Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

Thanks, Miles.  Yes, it's a pity that the Academy Awards judges failed to appreciate this brilliantly written song and Joe Penner's wonderful singing voice.  LOL

Maybe they should have let the duck sing the song instead.  It probably would have sounded better.

:lol:

Open thread. 

Hey, was that a wise quack?

The songwriters from "College Rhythm" had a hit song a year earlier in a movie that featured a popular tenor of the day and an actress who would soon be known for her dancing more than her singing.  It also featured a production number that borrows many ideas from Busby Berkely.  Can you name that song and the movie where it was featured?

Hey, was that a wise quack?

The songwriters from "College Rhythm" had a hit song a year earlier in a movie that featured a popular tenor of the day and an actress who would soon be known for her dancing more than her singing. It also featured a production number that borrows many ideas from Busby Berkely. Can you name that song and the movie where it was featured?

Ginger Rogers in 1933's Sitting Pretty is a footnote in my history of Astaire and Rogers. But the big song for that movie was Did You Ever See a Dream Walking?--Revel & Gordon

Is that the song You Wanted?

That's the one, Princess.  Don't confuse this "Sitting Pretty" with the later movie with Clifton Webb.  The tenor is Art Jarrett.  The movie starred Jack Haley and Jack Oakie.  The dance director "borrowed" heavily from Busby Berkely, as you will see in this vintage clip:

The songwriters were Mack Gordon and Harry Revel.

It's your thread, Princess.

Miles, your first guess is always right.

Paul Draper was the tap dancer who danced to classical and baroque music--what a guy!

Can you just hear Paul saying, "Scarlatti, give me that beat for my tour jeté!"

Well, I better stick with a Maxie Ford and a I Got Rhythm pickup--

Miles, Now it's your turn to flap ball-change to the next question--

I don't know about a flap-ball change, but I can really flap my gums!  

A song that was recorded by Al Jolson became a hit for Judy Garland.  A little later, it was a hit for a big band, who performed it in a wartime musical.  Can you name the song and movie, as well as the band and the female singer?  The movie featured a young Donald O'Connor.

I don't know about a flap-ball change, but I can really flap my gums!

A song that was recorded by Al Jolson became a hit for Judy Garland. A little later, it was a hit for a big band, who performed it in a wartime musical. Can you name the song and movie, as well as the band and the female singer? The movie featured a young Donald O'Connor.

You Made Me Love You was 1 of Jolie's songs--"you dog".

It became Judy's song when Roger Edens wrote her an introduction featuring Clark Gable for the movie Broadway Melody of 1938.

After that Judy was to take a number of Jolie's songs for her repertoire.

Helen Forrest sang You Made Me Love You with Harry James and his orchestra in Private Buckaroo.

Miles-- is this one of your favorite early Donald O'Connor movies?

When I was a kid, I really liked the Milkman series. But our milkman could not tap dance.

In the forties, Universal featured Donald O'Connor and Peggy Ryan in a series of musicals for teenagers, however this was more of an all star musical to help boost morale early in World War II.  It is indeed "You Made Me Love You" from "Private Buckaroo".  The song became a major hit for Harry James and his band and Helen Forrest was one of the best band vocalists of the era.  Here they are:

And here are Donald, Peggy and the Jivin' Jacks and Jills a little later in the movie:

Tommy Rall is one of the dancers.

Princess, you're up next.

Tommy Rall was well-trained in ballet, a technique that enhances your tap dancing, thus making you an all-round well-trained dancer.

In one legendary musical, he partnered the star in a well-known ballet.

When you name the musical and the star, please don't forget to also identify the ballet.

I'm tutu-less, so bear with me...

This is sort of an open-ended question...I can only think of two songs in movie musicals that have a telephone number in the lyrics..so anyone who can come up with two or more, the song's name, and film gets the thread...

Well, unfortunately, I can only give one example.  A phone number is mentioned on the song "It's a Perfect Relationship", which was sung by Judy Holliday in Bells Are Ringing.  The number is "Plaza 04433" -- an old-fashioned telephone number.

Maybe someone else can come up with another one?

One song is easy.  Glenn Miller and his orchestra had a hit song called "Pennsylvania 6-5000".  It was featured in "The Glenn Miller Story" with James Stewart.  It was the phone number of the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York where the band was staying.  The hotel has had a few name changes over the years, it was once the "Statler Hilton", and later the "New York Penta", but now it's back to it's original name and the phone number is still the same, (212) 736-5000.  It's across the street from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden.

Listen to it here:

• Like 1

Thanks, Shutoo.   And thank you for coming up with the other song, Miles.  Believe it or not, I've never even heard of that song (and I still haven't seen The Glenn Miller Story.) 

Miles, you can have the thread. 

Thanks.  When you call the Hotel Pennsylvania and get put on hold, you will hear the song "Pennsylvania 6-5000".  When it was called the New York Penta, I stayed there a few times.  My brother and a friend and I went to the Big East basketball tournament several times in the eighties and stayed there a few times.  It was convenient for the tournament, but it was very expensive, and not exactly luxurious.  One year our room was right next to the elevator shaft and all night we heard the elevator rattling.  One other year the Syracuse cheerleaders must have been staying on our floor, because they used to practice in the corridor, at strange hours.  The last time we went, we stayed a few blocks away for about half the price.  By the way, the hotel was featured in the 1986 movie "The Manhattan Project" with John Lithgow.

Now, a big band singer with a lot of vitality (not Betty Hutton) made a few movies and was usually typecast as a band singer.  In one such movie, Van Johnson played the band leader and they played a song on a train, as well as other songs at a resort hotel.  Can you name the movie and the female vocalist?

Thanks.  When you call the Hotel Pennsylvania and get put on hold, you will hear the song "Pennsylvania 6-5000".  When it was called the New York Penta, I stayed there a few times.  My brother and a friend and I went to the Big East basketball tournament several times in the eighties and stayed there a few times.  It was convenient for the tournament, but it was very expensive, and not exactly luxurious.  One year our room was right next to the elevator shaft and all night we heard the elevator rattling.  One other year the Syracuse cheerleaders must have been staying on our floor, because they used to practice in the corridor, at strange hours.  The last time we went, we stayed a few blocks away for about half the price.  By the way, the hotel was featured in the 1986 movie "The Manhattan Project" with John Lithgow.

Interesting story, Miles.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm tempted to call the hotel just to hear the song.  (Hopefully, I'd they would put me on hold.  Ha! )

Now, a big band singer with a lot of vitality (not Betty Hutton) made a few movies and was usually typecast as a band singer.  In one such movie, Van Johnson played the band leader and they played a song on a train, as well as other songs at a resort hotel.  Can you name the movie and the female vocalist?

I think it's Connie Haines (who I adore).  She appeared in The Duchess of Idaho.  ("Let's Choo-Choo-Choo to Idaho" is my favorite song in that movie.)

That's correct, Azure.  Connie Haines sang with both Tommy Dorsey and Harry James, as did Frank Sinatra.  Here she is with Van and the band in "Duchess Of Idaho".

It was just on TCM a few days ago.  The movie is noteworthy for being Eleanor Powell's last film.  I know that the Princess Of Tap will appreciate this next clip.

Good job, Azure.  You get to go next.

• Like 1

Thanks, Miles. 

Next:  Fred Astaire had to convincingly play a drunk during a dance number in a musical film.  Instead of just pretending to be drunk, he had two drinks of bourbon before the first take and one before each succeeding take. The seventh and last take was used in the film.  In which film did Fred Astaire dance "under the influence"?