Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieGal53

Which Holiday Film Would You Choose?

If you were only able to watch one for the entire season.

1. It's A Wonderful Life

2. Miracle On 34th Street

3. Holiday Inn

I never miss *Tenth Avenue Angel* . And I'm hoping TCM will make *The Great Rupert* a yearly tradition too. Both are on twice in December! Thanks, TCM.

Thanks for the responses so far! I'm ashamed to say that I have never seen TENTH AVENUE ANGEL. It's airing in December so I will set my DVR.

BACHELOR MOTHER is another sweet holiday film along with HOLIDAY AFFAIR and REMEMBER THE NIGHT.

I'm trying to figure out which one of these films would make a good Secret Santa gift.

Any suggestions?

My all-time favorite for the holidays is "Remember the Night" with the extraordinary Stanwyck. This is the ultimate in movies about going home for the holidays.

Terrence.

Yes, I DO love "It's A Wonderful Life". The ending when "Auld Lang Syne" is being sung by George Bailey's loved ones and friends is too sentimental for me! When the song is featured during "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", I get weepy too. I love when he runs through the snow in "Wonderful Life" - happy to be alive. Good stuff!:D

For most holidays:

1. Halloween - The Invisible Man

2. Thanksgiving - The Wizard of Oz

3. Hannukkah - Fiddler on the Roof

4. Christmas - It's a Wonderful Life

:)

I think one of the funniest Christmas theme tv shows I ever saw was on the Ted Danson show "Becker". Several stories going on at once; the girl Linda trying to sing Christmas carols (she was unbelievably horrible), little guy Bob running around dressed as a "Santa" so he could hide from another "Santa" that wanted to beat him up. It was incredibly funny.

<<My all-time favorite for the holidays is "Remember the Night" with the extraordinary Stanwyck. This is the ultimate in movies about going home for the holidays.

Terrence.>>

I agree with you 100%. REMEMBER THE NIGHT is my favorite holiday film as well. It always seemed a shame to me that this gem never got the recognition it deserved. When TCM started airing it a couple of years ago I was delighted. Sadly, it's not on the schedule this holiday season but that's why we have DVD's! 8^D

I'd like to see the 1955 Michael Curtiz film *We're No Angels*, with this cast:

Humphrey Bogart ... Joseph

Aldo Ray ... Albert

Peter Ustinov ... Jules

Joan Bennett ... Amelie Ducotel

Basil Rathbone ... Andre Trochard

Leo G. Carroll ... Felix Ducotel

John Baer ... Paul Trochard

Gloria Talbott ... Isabelle Ducotel

Lea Penman ... Mme. Parole

John Smith ... Medical Officer Arnaud

And, I'd like to see the 1948 Max Fleischer cartoon *Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer*.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Oct 31, 2011 9:17 PM

If you mean "Which Christmas film " would I choose, the answer would be *A Christmas Carol,* also known as *Scrooge*, the 1951 version with Alistair Sim. Others have mentioned it on this thread, probably because it is arguably the best Christmas movie ever made.

Honourable mention: *The Holly and the Ivy,* 1952, with a stellar British cast including Ralph Richardson, Denholm Elliot, Margaret Leighton, and Celia Johnston.

Also - *One Magic Christmas,* with Mary Steenbergen and Harry Dean Staunton. A really sweet and unusual little movie. Here's a link about it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089731/

I think I saw this film on the TCM December listing; *All Mine To Give* . One of the all time tear jerkers.

MovieGal, I'm glad to know we share the same opinion about "Remember the Night."

As many times as I've seen it, I never tire of it. It's incredible that this movie is not well known. Thank Heavens for TCM!

Terrence.

Oh gosh. All Mine to Give is probably the saddest movie I have ever seen. Ever. Even worse because it is a true story. :(

My favorite above all is *A Christmas Carol* with Alistair Sim. Then, in no order: *A Charlie Brown Christmas* (yes, it's true I'm 43. However!), *Remember the Night* and *Xmas in CT*.

*The Bishop's Wife* - that's another one.

Edited by: EugeniaH on Nov 2, 2011 5:07 PM

MISSWONDERLY- I have never seen The Holly & The Ivy. Has it ever been shown on TCM?

One Magic Christmas IS an unusual film but sweet nonetheless. Given the plot it easily resonates today.

MRROBERTS - When I was a child (early 60's) All Mine To Give was broadcast every Christmas Day. Tear jerker sums it up best. I echo Amber's sentiments...it is one of the saddest films I have ever seen.

TERRENCE1 - Remember The Night along with The Bishops Wife are the two holiday films I cannot do without.

A note to anyone who is thinking of purchasing Remember The Night from Amazon. Don't. They manufacture the order On Demand meaning it's a copy. You will not get any of the features that go along with TCM's version or Robert Osborne's intro to the film.

Eugenia,

I'm 50 something and still look forward to It's A Charlie Brown Christmas! lol

*There are two that I think I would choose.I have always loved the 1951 version of "The Christmas Carol" with Alastir Sim,and "Christmas In Connecticut" with the terrific Barbara Stanwyck.*

movie gallery share your love for all the films on your list and for many others have suggested, but I just discovered my NEW favorite Xmas movie last Xmas, when TCM played a film I had never heard of and i immediately fell in love with it

the film was "IT HAPPENED ON 5TH AVENUE" with just the most marvellous cast of characters ever chosen to make a seasonal feel good movie. The movie reminded me of how much I had loved Gale storms music back in the 50's when i was just a lad, after seeing the movie I went on line and found several sites with gales songs, ones like "dark Moon``.

The movie also has the great Charlie Ruggles who could steal a scene with the best of them, but not in this film when opposite Aloysius T. McKeever played by the wonderful warm and touching Victor Moore. This film succeeds on every level the writing, the performances and the just wonderfully emotionally charged story. I have seldom experienced a movie that had such a healing effect on whom ever watched it

To paraphrase `Mac`` having no friends is a serious form of poverty well watch this film and i guarantee you will feel you have made a whole host of new friends. To paraphrase Charlie ruggles` this year hes coming through the front door`.