Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

I think I remember reading that he took a few drinks before filming the One for My Baby number in The Sky's the Limit.  However, I think he may also have done the same thing for the dance he does in Holiday Inn when he comes to the inn on New Year's Eve after he's had several drinks.

I think I remember reading that he took a few drinks before filming the One for My Baby number in The Sky's the Limit.  However, I think he may also have done the same thing for the dance he does in Holiday Inn when he comes to the inn on New Year's Eve after he's had several drinks.

I had the scene from Holiday Inn in mind when I wrote the question, but I think you're right about the scene in The Sky's the Limit.  So you get bonus points for mentioning the scene from TSTL!  Well done, Star.  Your turn. 

In one musical film, Charles Winninger played the father-in-law of George Murphy. In another musical, he played George's father. Can you name the two movies?

Well, all I know is that Charles Winninger was the sweet Vaudeville dad for Judy in Zigfield Girls. From there I'm going to stick with Judy and MGM - - because that's always my first point of reference for musicals.

As I can recall George Murphy was the husband for Judy in Little Nellie Kelly. So knowing how MGM does things, I'm just going to go for Charles Winninger as her father Encore une fois.

The other movie for those two is Broadway Rhythm - - I only know that from Lena Horne's autobiography.

I like MGM questions.

Olga San Juan danced with Fred Astaire in "Blue Skies". She was married to Edmond O'Brien. He sang a song in "The Girl Can't Help It".

Yes, Miles--

Things got Hot in Blue Skies when Fred Astaire and Olga danced to Heat Wave.

A number that Marilyn Monroe reprised in the Irving Berlin's spectacular There's No Business Like Show Business.

The legendary Ethel Waters originally introduced this song on Broadway in Berlin's As Thousands Cheer in 1933.

And Olga's husband, actor Edmond O'Brien, performed the hilarious Rock Around The Rockpile in Frank Tashlin's Technicolor classic rock movie, The Girl Can't Help It.

Well, Miles-- you can't help it; it looks like you're always right.

Back in the saddle with Miles--

Thanks, and since Princess mentioned "Back In The Saddle", that reminds me of a Gene Autry movie where his leading lady was played by a musical star who made very few westerns.  She was still a few years away from her best movies at a major studio when she and a noted comic actor/singer showed up in this somewhat light-hearted western.  Can you name the actress and the movie?  Bonus points for naming the comic relief actor.

Here's a hint: They both were in some MGM musicals in the late forties. She once danced with Fred Astaire. He once did a movie with Frank Sinatra.

Yes, Miles--Turnabout is fair play. Of course, I had to do a little research on this one. But my intuition told me you were talking about Jimmy Durante, so it wasn't as hard as it could have been. Jimmy Durante did It Happened in Brooklyn with Frank.

The Gene Autry movie is Melody Ranch and the co-star is tap dance phenomenon Ann Miller.

I had to see it to believe it--those two in a Gene Autry movie. But everybody has to start somewhere.

This was a good question obviously because you tied in your cowboy with one of my tap dancers.

GOOD SHOW!

Yes, Miles--Turnabout is fair play. Of course, I had to do a little research on this one. But my intuition told me you were talking about Jimmy Durante, so it wasn't as hard as it could have been. Jimmy Durante did It Happened in Brooklyn with Frank.

The Gene Autry movie is Melody Ranch and the co-star is tap dance phenomenon Ann Miller.

I had to see it to believe it--those two in a Gene Autry movie. But everybody has to start somewhere.

This was a good question obviously because you tied in your cowboy with one of my tap dancers.

GOOD SHOW!

Miles-- We'Re vamping until you're finished putting--

You are correct, Princess.  When TCM showed "Go West, Young Lady" last week, I saw Ann Miller in it and remembered that she had made another western, "Melody Ranch" at Republic Studios.  Republic Studio head Herbert Yates was notoriously tight with a dollar.  Since the budget for "Melody Ranch" was higher than usual because of Ann Miller and Jimmy Durante, Gene Autry's regular co-star, Smiley Burnette, was left out of the picture.

Princess, you get to post the next one.

I will venture a guess that it might be Tommy Steele, who was supposed to be Britain's version of Elvis.  He had a few hit records, including a version of "Singin' The Blues" at about the same time that Guy Mitchell had his own version.  Tommy Steele starred on Broadway in "Half A Sixpence", then he starred in the movie version.  He was also in the Disney film "The Happiest Millionaire", and the movie version of "Finian's Rainbow", where he played Og, the Leprechaun.

Yeah, Miles-- it's Tommy Steele.

I don't remember him at all in rock and roll, but I had that record of Guy Mitchell's. I always liked it a lot. It was only a couple years ago that I found out that he covered country artist Marty Robbins verbatim in the performance. One of those deals Like Pat Boone used to do with black artists. I think Teresa Brewer did that to Hank Williams with Honkytonkin too.

I had always heard that Tommy Steele was a big hit in Half a Sixpence in London and on Broadway, but the only time I've ever seen him was in Finian's Rainbow with Fred Astaire.

Maybe I'm running out of questions too. I really had to reach back to find that one. LOL

Good guess.

Miles, it's all yours--

Thanks.  In movies, it is quite common for a child actor or actress to play a character as a child, then later, that character is played by someone else as an adult.  In a sixties musical, based on the life of a real life entertainer, a character as a child was played by two different young actresses at different ages.  Both of these young actresses would go on to have successful adult acting careers.  Ironically, the character that they portrayed, who also had a successful acting career, did not appear as an adult in this movie.  Can you name the movie and the two young actresses?

Thanks. In movies, it is quite common for a child actor or actress to play a character as a child, then later, that character is played by someone else as an adult. In a sixties musical, based on the life of a real life entertainer, a character as a child was played by two different young actresses at different ages. Both of these young actresses would go on to have successful adult acting careers. Ironically, the character that they portrayed, who also had a successful acting career, did not appear as an adult in this movie. Can you name the movie and the two young actresses?

Morgan Brittany and and Ann Jillian portrayed June Havoc in Gypsy. June's character did not appear as an adult in the movie.