Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
aged-in-wood

What was turner classic movies like back in the day

With regards to this whole obesity thing: do you mean all the talk about obesity or the fact that a majority of people are obese?

Funny how you mention spinning the dial. My dad would yell at me for the same thing. Now my wife gets on my case for 'spinning' the remote! Of course it isn't because I can break it but because I don't stay on one station very long. To keep things peaceful I just go to TCM!

Well first, to answer your question...the latter, of course! I would say there's "talk" about it 'cause there's no denyin' there's a certain "trend" goin' on nowadays. ;)

And secondly, yep, I get the same thing from my wife too.

I think the whole channel surfin' thing mostly tends to be a "guy thing".

(...well THAT, and the idea that when ya land on the History Channel, I hear most wives will say, like mine does, "Why are we watchin' the 'Hitler Channel' again? Don't you already know everything about WWII ALREADY???") :^0

>Dargo wrote: LOL!!!

>

>Yeah Charlotte, when ya THINK about it, this thread IS just another way of sayin'...

>

>"Okay all you 'Old Timers'! What was it like around here in those 'Olden Days', huh?!"

Hey, I worry enough about some guy I'm dating being able to drive at night.. LOL... You know you're mature enough for TCM, because:

Je reviens plus ****..

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}...and back then, we actually had to STAND UP AND WALK TO THE TV to change the channel! Imagine!!

I installed a remote OFF switch for the speaker, placed by where I sat watching. That way, I could mute the commercials, before remote controls.

Another trick I did was to tune the audio for VHF channel 6 on the FM of my audio receiver (extreme left of dial.) Channel 6 was CBS, so I could listen to the audio from their movies on my stereo system, while watching the TV. This was before VCRs and AV systems.

*( . . . Yeah, I was my Dad's "remote control", alright! . . . )*

Dargo, it could've been worse ! You might have been the 'antenna adjuster' as well. When the right picture was finally attained . . . 'HOLD IT' ! . . . you would have had to hold that antenna whatever position you were in ! :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNSVLZlwOJeuQCP2sWEnv

*When I was a kid we spent half the time adjusting the antenna (sp?) to get a good picture, and then when that didn't work we had to adjust the horizontal and vertical buttons... All that, with only 7 channels to choose from (in New York).*

*...and back then, we actually had to STAND UP AND WALK TO THE TV to change the channel! Imagine!!*

Eugenia ... I so Remember those *'Verticle'* line adjustment button and trying to 'Balance' the picture just right ... and feeling 'victorious' when I did. And also having to Walk to the television for just about anything ... Whoa ! .... we've really come a long way . . . and got 'spoiled' (?) :)

And do you also remember the *'National Anthem'* being played, before all telecasting ended for the night and the *'Test Patterns',* too ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYdcZ9U0BJ2yd_n60oWYV

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}I can live with the pop-up book morning intro considering what it replaced, which was that awful promo showing people getting ready for work and sounded more like an intro to an episode of Roseanne than an intro for a classic film.

Someone's mentioned that "getting ready for work" promo before, also in a negative spin. I'm not sure what promo they're talking about, but if it's the one I think they mean, I couldn't disagree more. In fact, I really miss that promo and wish they would bring it back.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it wasn't about "getting ready for work" per sec, although it was morning time, specifically dawn, a new day breaking. It showed the early morning sun, and then it showed all kinds of little scenes, someone running up the steps of a huge old building, someone on a ( subway?) train, etc. What the poster who complained about this short may have missed is this: it's all about film ! Literally.

If you look at these little clips carefully, you'll see that they all resemble celluloid film. The windows of the train in the sun and shadows, flicking quickly past, look like strips of celluloid. Ditto the long broad steps of the courthouse or whatever the man's running up - light and shadow, reminiscent of film - physical film stock. Little squares of light and shadow. I wish I could remember the other bits in the promo, but they're all like that - they're supposed to put you in mind of celluloid film, and they do. If you ever see it again,watch it carefully and you'll see what I mean.

Think about it - why else would they show all those disparate scenes?

Whoever came up with this promo was incredibly clever and imaginative.

I am loving this thread.

It is interesting seeing what was on TCM's schedule 10+ years ago as well as the link to AMC's old schedule. WOW WOW WOW @ what AMC used to be! They regularly showed titles from every studio it seems.

Right. Obesity IS now the in thing, and the more obese you are, the more in you are. If Studio 54 were open today, a 500-pound guy would NEVER have to wait in line.

*If Studio 54 were open today, a 500-pound guy would NEVER have to wait in line.*

Yeah, but who'd want to dance with him? ;)

*And do you also remember the* *'National Anthem' being played, before all telecasting ended for the night and the* *'Test Patterns', too ?*

Wow, ugaarte, yes, I do, on both counts! Now instead of test patterns we get infomercials, which is even lower quality viewing than the test patterns.

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}*And do you also remember the* *'National Anthem' being played, before all telecasting ended for the night and the* *'Test Patterns', too ?*

>

> Wow, ugaarte, yes, I do, on both counts! Now instead of test patterns we get infomercials, which is even lower quality viewing than the test patterns.

AH! But Eugenia, can one cut open a can and STILL slice a tomato paper thin with a TEST PATTERN???

I think NOT, young lady!!!

