Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

16 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I liked the film Annie, although a few of the musical scenes I thought could have been cut a little, they ran a little too long. The reviews were mixed and some were bad. But, all in all,imo, and when my kids were younger, they also thought it was a fun, enjoyable film. Good work Star, your thread ;) 

I like Annie, too, lav, and always get a kick out of Albert Finney tap-dancing with Aileen Quinn near the end of the picture.

Next:

This actor and actress appeared in 3 films together, 2 of which were musicals that had a score by the same composer.  In each instance, the actor neither sang nor danced, leaving the musical chores to his leading lady.

Name the actor and actress, the 2 musicals and the composer.

The female star made 5 musicals with music by the same composer and had, in fact, also appeared in a stage production of one of his musicals, which brought her to the attention of Hollywood.  

The male star made many films, but only 3 of them were musicals and he didn't sing or dance in any of them.  

Irene Dunne was in five movies with music by Jerome Kern:

Sweet Adeline (1934), Roberta (1935), Show Boat (1936), High, Wide, And Handsome (1937), and Joy Of Living (1938)

She was in three movies with Randolph Scott:

Roberta, High, Wide, And Handsome, and My Favorite Wife.  Of the three, My Favorite Wife was not a musical.

Randolph Scott also appeared in the musical Follow The Fleet, with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, but that one had music by Irving Berlin.

Irene Dunne had appeared in a stage production of Show Boat before she became a movie star.

Jerome Kern died in 1945.  His movie biopic, Till The Clouds Roll By, was released in 1946.

• Like 1

Can you name the musical that was based on, or should we say inspired by, the early career of Buster Keaton?  There's lots of old songs and lots of dancing in this film.  And no, it's not "The Buster Keaton Story" with Donald O'Connor.

Yes, that's the one, Star.  Part of the movie's plot involves the Gerry Society, which was formed to limit child labor hours.  In the film, as in real life, the parents tell the Society that the fellow billed as their son is actually an adult midget. 

Nice work, Starlit.  You're up next.

Several Best Picture Oscar winners have been musicals.  Some, like 1951's "An American In Paris" were written directly for the screen.  Others, like 1961's "West Side Story" were film adaptations of Broadway musicals.  I believe that only one Best Picture Oscar winner was a musical adaptation of a non-musical Broadway play.  Can you name that movie?  

5 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Several Best Picture Oscar winners have been musicals.  Some, like 1951's "An American In Paris" were written directly for the screen.  Others, like 1961's "West Side Story" were film adaptations of Broadway musicals.  I believe that only one Best Picture Oscar winner was a musical adaptation of a non-musical Broadway play.  Can you name that movie?  

"My Fair Lady" is adapted from George Bernard Shaw's play, "Pygmalion".

Yes, but the movie was adapted from the Broadway musical "My Fair Lady".  Just like "Oliver" is from Dickens' "Oliver Twist", but the movie is still an adaptation of a Broadway musical.  My questioned is still unanswered.  

What Best Picture Oscar winner was a musical adaptation of a non-musical Broadway play?  That is, the story never had music in it's Broadway run.

4 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Yes, but the movie was adapted from the Broadway musical "My Fair Lady".  Just like "Oliver" is from Dickens' "Oliver Twist", but the movie is still an adaptation of a Broadway musical.  My questioned is still unanswered.  

What Best Picture Oscar winner was a musical adaptation of a non-musical Broadway play?  That is, the story never had music in it's Broadway run.

I had the wrong Lerner and Loewe-- it's "Gigi".

Yes, "Gigi" had been a non-musical Broadway play that opened in 1951 and it starred a young Audrey Hepburn in the title role.  

Oscar winners "West Side Story", "My Fair Lady', "The Sound Of Music", "Oliver", and "Chicago" were all adaptations of Broadway musicals.

Other Oscar winners "The Broadway Melody", "The Great Ziegfeld", "Going My Way", "An American In Paris", and "The Artist" were written directly for the screen.

Nice work, Princess.  You're up next.

• Thanks 1

Next:

*This musical was directed by a MGM star.

It was choreographed by a MGM choreographer.

It was conducted by a MGM musical director.

The original Broadway musical, that the movie musical was adapted from was also directed and choreographed by a MGM star.

We are looking here for the names of four different people who all worked at MGM during the Golden Era of Hollywood musicals.

And, last but not least, don't forget to identify the musical in question.

*Hint: This musical is not a MGM production.

It sure sounds like "Hello, Dolly!".  The 1969 movie was made by 20th Century-Fox and was directed by Gene Kelly.  Michael Kidd was the choreographer and Lennie Hayton was the conductor.  The original Broadway show was directed and choreographed by Gower Champion.

8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

It sure sounds like "Hello, Dolly!".  The 1969 movie was made by 20th Century-Fox and was directed by Gene Kelly.  Michael Kidd was the choreographer and Lennie Hayton was the conductor.  The original Broadway show was directed and choreographed by Gower Champion.

Yes, Miles:

Gene Kelly resurrected the MGM Arthur Freed Unit one last time For Old Times Sake and for the last great musical comedy star of the 20th century, Barbra Streisand.

Also on board were Harry Stradling for cinematography, Irene Sharaff for costumes and the ubiquitous Roger Edens as associate producer.

Lennie Hayton and Irene Sharaff won Oscars for their contributions.

Miles, you certainly are a man who never disappoints. You're up.....

Ethel Merman had great success on Broadway starring in "Annie Get Your Gun" with music by Irving Berlin.  However, as was the case with so many musicals adapted from Broadway shows, she did not appear in the movie version.  But Ethel still got to appear in a number of movies where she sang Irving Berlin songs.  I believe there were four such movies.  Can you name all four?

On 8/17/2019 at 1:50 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

A 1930s musical starring 2 female performers who would become top Musical performers of the 1940s.

( I have an answer, but creativity is always rewarded. If you've got a different one so be it & Brownie points for more than one!)

Although they both sang and danced in the musicals, one was noted more for her singing while the other was noted more for her General persona.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:50 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

A 1930s musical starring 2 female performers who would become top Musical performers of the 1940s.

( I have an answer, but creativity is always rewarded. If you've got a different one so be it & Brownie points for more than one!)

On 8/22/2019 at 9:25 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Although they both sang and danced in the musicals, one was noted more for her singing while the other was noted more for her general persona.

Each actress had a contract with different big Golden Age studios in the 1940s.