMDB. the original running time would have been over four and a half hours if many cuts had not been made, and many were.  The segments were filmed over a period of almost a year.  One song that was cut would have been interesting.  Vincente Minnelli directed a chorus singing the Gershwin song "Liza".

4. Cyd Charisse was a great dancer, but her singing voice was almost always dubbed.  In "The Band Wagon", she had a song called "Two Faced Woman" that was dubbed by a voice artist named India Adams.  That song was deleted from the final print, but later that same recording of the song was heard in "Torch Song", with Joan Crawford's singing voiced being dubbed.  

Here is Judy's deleted song, "Mr. Monotony" from "Easter Parade".

• Like 1

Some of this I knew and some I had to look up.

1. Judy Garland had a number called "Mr. Monotony" cut from "Easter Parade".

Here is Judy's deleted song, "Mr. Monotony" from "Easter Parade".

Miles-- I can always count on you.

I wrote this question just so you would feature Mr. Monotony. I knew that you would pick it out from the crowd.

I only saw this maybe 15 or 20 years ago on That's Entertainment 3, Though I'd read about it for years.

Also, I had Bran New Suit on my Fred Astaire MGM tape. I had some stills of it too.

I think Mr. Monotony is the most perfect Garland number I've ever seen. It's a perfect example of great singing coordinated with choreography--Judy is a performer who really sings and dances at the same time-- the dancing is unobtrusive-- this is what you get when the director is also Judy's personal choreographer.

But, I have always wondered why Judy had her current husband at the time, Vincente Minnelli, replaced by Walters as director of Easter Parade.

Many thanks & well-done!

Miles is up--

Thank you, Princess.  I believe that at the time that "Easter Parade"  was being made, Judy and Vincente Minnelli were having some problems and her psychologist suggested that the two of them not work together.  Now, Fred Astaire and his sister, Adele, starred in several Broadway shows, but Adele never went into the movie business.  Some of those shows were later adapted for the screen, some with Fred, and some without Fred.  In most cases the only similarity between the stage and screen versions was the title and a few songs.  What was the last Broadway show that they worked in together?  

Miles-- first off I forgot that you mentioned India Adams. And she was a good dub for Cyd. I had The Bandwagon record for many years.

I bought the Silk Stockings record in London at Piccadilly Circus - - I never will forget that. And it seems like a Carol Richards or Carol Richard dubbed for Cyd in silk stockings.

Thank you, Princess. I believe that at the time that "Easter Parade" was being made, Judy and Vincente Minnelli were having some problems and her psychologist suggested that the two of them not work together. Now, Fred Astaire and his sister, Adele, starred in several Broadway shows, but Adele never went into the movie business. Some of those shows were later adapted for the screen, some with Fred, and some without Fred. In most cases the only similarity between the stage and screen versions was the title and a few songs. What was the last Broadway show that they worked in together?

Miles-- the last show that Fred and Adele did was The Bandwagon.

The Broadway show was a review - - but they used a lot of the same songs in the movie.

Now Funny Face was an earlier show that Fred and Adele did. The movie of course has a different plot but they use some of the same great Gershwin songs of course.

Fred liked very much returning to this material because it was top drawer and because he liked continuity in his career.

Of course his first show without Adele was Gay Divorce by Cole Porter- - and that of course was his first starring role in the movies. The censors actually changed it to Gay Divorcée because in those days they didn't think divorce could be gay. But I'm a living example that it is indeed quite gay!

Miles - - Have you got anything to add?

You are correct, Princess.  They did "The Band Wagon" on Broadway in 1931.  Fred's dancing partner for "Dancing In The Dark" in that show was Tilly Losch.  I must admit that I am not familiar with her.  That show was indeed a musical revue, as opposed to the movie, which actually had a story.  The movie was originally going to be titled "I Love Louisa", which is one of the songs in it, because Twentieth Century Fox owned the rights to the title "The Band Wagon".  in 1949, Fox made a version called "Dancing In The Dark" with William Powell, Betsy Drake, and Mark Stevens.  MGM eventually broke down and paid about $10,000 for the rights to the title.

Princess, you're up next.   

This performer started as a singer and a tap dancer. In the 19 thirties and forties she tap danced with the best in "A" movies.

It wasn't until the 1950s that she finally hit her stride with starring roles in dramas and musicals--one musical earned her an Academy Award nomination.

Can you name this all around versatile dramatic and musical performer?

When you identify this performer and one of her dramatic and musical roles each - - can you also name the great tap dancers that she appeared with, as well as those corresponding films?

Very beautiful Dorothy Dandridge? she danced with Bill Robinson in The Big Broadcast of 1936 and Sammy Davis Jr in Porgy and Bess ???

Lav, I didn't think that was easy that was very very good!

The movie that I always watch is Sun Valley serenade where she dances with the Nicholas Brothers in Chattanooga Choo Choo won't you Choo Choo me home.

Since Miles isn't here to give us one of his interesting tidbits--

I'll just remind everyone that she was married to one of the Nicholas Brothers, Harold Nicholas.

Hopefully Miss Dandridge is not a forgotten Musical performer.

Lav,

it's all yours--

This tap dancer started in Vaudeville. So for years he did the same routines over and over again.

When he was signed by a studio, they feared that he wouldn't be able to appear in many musicals because he had difficulty learning new steps fast. They gave him a poor prognosis for success.

But with his strong Vaudeville background, he eventually was able to pick up new material, proving the studio bigwigs wrong.

Please name this tap dancer and at least one movie that proves how wrong they really were.

This tap dancer started in Vaudeville. So for years he did the same routines over and over again.

When he was signed by a studio, they feared that he wouldn't be able to appear in many musicals because he had difficulty learning new steps fast. They gave him a poor prognosis for success.

But with his strong Vaudeville background, he eventually was able to pick up new material, proving the studio bigwigs wrong.

Please name this tap dancer and at least one movie that proves how wrong they really were.

Hin: This tap dancer had a long and varied movie career.

I've been thinking it's Donald O'Connor. If that is who it is, then the film I'm naming to prove how wrong the studio bigwigs were is Call Me Madam.

Yes, Star-- but I think they found that out sooner with Singin' in the Rain.

Star, you're up--

Thanks, Star.  I have to admit that I'm glad that they went with Judy and Gene.  Their performances added so much to the film.  Judy's acting and singing skills were better than Eleanor's, and Gene's dancing skills were better than Dan's.  The best part is that this film gave Gene Kelly his very first film role -- and what a debut it was! 

Next:  This dancer had a memorable "dance" number in a 1950s musical.  It has been referenced and parodied in commercials and music videos.  The host of the 2014 Tony Awards even "performed" this number. 

Please name the dancer who originally performed this number and the 1950s musical. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure you must be referring to Bobby Van's "hopping" dance in Small Town Girl, and if my memory serves me correctly Neil Patrick Harris performed it at the Tonys.

Yes, that's correct.  Good job.  Neil Patrick Harris was a good guess because he has hosted the Tonys recently.  However, it was actually Hugh Jackman who performed it at the Tonys in 2014.

Unfortunately, I can't find a video of Bobby Van jumping to the original music.  Here's a video of Hugh Jackman paying tribute to Bobby Van's jumping number at the Tony awards.  Sorry, but the video quality isn't the greatest.  During the video, take a look at what's on the TV screen (around the 2:30 mark)!! 

OK, the thread's all yours, Star.

• Like 1