(...nope...no test pattern will EVER replace my set of handy dandy Ginsu knives, ya know!) ;) :^0

My gosh, the memories this thread is bringing back to me! EugeniaH, I am a New Yorker too...do you remember The Million Dollar Movie? It aired on WOR channel 9 and opened with the theme song to Gone With The Wind. They aired Mighty Joe Young and King Kong all the time. This is when my appreciation for classic films began.

The Late Show (before David Letterman's version) aired every night at 11:30pm. I remember being allowed to stay up and watch the old films on the weekends. It's opening graphics showed an apartment house and one by one the lights would go on in the building. When the film ended...the lights would go off in each apartment.

My brother was the offical channel changer in our house or who ever got up during commercials. Ahhh, the good old days! lol

Absolutely, MovieGal! WOR 9 and Million Dollar Movie, the Abbott and Costello movies on WPIX 11... They showed a lot of old movies in NY back in the 70s. I have strong memories of The Best Years of Our Lives and being upset by the "hooks" of the returned soldier...

I also saw a lot of Ginsu commercials (responding to Dargo's post) ;) . Hey Dargo (another reference to "infomercials" of a sort), "can it core a apple?"

Edited by: EugeniaH on Oct 30, 2011 2:29 PM

How could I forget Abbott and Costello on WPIX! And the Three Stooges. 8^D

*(. . . If you look at these little clips carefully, you'll see that they all resemble celluloid film. The windows of the train in the sun and shadows, flicking quickly past, look like strips of celluloid. Ditto the long broad steps of the courthouse or whatever the man's running up - light and shadow, reminiscent of film - physical film stock. Little squares of light and shadow. I wish I could remember the other bits in the promo, but they're all like that - they're supposed to put you in mind of celluloid film, and they do. If you ever see it again,watch it carefully and you'll see what I mean . . . )*

That's very interesting, Misswonderly !. . . I never thought to look at it, like that ... But I think you're right ! ... That does take on the form of a 'Celluloid Film' . . . Especially the 'flickering' train windows 'flying' past !! . . . I'll have to check it out again and see if I notice any other resemblences . . . :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIYXU9TCk0wIHaN0JMAOPimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGBMR2nvNhxGf3pkBfdXU

Thanks, ugaarte, I'm glad somebody realized what I was talking about. In fact, I'm surprised nobody else seems to have noticed that. I mean, there had to be something special, something film -related, about all those little scenes. I didn't get it right away, and kind of wondered what that promo was all about. Then one day, it clicked with me - of course ! Celluloid film stock ! The promo was genius !

misswonderly, I too miss that opening because it actually reminded me of my own morning getting up. I didn't make the connection to how it looks like film but with what ugaarte posted, I can see it.

I still can't believe what AMC's schedule used to look like when it was commercial free. Even though they repeated films in the same day and week (reminds me of how FMC does this) I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people who preferred AMC over TCM at that time. Now I picture TCM as that chubby geeky girl with the braces and terrible plastic framed glasses who wears the ill-fitting uniform, knows all the answers, and will help you with your homework if only you asked. Now it's 2011 and AMC is bald, overweight, divorced and underemployed and TCM no longer has the geeky frames and the braces, shed the baby fat and is a self-employed goddess. My oh my has TCM come a long way!

But in 1994, anyone who knew the business could see what was coming; the early years of TNT had served as sort of a dry run for TCM. Turner owned a substantial library, one that has grown, whereas AMC was essentially limited to leasing agreements. Once those dried up, it was very limited in what it could show, and thus decided to go in a different direction (even more or less dropping its "American Movie Classics" title to focus on the acronym).

TCM's clout has also enabled it to work lease agreements with Columbia and even Fox (for some Twentieth Century and/or Fox films), and Universal (as well as the currently unavailable batch of pre-1948 Paramount that Universal controls) may be on the horizon, too.

Who was it who was the inspiration for initiating 24 hours of commercail-free classic movies on a Turner network? Was it Ted Turner himself? Was Ted a classic movie fan?

Some heavy-set people are very light on their feet-----Jackie Gleason, for instsnce. I've never seen Gleason get down to "Disco Inferno", however, so I'm not sure he'd make a big hit at 54.

You're right - I saw Gleason dancing a number of times on The Honeymooners. He was great! ...But maybe not as good as Carney doing "The Hucklebuck". ;)

Louise Brooks stated Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle was wonderful to dance with because he was so light on his feet.

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}

>

> I also saw a lot of Ginsu commercials (responding to Dargo's post) ;) . Hey Dargo (another reference to "infomercials" of a sort), "can it core a apple?"

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Are you kidding, Eugenia?! ;) Just one of THE funniest skits ever on television! My wife and I LOVE that episode of "The Honeymooners".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5a6y3okeo

(...btw, coincidentally as I typed my little "Ginsu" joke down below there, I also thought of Jackie and Art doing this classic bit) B-)

I guess Ted was a classic movie fan. But he's also a savvy businessman; witness when he kept the film library MGM owned after deciding to sell off all its other assets. Using that library, which few at the time saw any worth in, to make it the nucleus of first TNT and then TCM, was marketing genius.

Here's an entry I wrote two months ago on Turner and his work on behalf of classic film: http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/438472.html