• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Estelle Mayce for Star of the Month

Whatever happened to Estelle Mayce?

2796487985_a7e6e30015.jpg

How come her films don't air on TCM? Is it because her films were made at MahatmaKaneJeeves Pictures, Inc.? Why doesn't TCM show films from this studio?

We really should see her most important film, PROHIBITED LOVE, with Gable Clarkson.

preslefeliciejourdanpetite.jpg

She had some more great precodes, like VOLUPTUOUS and DANCE PARTNERS.

I particularly want to see the film noir she made in the 40s called THE NIGHT THE SUN WENT AWAY. I think she costarred with Mitchum Roberts and Eliza Scott in that one.

Don't forget her memorable 50s sci-fi flicks THE BIG GALAXY and LASER PATROL FROM OUTER SPACE. Of course, she had quite a bit of plastic surgery by then, but her campy performances make those pictures pure classics!

And who could ever forget her last two films, made at First Acme...those shlocky horror films directed by Corman Rogers, called BLOODY AXE and VICIOUS GRANDMA.

Please, TCM, give us a month devoted to Estelle Mayce...!

>The rights to her films are now owned by Macy's, and Donald Trump,who is a Macy's spokesperson at the moment, won't allow them to be shown

That figures! I wonder if he knows anything about the murder that happened the night Estelle was working at the canteen.

I googoled Mahatma Kane Jeeves. I got an article on a WC Fields Pseudonym. Why do I think somebody's pulling my leg.

There's been such a proliferation of So-and-so for SOTM threads, that I think we need a separate forum for 'em. And, I'm *NOT* trying to pull anyone's leg!

I think most people have figured out this thread is a spoof. Estelle is a version of Stella, which means Star, and Mayce comes from the Spanish word 'mes' which means month. I have anglo-cized the spelling, obviously.

The fictitious history I created for Estelle Mayce is loosely based on Joan Crawford, and the photos are actually of French actress Micheline Presle.

I am all for threads that seek to promote a deserving performer for a month-long tribute. I do think that TCM's programmers have made some excellent choices in the past few months.

> I am all for threads that seek to promote a deserving performer for a month-long tribute.

One thing to keep in mind when starting a campaign for a particular star of the month (seriously or even tongue in cheek), the campaign can take a long time. When the campaign began for Joel McCrea, it was a little less than 26 months from the day the thread first posted to the first day of the McCrea festival.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just wanted to let you (the universal you) know that it can take longer than we might think.

How do you know if a thread started on Joel McCrea even had any impact on TCM's decision to have a SOTM for him? Was there some official announcement citing a particular thread being the springboard for the decision to have a Joel McCrea SOTM?

> {quote:title=heuriger wrote:}{quote}How do you know if a thread started on Joel McCrea even had any impact on TCM's decision to have a SOTM for him? Was there some official announcement citing a particular thread being the springboard for the decision to have a Joel McCrea SOTM?

because lzcutter has been here a long, long time and has knowledge you

will never know...

B-)

Yes, I realize I can never achieve her measure of knowledge. Thanks for reminding me of that. I don't even merit a response. :)

> {quote:title=heuriger wrote:}{quote}That was so uncool to say. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Hmmm. I can't see it. He's been on "ignore" for years. I suggest you do the same.

I agree that these things take time. In the case of Joel McCrea, there was a rather large consensus about him. Some of these other instances, we get a few posters with a fervor for Performer X, someone else chimes in and says it's a good idea to feature X as Star of the Month, but then the excitement drops off and the thread dies a quick death. Again, with McCrea, that did not happen. A lot of people genuinely pushed for him to be honored by TCM and eventually it did happen.

TopBilled, that was clever. I clicked in to find out WHO this person was because I've never heard of her.

And NO WONDER!

It could only have been better if some member chirped in with, "I'm with YOU, TopBilled. I've ALWAYS been a big fan of Ms. Mayce, and also wondered why TCM doesn't show more of her movies!"

Talk about being BUSTED!

Sepiatone

Thanks. I was trying to poke fun at these Hollywood legends. I was creating a character that probably would have fit in quite well on The Larry Sanders Show!

Maybe we could start a thread called, "In Search of PADORA SPOCKS", The psuedonym used by Elizabeth Montgomery in the credits of any episode of "Bewitched" that featured her dual-role character of cousin Sabrina.

Sepiatone

I'm going to abandon all attempts at modesty here and say right out that I believe my JOEL McCREA ! poems helped push the campaign along to its successful fruition.

Anyone who wants a signed copy of the JOEL McCREA: a plea for Star of the Month poetry collection can pm me and we can discuss a cut-rate price, offered only to TCM message board posters.

Well I'm laughing. I thought "What a delightful thread, about an actress who'd never registered with me before." I also thought with a name like Estelle Mayce, it's little wonder she wasn't a bigger star. And I really wanted to see VICIOUS GRANDMA.

Good one!

missw,

If I am not mistaken, that's the second printing of your classic poetry collection. :)

I think those pictures of Micheline Presle did the trick. I had to choose someone who really was a major motion picture star, but who would not look too familiar.

Better yet, why don't we turn some poerty into MOVIES?

Who WOULDN'T be interested in a movie called; *The Man From Nantucket* ? ;)

Sepiatone

Since there is no real Star of the Month on TCM in November-- I thought it appropriate to remember Estelle Mayce.