Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

5 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Wow, Princess, this is a very involved question.  This may not be the answer because I don't come up with seven people, but maybe you can tell me if I'm close.

The Rodgers and Hammerstein musical could be "Flower Drum Song".

Broadway - Director Gene Kelly, Choreographer Carol Haney

Movie - Director Henry Koster, Choreographer Hermes Pan

The other show might be "Hello Dolly!"

Broadway - Director and Choreographer Gower Champion

Movie - Director Gene Kelly, Choreographer Michael Kidd

That's only six different people, so maybe I'm wrong somewhere.

Miles, of course you're right, you're always right! It was my mistake to count Gene Kelly twice oh, but I'm sure he would have liked that anyway. LOL

I apologize for this being a convoluted question; but I have always wanted to put something together to show how the different choreographers approached the same shows.

They were all MGM people so that made it all the more interesting.

Obviously Gene and Carol Haney worked well together because she was his Assistant at Metro.

But, Gene and Michael Kidd had had an acrimonious relationship on "It's Always Fair Weather oh, so that extended on into "Hello, Dolly".

And I can just imagine how that other great Metro dancer, Gower Champion, felt about getting locked out of his original show.

I think everybody's accounted for and it's great to see that Hermes Pan choreography in "Flower Drum Song" too.

Miles, Be a dear, and don't give me an awful question like this one. LOL

You're back in the saddle now.....

Kathryn Grayson starred in remakes of two Jerome Kern musicals, Show Boat (1936) and Roberta (1934), which was retitled Lovely to Look At for the remake.  In each case, the role she played (Magnolia) was played by Irene Dunne in the earlier version.  There was also an even earlier version of Show Boat, released in 1929, and the role of Magnolia was played by Laura La Plante.

She also appeared in remakes of Rio Rita (1929), The Desert Song (1929 & 1943) and The Vagabond King (1930).  The actresses who played the same role as Kathryn in the earlier versions were, respectively:  Bebe Daniels (Rio Rita), Carlotta King (The Desert Song, 1929), Irene Manning (The Desert Song, 1943), and Jeanette MacDonald (The Vagabond King).

Very good, Starlit.  I was only looking for four and you named all five musicals.  Rio Rita in 1942 was early in Kathryn's career.  The others were all in the 1950's.  Thanks for doing the research.  You get to post the next question.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, starliteyes said:

This was the last movie that the star who performed the number did at the studio where she had been under contract for a number of years.

Judy wanted to sing a Harold Arlen song, "Get Happy", with lyrics by Ted Koehler for her production number in "Summer Stock".

Harry Warren and Mack Gordon had written the rest of the score.

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Judy wanted to sing a Harold Arlen song, "Get Happy", with lyrics by Ted Koehler for her production number in "Summer Stock".

Harry Warren and Mack Gordon had written the rest of the score.

I knew you would know this one, Princess.  

And now it's your turn.

• Like 1
On 11/13/2019 at 9:58 PM, MilesArcher said:

Would it be George Raft?  He made two musicals with Carole Lombard, "Bolero" in 1934 and "Rhumba" in 1935.  Here he is dancing in "Bolero":

Miles, you're of man I can always depend on. That's a great answer and a great illustration for it.

1 Hollywood dancer had a tremendous respect for George Raft as a dancer. That's how I first learned about Raft's dancing ability years ago in Fred Astaire's autobiography.

It's been said, along with Errol Flynn, that George Raft's private life was more exciting than his fictional movies. LOL

Miles, lately you've been fired up and have had some great questions. Let's see another one.

A movie version of a Broadway show featured music by Jerome Kern and two top musical stars who danced together.  Some years later, there was a remake made and now another dance team was featured.  Strangely, in between the two movies, the two female members of the dance teams actually appeared together in another movie.  Can you name the two movies with Jerome Kern music, as well as the members of the two dance teams?  Bonus points if you can name the movie that the two female dancers appeared in together. 

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

A movie version of a Broadway show featured music by Jerome Kern and two top musical stars who danced together.  Some years later, there was a remake made and now another dance team was featured.  Strangely, in between the two movies, the two female members of the dance teams actually appeared together in another movie.  Can you name the two movies with Jerome Kern music, as well as the members of the two dance teams?  Bonus points if you can name the movie that the two female dancers appeared in together. 

The Jerome Kern play was Roberta. In the movie version Roberta Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers were the dance team. The remake was Lovely to Look At- Marge and Gower Champion were the dance team. Ginger Rogers and Marge Champion were in The Story of Irene and Vernon Castle together

13 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Bloodhounds of Broadway?

You got it starliteyes.  This Damon Runyon story made an enjoyable early vehicle for Mitzi Gaynor, then being groomed by 20th Century Fox as a possible replacement for Betty Grable, should Grable falter are the boxoffice.

Your turn.

• Thanks 1

A musical was planned as another in a series of musicals and it was to star two dancers.  However, it was never made and the two dancers never got another opportunity to work together.  One dancer did film a number, though, that got edited into another film that starred the other dancer.

Name the two dancers and the film that they both ultimately appeared in, although not as co-stars.