Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some people might lose Fox Movie, FX and NatGeo channels.

I've been seeing these Info channels on Directv 248-1, 258-1 and 276-01. Directv's CEO Mike White says News Corp/FOX want 40% more for the same channels i.e. FX, Fox Movie Channel and NatGeo. He claims Directv aready pays approx $1 billion dollars a year to New Corp *(OUCH!!)*

If an agreement is not reached by November 1st, those channels may be dropped. I have not got Fox Movie Channel (FMC) for several years but I've seen here that some members still gets it. If you don't see FX, FMC or National Geographic, then you know what happened.

This is nothing but pure GREED that News Corp has. :(

I beleive this is why I lost FMC as part of my programming a while back. I can live without National Geographic but would hate to see it gone.

Mike White says we won't lose Fox News Channel (whoopi-do) and to visit the website OurPromiseToYou.com for updates.

Edited by: hamradio on Oct 30, 2011 6:38 PM

Since I just signed up for DirecTV a few weeks ago, you'd better believe I'll be all over them for breaking their contract with me. Since I can be charged $480 if I cancel service before my first two years is up, maybe I can get the same from them? :-(

>visit the website OurPromiseToYou.com for updates.

Their promise to me is to raise my satellite rates every two years.

They could afford National Geo, Fox, and FX if they junked a lot of the trash channels like Oxygen, LMN, MSNBC, Hall, IFC, LIFE, etc., channels I have but that I never watch because they show junk most of the time. Their movies are mostly old made-for-TV movies from the '80s and '90s. And they show them over and over again.

Most likely they'll come to an agreement. It use to be that companies would meet behind closed doors and hammer these things out. It was Rupert Murdock who started all this public garbage where each side tries to use the subscribers to pressure the other side to give in. All it does is get them worked up and worried. Both sides have too much to lose to let negotiations fail.

Fox has been down this road before with other satellite and cable companies. About the 11th hour, things tend to get worked out and the shows go on without disruption.

This time it's just ironic because Fox used to own DirecTV.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > visit the website OurPromiseToYou.com for updates.

> Their promise to me is to raise my satellite rates every two years.

>

> They could afford National Geo, Fox, and FX if they junked a lot of the trash channels like Oxygen, LMN, MSNBC, Hall, IFC, LIFE, etc., channels I have but that I never watch because they show junk most of the time. Their movies are mostly old made-for-TV movies from the '80s and '90s. And they show them over and over again.

I'm sure one of your "etc." trash channels would be Fox News. Most certainly an oversight.

For me that's OK. Especially, the Fox Movie Channel. Repeat, repeat, repeat. You get more interesting stuff from 20CF at TCM than the Fox Movie Channel. Case in point, THE VALIANT with Paul Muni from 1929 coming in December on TCM.

I WISH they would take Fox News away from me!!!

But to echo others sentiments, I don't want to lose FMC. It is the one place I can get my Ty Power, Alice Faye, Gene Tierney, Betty Grable etc fix without breaking out the DVDs or waiting for TCM to rent a few titles.

Don't forget FMC's Dr. Zhivago: I Wake Up Screaming or Kiss Of Death.

While it would be nice for FX and FNC and NatGeo (poor yuppies couldn't remember the entire name, like the equally onerous and mentally taxing SciFi) to disappear (nice thing about being able to delete them, what a great invention), I would miss an alternative to the post 1960 garbage on TCM.

But they won't go, it's all about money and no one's more mercenary than Rupert Murdoch.

Fox Movie Channel is better than some people give it credit for. FX has some pretty good original programming and I like the NatGeo channel.

I think niche channels on cable made viewers more picky. I had cable for the longest time and I remember when sometimes you'd wake up to a blue screen, not even an infomercial - for a cable channel. They would just go off from 3-6am (some of them).

Now, if a channel doesn't play 24/7 of programming a person likes, the channel is terrible and highly criticized. I think these options have given some the attitude of wanting what they want when they want it. I look at it from the stand point of "there's always something on" (even when I browse millions of channels and still don't find anything).

*DirecTV and News Corp. reach new deal*

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/10/directv-and-news-corp-reach-new-deal.html

News Corp. has struck a new deal that will keep its powerful cable and broadcast channels on satellite broadcaster DirecTV.

The two sides had been bickering over a new contract and DirecTV was set to drop more than two dozen News Corp.-owned Fox cable networks, including the popular FX entertainment channel and Los Angeles regional sports outlets Prime Ticket and Fox Sports West, on Tuesday. DirecTV has over 19 million subscribers.

The new accord not only includes Fox's cable channels, but also the local television stations that carry the programming of the Fox Broadcasting Co. including National Football League games and popular comedies "Glee" and "New Girl."

Though the contracts for Fox's local TV stations were not up until the end of the year, DirecTV did not want to have to keep negotiating new accords with News Corp. and was pushing for an all-encompassing deal, people close to the talks said. Also part of the agreement is the Fox News channel even though that contract was not due to expire until early 2012.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. DirecTV had complained that Fox was seeking an increase of 40%. Fox called that figure ridiculous. Cable networks and broadcast channels are typically sold on a per-subscriber basis. According to SNL Kagan, FX currently gets about 40 cents per subscriber, per month. Fox Sports West gets almost $2.70 per subscriber, per month. Sports channels are usually more expensive because of their rights fee expenses.

The agreement, announced late Monday afternoon, ends several weeks of acrimony between the two companies. Fox took out advertisements suggesting consumers drop DirecTV for other distributors and Kurt Sutter, the brash executive producer of FX's motorcycle gang drama "Sons of Anarchy," took to Twitter to blast DirecTV executives.