Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

For Fred Astaire, I'm going to say Hermes Pan and he danced with Rita Hayworth in My Gal Sal.

For Gene Kelly, I believe his two assistants were Carol Haney and Jeanne Coyne and they both appeared in On the Town.

Good job, Star--

Also, Pan often choreographed his protégé Betty Grable and danced with her most notably in Moon Over Miami.

And both Carol Haney and Jeanne Coyne were featured in From This Moment on in Kiss Me Kate.

Star, the next dance is yours--

This Oscar nominated musical, including for Best Picture, was the first time the composer worked with a supporting actress in the picture.  He was so impressed with her that he told her he would work with her again and subsequently wrote two Broadway musicals for her, one of which she would also star in when the film version was made. 

Name the Oscar nominated musical, the composer, the actress, the two Broadway shows he wrote for her and the one she starred in on film.  It sounds like a lot, but once you get the picture and/or the composer the rest should be fairly easy to figure out.

This Oscar nominated musical, including for Best Picture, was the first time the composer worked with a supporting actress in the picture.  He was so impressed with her that he told her he would work with her again and subsequently wrote two Broadway musicals for her, one of which she would also star in when the film version was made. 

Name the Oscar nominated musical, the composer, the actress, the two Broadway shows he wrote for her and the one she starred in on film.  It sounds like a lot, but once you get the picture and/or the composer the rest should be fairly easy to figure out.

Ok, here goes. The Oscar nominated musical is "Alexander's Ragtime Band", the composer is Irving Berlin, the actress is Ethel Merman, the two Broadway shows Berlin wrote for Miss Merman are "Annie Get Your Gun" and "Call Me Madam" in which Miss Merman starred in the film version. Is this correct?

Thanks, Star,

In this Best Picture Nominated Musical, the choreographer, with the exception of the lead male, wanted all the featured characters to be dancers, both male and female.  The choreographer got what he wanted with the exception of two.  Name the Best Picture Nominated musical, the choreographer, and the two individuals in featured roles who were not dancers.

"West Side Story" (1961), Jerome Robbins was the choreographer, Rita Moreno as Anita, and George Chakiris as Bernardo were the non dancers..

Rita Moreno and George Chakiris are two of the greatest dancers to ever appear in a musical-- but they're also great actors-- in any case it was both areas that won them the Academy Awards they so richly deserved.

The 2 non-dancers in West Side Story,when I say that I'm talking about professional dancers, the two who were professional actors played Maria and Tony - - Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer.

Natalie Wood knew some elementary dance movements, but she certainly was no professional dancer.

• Like 1

Rita Moreno and George Chakiris are two of the greatest dancers to ever appear in a musical-- but they're also great actors-- in any case it was both areas that won them the Academy Awards they so richly deserved.

The 2 non-dancers in West Side Story,when I say that I'm talking about professional dancers, the two who were professional actors played Maria and Tony - - Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer.

Natalie Wood knew some elementary dance movements, but she certainly was no professional dancer.

Clue: The film is not West Side Story, however, one of the featured players in West Side Story was considered one of the "non-dancers" in this 1950's musical which was nominated for Best Picture. 

Clue: The film is not West Side Story, however, one of the featured players in West Side Story was considered one of the "non-dancers" in this 1950's musical which was nominated for Best Picture.

Michael Kidd was the choreographer of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Howard Keel and Jane Powell starred and they are not dancers. However, Jane Powell danced exceedingly, professionally well in Royal Wedding with Fred Astaire. But she was known as and hired as a soprano.

Russ Tamblyn who was one of the featured actors in West Side Story, was also a featured actor in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. He was a professional acrobat and actor who could pass himself off as a professional dancer.LOL

Michael Kidd was the choreographer of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Howard Keel and Jane Powell starred and they are not dancers. However, Jane Powell danced exceedingly, professionally well in Royal Wedding with Fred Astaire. But she was known as and hired as a soprano.

Russ Tamblyn who was one of the featured actors in West Side Story, was also a featured actor in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. He was a professional acrobat and actor who could pass himself off as a professional dancer.LOL

Good job, Princess. Other than the character of Adam Pontipee, Michael Kidd wanted all the brides and brothers to be dancers. He got what he wanted except for two of the brothers, Benjamin, Jeff Richards a former professional baseball player, who stayed in the background, and Gideon, Russ Tamblyn, who as you mentioned was a professional acrobat and Kidd integrated his acrobatic abilities into the barn raising dance. The other four brothers were of course professional dancers - Matt Mattox, Tommy Rall, Marc Platt, and Jacques d'Amboise.

The thread is yours.

• Like 1

Thanx, Marsha

This Tony award-winning actress/ musical comedy performer was better known on Broadway and on the London stage than in Hollywood.

She was featured in two major 1950's MGM musicals.

If you can name her, you can name those two musicals as well.

Thank you, Princess.

Two entertainers not known for their film work appeared together in a 30’s musical.  They would both be portrayed by the same actress in two different biopics.  Name the entertainers, the actress who portrayed them, and the 3 movies.

Thank you, Princess.

Two entertainers not known for their film work appeared together in a 30’s musical. They would both be portrayed by the same actress in two different biopics. Name the entertainers, the actress who portrayed them, and the 3 movies.

Star--

Without giving this away, can you give another clue?

One of the performers was known for the catch phrase “Hello, suckers!”  The other one was a vaudeville headliner known as the “Queen of Syncopation” and was still performing at the time the biopic about her came out in the early 50’s. 

One of the performers was known for the catch phrase “Hello, suckers!” The other one was a vaudeville headliner known as the “Queen of Syncopation” and was still performing at the time the biopic about her came out in the early 50’s.

I grew up watching Incendiary Blonde, in which Betty Hutton portrays Texas Guinan. Since so many tap dancers started at her nightclub, she's often mentioned in jazz dance history.

But Blossom Seeley really takes me way back - - she certainly wasn't on my radar.

Both Texas Guinan and Blossom Seeley were in Broadway through a Keyhole.

The Betty Hutton movie where she portrays Blossom Seeley is Somebody Loves Me.

That was a hard question for me because of the second part - - but I suppose any really big Betty Hutton fan could have picked that up immediately.

Star, Very well-thought-out question!

Star, you're too kind.

Next: This musical comedy movie star portrayed a famous Broadway dancer in the movies. She retired in the prime of her career to marry another famous Hollywood movie star.

When you identify her, can you also identify her famous movie star husband and the film in which she portrayed the famous Broadway dancer?