Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Musicals on Tap

On 1/2/2020 at 2:01 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

This dancer mixed many dance genres to come up with a modern dance style that typified ballet, jazz and Caribbean dance.

An academic, dancer and choreographer, this artist primarily appeared on Broadway but also appeared in a few films.

One film was an iconic groundbreaking musical, in which the dancer performed their own choreographed material.

When you identify this artist, also identify the iconic film.

Not sure but I'm thinking about Katharine Dunham and the film is Stormy Weather ?? she combined ballet, jazz and Caribbean dance and  received the Kennedy Honors

3 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Not sure but I'm thinking about Katharine Dunham and the film is Stormy Weather ?? she combined ballet, jazz and Caribbean dance and  received the Kennedy Honors

Lav, that's an excellent answer. She's not very well known outside of the dance world but her work was beautiful.

Your turn--

17 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Lav, that's an excellent answer. She's not very well known outside of the dance world but her work was beautiful.

Your turn--

So my answer was wrong?

20 hours ago, Arturo said:

Gene Kelly, and the iconic musical I believe is ANCHORS AWAY (although COVER GIRL or ON THE TOWN could fit the bill as well).

I'm sorry Arturo, I didn't see your answer at the end of the last page.

Yes, your answer is wrong; it does not fit all the criteria.

• 2 weeks later...

This song was introduced in a big musical that came out at the beginning of the year.  By the end of the year, it was heard again in another film as background music in a party scene.  A few months later into the next year, it was sung by an actress/singer making her film debut.

Name the song, the 3 movies in which it was heard, who originally performed it and the the actress who sang it in her film debut.

I believe it is a Cole Porter song called  "I've Got My Eyes On You".  It was sung and danced to by Fred Astaire in "Broadway Melody Of 1940".  Later in the year It was heard as background music in "The Philadelphia Story".  Early the next year it was sung by Kathryn Grayson in her film debut in "Andy Hardy's Private Secretary".   Some of the Hardy family movies were just shown on TCM this week. 

12 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Excellent, Miles!  Correct on all counts.

It is now your thread.

Miles, Allaboutlana pm'd me and sent you and Princess her regards, I promised Lana I would let you and Princess know :)

Star wrote it's your thread

Thanks.  Now, the classic song "I'm In The Mood For Love" was introduced in a musical by a young woman who would go on to be a top singing star.  A little later, it was sung in an Our Gang comedy short by two youngsters.  Can you name the movie where the song was introduced and the woman who sang it?  Can you also name the comedy short it was featured in and the two young people who sang it then? 

I'm in the Mood for Love was sung by Frances Langford in the  1935 film Every Night at Eight.  The following year it was sung twice in the Our Gang short The Pinch Singer, first by Darla Hood and later by Carl 'Alfalfa' Switzer.  

You are correct, Starlit.  The song became one of Frances Langford's signature songs, along with "Embraceable You".  She would usually sing them on her military tours with Bob Hope.  Here are clips:

Nice work, Starlit.  You're up next. 

• Like 1

These two dancers were teamed together very successfully in a film and plans were made to team them again.  Unfortunately one of the dancers became seriously ill and had to be replaced.

Name the two dancers, the replacement, the film they did together and the second film with the replacement.

In the musical "White Christmas", Danny Kaye was a replacement for Donald O'Connor.  Originally it was planned to have Fred Astaire play opposite Bing Crosby, as he had done in "Holiday Inn", but Fred was contemplating retirement and turned down the role.  Donald O'Connor was then to be cast.  He had played Bing's much younger brother in "Sing You Sinners" back in 1938, although this part called  for the character to be Bing's old army buddy.  Donald came down with an infection called Q-Fever, which is a disease that affects livestock.  Humans can get it from being around infected animals.  Donald caught it from working with Francis the talking mule.  Danny Kaye and Vera=Ellen had appeared in two films together while they were under contract to Samuel Goldwyn in the forties.  In fact, they played brother and sister in one film.   

• Like 1

That was a very thorough and correct answer, Miles!

Let me just add that Donald O'Connor and Vera-Ellen played opposite each other in Call Me Madam and that pairing had proved to very successful.  In fact, Donald O'Connor said that his favorite number that he did in a film was the dance that he did with Vera-Ellen to It's a Lovely Day Today.

Your thread, Miles. 

36 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.

Here is one that should be fairly easy.  What musical film featured an actress named Queenie and a character named Queenie? 

You're Welcome, but it was Star who gave you the thread  :)

Showboat, the 1936 version.  Hattie McDaniel played Queenie and Queenie Smith was played by Elly Mae Chipley in this version

My apologies to Starliteyes.  I was looking at several threads and apparently got them mixed up. 

Lavender got the correct film,but it was Queenie Smith who played Ellie Mae Chipley, not the other way around.

By the way, Sammy White, who played Ellie Mae's dancing partner, Frank Schultz, had played the role in the original Broadway show, with his then wife, Eva Puck, playing Ellie Mae.  By the time the 1936 movie was made, they had divorced.   Charles Winninger and Helen Morgan also reprised their Broadway roles.

Nice work, Lavender.  You're up next.