Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

Muddy--great to remember George Chakiris--what a dancer and actor!

This woman was a dancer's dancer--never made a wrong move. She danced in almost score of movies. Even though she did get that big break--starring in an A list legendary musical, she never made the breakthrough to superstardom.

Despite her movies, she's best remembered for her TV appearances and her shows in Vegas.

She is_________?

Edited by: cujas on Jan 11, 2012 3:05 PM

Aranxa--Juliet Prowse was, indeed, a dancer's dancer; I saw her once in "Sweet Charity". But her dance career in movies was only a couple of films. And she never had the lead in a blockbuster lengedary musical.

Hint: The referenced dancer below danced with Dan Dailey, Donald O'Connor and __you fill in the blank.

Miles--longtime, no see.

Yes it could be and is Mitzi Gaynor! She was and is a dancer's dream.

Her big role was as corny as Kansas in August--"South Pacific".

Miles--have you got one?

Thanks. Mitzi Gaynor and Donald O'Connor played brother and sister in "There's No Business Like Show Business" and they were matched romantically in the remake of "Anything Goes".

Now, this popular song and dance star paid tribute to Al Jolson, Eddie Cantor, and Fred and Ginger in a number from a Fox movie. Can you name the star, the film, and the song?

Still no guesses? I actually posted about this song in the "Do You Know This Song" thread a few months ago. The male lead in this film made lots of movies in the thirties and forties, but this may have been his only musical. He later had a very nice television career with two highly rated series.

> {quote:title=MilesArcher wrote:

> T}{quote}his popular song and dance star paid tribute to Al Jolson, Eddie Cantor, and Fred and Ginger in a number from a Fox movie. Can you name the star, the film, and the song?

Shirley Temple in STOWAWAY (1936)?

Song:

"You Gotta S-M-I-L-E To Be H-A-Double-P-Y"

Yes, Mr. Novelty. I'm glad some one finally got it. I didn't want to have to give it away. I thought maybe cujas would get it, but I guess she was busy watching football. Yes, it's little Shirley starring with Alice Faye and Robert Young. Here's a clip of her from the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkLoJvddSj0&feature=related

Your turn, mn.

We're going to be looking for a person here, not a song or film title.

She's an excellent dancer and choreographer. Started in Hollywood in the early 1950's. Appeared in lots of films in the 1950's but not in leading roles. She had success in 1950's television working with a certain popular star as his choreographer and dancing partner.

Who is she?

Not who I'm thinking of, even if she may match some of the clues.

More clues:

In the 1960's she worked in two movies and one TV series starring one of the top comedians of the period (and of all-time, although there are some who don't care for him).

In the 1950's she also made one comedy film with one of the most popular comedy teams in films.

She is still living and doing well, although retired.

No.......

More clues:

In addition to movies and TV, she also worked in theater and night clubs.

She was best known as a dancer and choreographer, but also was an actress in dramatic roles, but in more comedies than dramas.

She also produced a documentary on the star in whose 1950's TV show she was choreographer and dancing partner.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> In the 1960's she worked in two movies and one TV series starring one of the top comedians of the period (and of all-time, although there are some who don't care for him).

>

Adding to this previously posted clue:

Our mystery lady and this famous comedian have the same last name, but are not related.

> {quote:title=MilesArcher wrote:

> }{quote}Musical Novelty, it's been a while. Could you please give us either more clues or an answer? Thanks.

I guess I was waiting for another guess before posting another clue.

Another clue:

Our mystery lady was married from the mid-to-late 1950's (then divorced) to a very prolific award-winning TV and movie director and producer (IMDb lists 651 credits!) He directed episodes of some of the most popular TV series ever.

He just passed away less than a week ago.

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:

> }{quote}Sylvia Lewis?

Correct!

She's always been one of my favorite performers so I thought I'd pick her as my "mystery lady" - and it's always a pleasure to rave about her talents, as she's been a good friend too, for many years!

So, to explain the clues:

The popular star on whose TV show she was choreographer and dancing partner was Ray Bolger.

The top comedian with whom she made two movies and worked in his TV series was Jerry Lewis.

And he's the star with whom she worked who had the same last name, but is no relation.

The popular comedy team with whom she made a film in the 1950's was The Three Stooges (short BEDLAM IN PARADISE, 1955).

The documentary she produced & directed about the star with whom she worked on TV was called "More Than a Scarecrow", about Ray Bolger. It was actually a compilation of some of the best dancing and comedy numbers from Ray Bolger's TV show. It was hosted by Donald O'Connor. It was completed in 1990 and for years Sylvia was shopping it around to TV stations, hoping that PBS or TCM or A&E might want to run it. She gave me a copy many years ago and it's been a special favorite of mine, especially being a gift from Sylvia herself. Eventually she told me that she was just going to put it out for all of Ray's fans to enjoy, so she posted it on YouTube, where one can also enjoy many other wonderful Sylvia Lewis clips of her performances from such movies and TV shows as THE CONQUEROR, SIREN OF BAGDAD, THE LADIES MAN, CHA-CHA-CHA-BOOM!, "The Dick Van Dyke Show", etc.

Her former husband who just passed away was John Rich.

• 3 weeks later...

She was a dancer at MGM but few people remember her. She actually co-starred in a dramatic film with an MGM star, where she danced. Though she never became a big star, she was often featured on TV series and favored by one of Hollywood's most unique directors.