Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone else noticed morals slipping on TCM ?

Didn't there used to be a website or blog that gave detailed info on when

nude scenes in movies were going to pop up and a brief description of what

was on display? Maybe it's still around. My interest is, of course, purely

academic.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:

> }{quote}

>

> As I watch movies only for entertainment and as escapism....

>

SansFin i'm like you,i watch movies for the same reasons,no more. I don't try to analyze them,cuz i'm afraid it will kill the magic for me,it has happened before. If i understand toooo much about the movie,then the it's no fun to watch anymore. Sort of like the diff.between old monster movies and new ones. In the old monster flicks,the monster was not usually explainable,they came from who knows where,to wreak havoc on whatever,or whomever they felt like wreaking havoc on.And the monsters were usually scary to one degree or another. Not today. It seems that most new monster flicks have a monster that is totally explainable by science.Everybody knows where they came from,why they're here,what makes them tick.They are simply another species trying to survive. And these movies are no fun to watch.If the monster is explainable,then it ceases to be a monster,and becomes just another curiosity to be studied.Big deal. Analyzing these great old movies simply kills the magic,much in the same way monster movies have lost their magic. IMO pschycoanalyizing the characters in movies,attempting to give them personalities that project beyond the celluloid is pointless,and helps kill the magic.And that's why i won't analyze a movie or its characters,or write any long dissertations about any movie in any forum. And i don't much care if people think me STUPID!! JR.

I have not commented on the nudity/morals aspect of this thread because I do not understand it.

The vast majority of artists throughout history have been men. Men often find the nude female form pleasant to view. Some men have claimed that nude females inspire them. The nude female form is symbolic of grace and beauty. It is so much a classic that it is a standard subject for painters and sculptors. Even the fig-leaf-mad Victorians only sought to conceal a woman's nether regions.

Movies are an art form and as such they are apt to often include nude female forms. The greatest developments in camera and projector technologies made in England during the Victorian and Edwardian eras were created by filmmakers whose primary subject matter was young women frolicking in the nude.

To shield a child from seeing a nude female form would require depriving them of art history books, art movies, visits to museums and even money printed in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries.

One of my teachers in school one year was a new mother. She would breastfeed the baby several times a day during class. I can not imagine the original poster's reaction if that occurred in their son's school.

I was thinking more along the lines of academic as in theoretical as opposed

to practical. Just for the heck of it, I would go with a less exoteric title, some-

thing along the lines of The "Gaze" of Otherness: An Exploration of Masculine

Constructs and Female Naughty Bits in the Context of 20th Century Cinema.

The "Gaze" of Otherness: An Exploration of Masculine

Constructs and Female Naughty Bits in the Context of 20th Century Cinema.

Is that Monty Python's latest movie? If only.

I hope there is much pulling of legs on this thread, otherwise I fear for the intelligence of the posters. If they are in earnest, they may soon be watching the Kardashians if they aren't careful.

I love that line: they may soon be watching the Kardashians

There is only so much time in a day therefore one has to make choices in how they use available time (i.e. time not working, sleeping etc...), to view movies, listen to music, view art, etc...

Thus we are all making choices even if one doesn't think much about the choices they make.

I just believe one gets more out of an art form the more 'effort' one puts into it. One doesn't need to treat this effort like a scholar but if one doesn't understand what motivates their choices they indeed may end up watching the Kardashians.

We've got a few graduate students working on an Andromeda currency

conversion chart right now.

I don't take it too seriously. Like so many things, it's a matter of individual

taste. Some people are more comfortable with nudity and sex in movies than

other people. I don't think we have to worry very much about TCM turning into

the **** channel.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> they may soon be watching the Kardashians if they aren't careful.

I was intrigued by that comment. I believed there was a popular alien race in a science fiction series of which I had not heard. I can not say how disappointed I was when I Googled it. ;(

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Even in a favorite type of ranking if one's experience is limited, what they list as their favorite is somewhat compromised.

If one were to extrapolate and analogize then it seems as if you believe that a woman who was a virgin when she married and has been monogamous should have her views on positions, locations and associated clothing and toys dismissed without serious consideration.

At the other extreme it seems as if you believe that a prostitute who has had an average of nine customers a day for thirty years would have excellent opinions concerning what arouses her and what is the best method for her to achieve climax.

