Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

Thanks, Lavender.  I don't know if Donald O'Connor ever kissed Francis the mule, but rumor has it that they did sleep together.

ga8sx8merqj3agsq.jpg 

Now, here is a simple question.  What versatile musical performer played characters with the same name in two unrelated musicals, one in the 1940's and one more than thirty-five years later in the early 1980's?

8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  I don't know if Donald O'Connor ever kissed Francis the mule, but rumor has it that they did sleep together.

ga8sx8merqj3agsq.jpg 

Now, here is a simple question.  What versatile musical performer played characters with the same name in two unrelated musicals, one in the 1940's and one more than thirty-five years later in the early 1980's?

Simple question for people who think Gene Kelly is the greatest tap dancer in the movies. LOL

Gene played Danny McGuire in "Cover Girl" in the forties and years later in "Xanadu". 

You are correct, Princess.  "Xanadu" in 1980 was Gene's last theatrical movie.

Here is Gene in the alter-ego dance from "Cover Girl".  I think Princess can appreciate how difficult it was to film this.

And here he is with Olivia Newton-John in "Xanadu" in the last number that he choreographed.

Good work, Princess.  Now you get to do a flap ball change right into the next question.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This tap dancer got shut down twice by two other tap dancers, in two different movies, when he tried to get the girl in the last reel.

Hint#1) Both girls could put down some leather too.

Hint#2)  This tap dancer eventually gave up dancing and went into an altogether different profession.

On 9/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This tap dancer got shut down twice by two other tap dancers, in two different movies, when he tried to get the girl in the last reel.

Hint#1) Both girls could put down some leather too.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'll take a shot with George Murphy. He was shot down in Broadway Melody of 1940 by Eleanor Powell, she went for Fred and in For Me and My Gal, he loses out to Gene for Judy. Ok, Judy was no Eleanor Powell, but she was no slouch when it came to dancing ??????

• Like 1
Just now, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'll take a shot with George Murphy. He was shot down in Broadway Melody of 1940 by Eleanor Powell, she went for Fred and in For Me and My Gal, he loses out to Gene for Judy. Ok, Judy was no Eleanor Powell, but she was no slouch when it came to dancing ??????

Lav, You're on target as usual.

When I was a little girl tap dancing and I saw George Murphy tap dancing with Shirley Temple in " Little Miss Broadway", I thought he was so wonderful!

Of course, he went on to mentor Ronald Reagan and become a senator from California.

Lav, thanks for answering and look at my "Password" on page 2 sometime.

Thanks Princess

This musical was a remake of a film. One of the cast members of the original film, directed the musical remake. Title of the musical and the director and the role he played in the original film and who played his role in the musical version ???

This is a very good question, Lav.  Then actor Richard Quine appeared as Frank Lippincott in the 1942 non-musical film "My Sister Eileen".  He would later become a director and direct the 1955 musical remake with the same title.  In the remake, the role of Frank was played by Bob Fosse, who would also go on to become a director.

Richard Quine Picture 

Richard Quine

Related image 

Bob Fosse 

Richard Quine played Judy Garland's brother in "For Me And My Gal" in 1942.  That was Gene Kelly's first movie.  Gene would also later become a director.

16 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

This is a very good question, Lav.  Then actor Richard Quine appeared as Frank Lippincott in the 1942 non-musical film "My Sister Eileen".  He would later become a director and direct the 1955 musical remake with the same title.  In the remake, the role of Frank was played by Bob Fosse, who would also go on to become a director.

Richard Quine Picture 

Richard Quine

Related image 

Bob Fosse 

Richard Quine played Judy Garland's brother in "For Me And My Gal" in 1942.  That was Gene Kelly's first movie.  Gene would also later become a director.

Thanks for the compliment Miles, I thought it was a good question and interesting info. Richard Quine, besides his 4 marriages was at one time engaged to Kim Novak. He came to a tragic end, he was ill and committed suicide when he was only 68. Very sad, he was a very talented man. btw, Fosse, besides playing the role of Frank also choreographed the dance routines in the film. It's your thread Miles :)

19 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Richard Quine Picture 

Richard Quine

Related image 

Bob Fosse 

Miles, it's still your thread.

And thank you for that gorgeous picture of Bob Fosse!

Cole Porter's "Can-Can" -- danced by Shirley MacLaine  &

Cole Porter's "Silk Stockings"-- danced  by Cyd Charisse.

17 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Two consecutive film adaptations of Broadway musicals with scores by the same composer featured the title song in each case as an instrumental.

Name the two musicals and the composer.

4 hours ago, starliteyes said:

In both cases the title song was performed as a dance by the female star of the movie, and they were two different stars.  Please feel free to name them, too.

#1) This famous movie choreographer originally directed a hit Broadway Musical. But he did not choreograph the Broadway show.

The movie adaptation of the musical was choreographed by another well-known movie choreographer, who had nothing to do with the Broadway show. And it was also directed by another artist who had nothing to do with the original Broadway show.

#2) The famous movie choreographer (#1) who directed The above-mentioned Broadway musical, 

later directed another movie adaptation of a hit Broadway Musical.

But the original Broadway director /choreographer was not utilized for the movie adaptation.

Another well-known movie choreographer was called in to direct the movie.

Plus another well-known movie choreographer was called in to choreograph the movie.

What we have here is:

• 2 Broadway hit shows with directors and choreographers
  • 2 movie adaptations of the shows with directors and choreographers who did not participate in the original Broadway productions

What we need is the following:

1)The name of the two musicals

2) The names of all of the directors and choreographers responsible for the Broadway and movie productions

* A great big hint:

All of the artists involved are very well-known Golden Age movie directors and/or movie dancers and/or movie choreographers.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:00 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1) We're looking for 7 artists-- 6 are well-known Golden Age dancers

On 10/18/2019 at 3:09 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2-- Two dancers worked closely with Astaire or Kelly.

Hint#3-- One of the musicals is by Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Wow, Princess, this is a very involved question.  This may not be the answer because I don't come up with seven people, but maybe you can tell me if I'm close.

The Rodgers and Hammerstein musical could be "Flower Drum Song".

Broadway - Director Gene Kelly, Choreographer Carol Haney

Movie - Director Henry Koster, Choreographer Hermes Pan

The other show might be "Hello Dolly!"

Broadway - Director and Choreographer Gower Champion

Movie - Director Gene Kelly, Choreographer Michael Kidd

That's only six different people, so maybe I'm wrong somewhere.