Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

On 8/17/2019 at 1:50 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

A 1930s musical starring 2 female performers who would become top Musical performers of the 1940s.

( I have an answer, but creativity is always rewarded. If you've got a different one so be it & Brownie points for more than one!)

On 8/22/2019 at 9:25 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Although they both sang and danced in the musicals, one was noted more for her singing while the other was noted more for her General persona.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:03 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Each actress had a contract with different big Golden Age studios in the 1940s.

20 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#3-- Both actresses ended their career primarily doing live performances and TV appearances.

Hint#4)-- In the 1940s both actresses married successful, famous men in the Hollywood entertainment industry. 

30 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Although they weren't the top stars in the movie, Judy Garland and Betty Grable both appeared in "Pigskin Parade" in 1936.  I believe that they fit the rest of the clues.

Yes,  Miles, you're correct and that's par for the course. This is Judy's first full length movie and what a voice she had for her debut!

Miles, it's your turn to play through.....

Frequent guests on "The Ed Sullivan Show" were a group of comic harmonica players that featured a midget dressed as a cowboy.  Years earlier, under the name "Harmonica Rascals" they appeared in a musical that starred Walter Huston as an ex-con who has come back home to see his family.  Can you name the movie, as well as the little harmonica player?

29 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Frequent guests on "The Ed Sullivan Show" were a group of comic harmonica players that featured a midget dressed as a cowboy.  Years earlier, under the name "Harmonica Rascals" they appeared in a musical that starred Walter Huston as an ex-con who has come back home to see his family.  Can you name the movie, as well as the little harmonica player?

"Always in My Heart" featured Borrah Minevich and his Harmonica Rascals

After Borrah died the diminutive Johnny Puleo reformed the group under his own Direction. I remember Johnny very well in classic TV oh, he was often on Perry Como and Milton Berle. I was a big fan of his; I loved those chaps that he wore.

Miles, this is a real Retro question too. But I don't go back any further than Milton Berle. LOL

Miles, now's the time for you to put on your Texaco Fire Chief Helmet for inspiration for the next question.....

OK, Princess, if you insist.

A Broadway show with music by Cole Porter was adapted for the screen, but only a few of Porter's songs were retained for the movie version.   The lead actress from Broadway was not in the movie version, however both the lead actress from the Broadway show and the lead actress from the movie version had appeared together previously in another Hollywood musical film.  Can you name the show and both lead actresses, as well as the earlier movie that they were in together? 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

OK, Princess, if you insist.

A Broadway show with music by Cole Porter was adapted for the screen, but only a few of Porter's songs were retained for the movie version.   The lead actress from Broadway was not in the movie version, however both the lead actress from the Broadway show and the lead actress from the movie version had appeared together previously in another Hollywood musical film.  Can you name the show and both lead actresses, as well as the earlier movie that they were in together? 

Well one of the ladies had to be Ethel Merman, who starred in Cole Porter's "Panama Hattie" on Broadway.

Ann Sothern had the lead in the MGM movie.

And both Ethel and Ann appeared in the Eddie Cantor movie "Kid Millions".

100% correct, Princess.  By the way, some of the original cast members of the 1941 Broadway show, some relative unknowns at the time, included:

Phyllis Brooks, Joan Carroll, James Dunn, Betty Hutton, Rags Ragland, Arthur Treacher, June Allyson, Betsy Blair, Lucille Bremer, Janis Carter, and Vera-Ellen.

Rags Ragland was in both the Broadway show and the movie version.  June Allyson was Ethel Merman's understudy in the Broadway show.

Here are Ethel Merman and Ann Sothern , along with Eddie Cantor, George Murphy, and the Nicholas Brothers in a clip from "Kid Millions":

Good job, Princess.  You're really up next this time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Doris Day?

That's what I thought until I looked it up.  Doris Day was considered, and she probably would have made a fine Nellie Forbush, but she was under contract to Warner Bros. and the movie was produced by Twentieth Century Fox.  The two studios could not agree on a loan out deal.  However, Doris was not the first choice of director Joshua Logan.  His choice was a young actress who was considered a hot property at the time, although she neither sang nor danced.  Any other guesses?

15 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

That's what I thought until I looked it up.  Doris Day was considered, and she probably would have made a fine Nellie Forbush, but she was under contract to Warner Bros. and the movie was produced by Twentieth Century Fox.  The two studios could not agree on a loan out deal.  However, Doris was not the first choice of director Joshua Logan.  His choice was a young actress who was considered a hot property at the time, although she neither sang nor danced.  Any other guesses?

Beautiful Elizabeth Taylor ?

Yes, believe it or not, Joshua Logan, who directed to show on Broadway, actually wanted Elizabeth Taylor for the role of Nellie, even though she was not a musical performer.  Can you see her doing the "Honey Bun" number?  Mary Martin, who starred in the show on Broadway, was forty-five and considered too old for the role.  According to IMDB, besides Liz and Doris, he also considered Judy Garland, Audrey Hepburn, and Ginger Rogers, and Ginger was older than Mary Martin.  

Here are some interesting clips of Mitzi Gaynor in a screen test for the part:

Lavender, you're up next.

I think it's "There's No Business Like Show Business".  Ethel Merman and Donald O'Connor played mother and son.  They had previously worked together in "Call Me Madam".  Both movies had music by Irving Berlin.  Berlin had worked with Ethel Merman previously on the Broadway show "Annie Get Your Gun" and the Hollywood movie "Alexander's Ragtime Band".  Donald O'Connor's love interest was played by Marilyn Monroe.  At the time, he was also making the "Francis, The Talking Mule" movie series. Here is the kissing scene with Donald and Marilyn: