Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What was turner classic movies like back in the day

I broke into TV at WPIX in 1964 and had the pleasure of working camera on their kids shows. There was Officer Joe Bolton hosting the Three Stooges and Captain Jack McCarthy bringing you the "Popeye Show" and the great Chuck McCann doing his show and the Sunday comics with Chuck appearing as Dick Tracy, Smiling Jack and who can forget him as "Little Orphan Annie" Does anyone remember Carol Corbett with her lunchtime shows hosting"Hercules" cartoons with her peanut butter and jelly sandwiches . She was a sweetheart and we all loved her. We were almost as excited as she was when she got a role in the Steve McQueen film "The Thomas Crown Affair" as MIss Sullivan, his secretary. I was lucky to have been a part of those fun times and we did have some fun........

fredbaetz, I bet those were some fun times. I grew up watching locally produced kid shows, wish they would come back. I think it gave people a sense of community in addition to some good entertainment for children. Where I grew up we had them in the early morning before school and then just after school. There was another local channel that had The Big Show, an afternoon movie, usualy science fiction of the fifties or a good horror movie.

A role in The Thomas Crown affair is a big deal!!!!!!

Yeah Fred, like Rickey here said, I'll bet those WERE some fun times, alright.

And so, I gotta question for ya here...

While behind that camera, did ya ever witness any instances such as the now infamous "Cram it, Clown!" thing??? ;)

(...though as apocryphal as that one might be)

"Cram it' Clown" . Another urban legend. That story varies from Chi., to L.A. to San Diego, to Boston to N.Y...Fact or fiction, it's still a fun story.

As far as the kid shows on WPIX, we never had an audience. They were taped in advance, the only show to have an audience was the "Clay Cole Show" , early MTV {sort of}. Again the show was taped in advance, so if there had been an "Incident" it would never have made it to air. That's not to say nothing ever happened. I remember one night, we were airing the "David Susskind Show" , a live interview show and Malcolm X was the guest. Well, before the show the NYPD were all over the studio because of the death threats against Malcolm X. Well, the set was in front of a large blue curtain. We were about 30 minutes into the interview, when all of a sudden there is a shadow on the curtain and it looks like someone walking behind it holding a rifle. Well the cops charge and Susskind gets a cue to go to commercial and the cops drag the poor janitor out and the rifle shadow was a mop handle. You talk about a scared host, guest, cops and janitor plus the crew......The poor guy was lucky they didn't start shooting.....Another Susskind show had Salvador Dali as the guest. Dali walks into to the studio with his pet ocelot on a leash and proceeds to tie him to my camera. The cat pays no attention to me so I figure he's OK. A little time after the show goes live, the cat decides to have a bowel movement and I don't know what the hell Dali was feeding that cat, but all of a sudden I'm alone with the cat, everyone else had moved away. My camera was the cover camera so I couldn't move. Then, I guess the thing felt better after the movement and he decides that my leg looks like a toy or his new girl friend and we have no more breaks, so I'm there trying to shake the cat off and the director is yelling at me to quit moving the camera. I though the show would never end. Now during the interview I notice between shakes that Dali is doodling while he talks to Susskind, so I figure if I can get there as soon as the show end II can grab an original Dali. The show ends and they leave the set and I make a dash for the set, but the floor director had the same idea and he beats me to it. He grins at me and walks over to Dali and ask if he would autograph it and Dali just looks at him turns and walks out of the studio......Nothing like live TV..... ;)

Far as *how* movies are shown, it has never changed. If you want the condensed history of TCM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Classic_Movies

What has changed the most is the Feature Presentation i.e. the camera panning up a skyscraper with the Gangster Icon at the top along with the TCM logo. I missed the old icons, which include the head of an old fashion scuba diver and policeman.

A few years ago, a poster gave us a link to download the January 1995 program schedule and I saved the pages. Sorry I can't upload them because they are *huge* TIF picture files. I give anything I saved that link.

This is what the January 1995 state what TCM is, I'll type it exactly as stated.

*The Greatest Movies of All Time. All The Time.*

Turner Classic Movies is a commercial-free channel, featuring a line-up of legendary classic movies plus hard-to-find treasures from the 20's to the 80's.

More than just movies, TCM has an exclusive collection of shorts, trailors, out takes and screen tests.

Join the studio host and film authority Robert Osborne every night for fasinating stories on the movies and behind the scenes world of Hollywood.

With more movies every month than anyone else, Turner Classic Movies is the ultimate movie lovers channel.

-----

"The Magnificent Ambersons" (1942) and "The Fortune Cookie" (1966) were the first 2 listed in the schedule.

If *anyone* so happens to have that January 1995 link, please post it. It has a picture of Esther Williams along with "TCM Salutes Esther Williams" along with the scuba diver icon on the cover page.

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 31, 2011 11:17 PM Fixed typos (Ihope)

"Back in the day"...almost sounds like we had to trod a mile and a half in the snow home from school, made some hot chocolate and watched the latest offering from TCM ("Oh, wow, another Wheeler & Woolsey movie!").

*"Back in the day"...almost sounds like we had to trod a mile and a half in the snow home from school,*

I Remember those days of 'trodding a mile and a half, back & forth, to school, VP19 . . .

And It wasn't easy either . . . It was 'Uphill' both ways ! :^0

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa353kXtGYaj4BEhykL7Z

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather went to school with MC Escher.... For him, the walk really was uphill both ways.

Regarding the January 1995 schedule, I see 1981's *Pennies From Heaven* is on the schedule. (Unless it was actually the 1936 Bing Crosby movie. I presume the L is for Letterbox, but the 1981 movie is a 108-minute film in a 105-minute time slot.)

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}What TCM was like back in the day...

>

> They have always played films made within the last ten years - since month #1.

>

> They've always scheduled things from 1970 on.

>

> The amount of films post-60s hasn't changed in the last five, ten + years - proven countless times on this forum.

>

> They've always aired world cinema - more daring and challenging choices showing up lately.

>

> They've always aired silent films - they've actually seemed to increase in number over the last couple of years.

>

> They've always aired rare, hard to find, or otherwise never to be seen films on TV.

I've been a subsriber since the 90's & I too would say it hasn't changed much. Some of the intros, lead-ins, & teasers have changed over the years. Anybody remember . ..

Come one come all; we're gonna have a ball

Or . . .

the old Robert Osborne intro with the gangster chiseled on the side of the building

Or . . .

Lone Star Cinema with the funny looking animated horse & cowboy (racking my brain trying to remember the words to the intro song for this but for the life of me I can't--anybody remember?)

Or . . .

The intro before movies they'd show only on weekends with the big band playing & the ROLL FILM sign that would come on

There's probably more . . .

Geez, I've been enjoying *Carole & Co. *for a long time now, and I never made the connection to VP19. That's one terrific site you've got there, and it makes me wonder if the *Self-Styled Siren *and the *Noir of the Week *guy are also lurking in these parts somewhere.

Thank you; it's been a labor of love now for nearly 4 1/2 years, as I try to blend a historian's perspective with a fan's enthusiasm regarding Lombard, her life and times, and people she knew and worked with.