I truly believe that anyone who believes that analyzing things increases the pleasure is not doing it right. ;)

Well I'm a teenager and I only watch TCM because I like old movies that have class that are made for an adult without a lot of cussing, nudity and what have you's. But after the production code ended ( sixties and seventies onword) more of those things came more often in movies. Ususally I don't watch them unless a good actors in them but I wouldn't watch certain older movies unless you've seen them. For instance The Tarzan movies before the production code are good but I wouldn't watch them with the youngins.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

> Much more satisfying to read about the Cardassians

I thank you very much for saying that. It has been troubling me that I thought I had heard something very like that name but I could not put it into a place. I hope it is excusable as they are present in only one episode of ST:TNG and I have not watched DS9

The Cardassians are a very interesting species in the Star Trek universe. If you have time you should check out Deep Space Nine. This series was pretty well done for seven years.

Oh dear merciful heavens NO!....your kids saw a woman's breasts?!

Keep them away from 1934's TARZAN AND HIS MATE or 1932's THE SIGN OF THE CROSS...let alone all the pre-code movies with women practically falling out of their lingerie. Come to think of it...lets just ban all those movies.

Myself, I like to run ahead of the children in museums and put painters tape across the chests of those buxom sluts in those old European paintings. One glimpse of a **** is all it takes...its a one way ticket to the stripper pole and a meth habit.

Well you should study something complex like playing jazz guitar and you might change your POV. Doing something that requires both mental and physical skill and training is a very spritual pursuit.

Increasing skill and knowledge of something complex does increase one's pleasure, but of course only to a certain degree. But there does need to be a balance. I just played with a friend of mine yesterday that has a lot more skill and knowledge of jazz guitar than I do. He taught me a lot (my head is still spinning!). But the guy analyzing things way too much and this does impact his pleasure. i.e. he is unable to just 'jam' and let go. So while I learned a lot I have more 'fun' playing with other jazz guitar players that are around the same skill and knowledge level as me. Life is about balance.

Funny that people back then made no connection between Tarzan, almost nude women and his yell.

Someone brought up "Star Trek DS9". Due to the televison code, life on the Ferengi homeworld was never shown. (if you know that story) I'm yet to see her nude.

faq_female_ferengi_ishka.jpg

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Well you should study something complex like playing jazz guitar and you might change your POV.

My work requires rigorous analysis at every step of every involvement. There is great pressure because if I make a mistake and another person does not see it then a person's life may be in jeopardy.

I believe part of what I do is far more complex than playing a guitar. It may be necessary for me to step in for a doctor and keep the 16MeV beam from a linac on target of a small tumor while the patient's breathing and pulse alter its position during dynamic stereotactic radiotherapy.

I need to relax in the most non-analytic manner so that I may distance myself from work. I am a wood-carver. I watch many movies. They are the only way I can completely let myself go and immerse myself in another world.

It would violate the most basic reason for me to watch movies if I forced myself to learn the academic preconceptions of good or bad movies or to make myself think as a critic who must find something witty or pompous or self-promoting to say in order to usurp the spotlight from the truly creative people.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> Someone brought up "Star Trek DS9". Due to the televison code, life on the Ferengi homeworld was never shown. (if you know that story) I'm yet to see her nude.

Do you want to? Really?

I only know the Ferengi from ST:TNG as I have no access to the DS9 DVDs. I believe their view makes a certain sense as the air of mystery concerning what lies beneath taps into the imagination which in turn incites desire far greater than simple nudity could.

I'm sorry I wasn't talking about what one does for work but for pleasure i.e. a hobby. I'm a software engineer working with statistical algorithims and I while I enjoy my work, it isn't my hobby. I find it rewarding to have a life long hobby where one has to gain skill and knowledge endlessly. So much the better if the hobby combines both physical training as well as mental.

As for movies; there are thousand of movies and one has to make a choice of what to see and just as important what one will NOT see (i.e. what movies are not 'worth' putting aside time to enjoy or not).

Without anytype of what you are calling "analysis", how to do decide what movies you will watch not watch? I find it had to believe you just ramdomly pick movies, but hey, maybe you are different than most.