Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Couples or Teams

Guest Alix

I vote for MYRNA LOY and anyone she was in a movie with. She was a great match with all of her male co-stars and so believable as the "other half", i.e.;

CLIFTON WEBB in Cheaper by the Dozen

WILLIAM POWELL in all the Thin Man series

SPENCER TRACY, CARY GRANT.... (forgot the movie titles)............

You get the "picture" (sorry for the pun)! She alone complimented her partner which is not taking anything away from the males she starred with but she made you believe "he" was her sole mate.

I just love Myrna Loy!!!!!! I think she is best with William Powell in Double Wedding!!!!! I love any movie that she did with William Powell but I also love Mr.Blandings Builds His Dream House (Myrna Loy and Cary Grant) and The Bachelor and The Bobby-Soxer (Myrna Loy and Cary Grant again!) I also love Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. They did lots together... Holiday, Bringing Up Baby and The Philidelphia Story. Cary Grant and Irene Dunne are good together too...My Favorite Wife and Penny Serenade. I love Jimmy Stewart and Paulette Goddard too in Pot 'O Gold which happens to be my favorite movie of all time. Check it out. The music is sooo good! I just wish I could find a soundtrack for it!!!

I always thought there was a great rapport between Betty Grable and Vic Mature, Betty always seemed to 'Gel' with her leading men, also what about Ginger Rogers and Cary Grant in 'Once upon a Honeymoon' I detected a definate 'Click' between the two of them in that movie.

• 4 weeks later...

There are so many great couples or teams in films. They all had that elusive quality called 'chemistry'. Some examples, favorites of mine: Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau, Myrna Loy and William Powell, Bud Abbott and Lou Costello (who were great friends off screen, by the way), the Marx Brothers, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn and even

Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.

Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis

William Powell and Myrna Loy

Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn

Cary Grant and Irene Dunn

Cary Grant and Leslie Caron

Peter O'Toole and Mark Linn-Baker

Laurel and Hardy

My all time favorite on-screen couple is Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell. I could watch any of their movies over and over again...I've probably seen "Seventh Heaven" a dozen times! Norma Shearer and Robert Montgomery come in a close second--"Private Lives" is my favorite of all their movies.

I also like that in most of the musicals Busby Berkeley choreographed, most of the same actors are in all of them, from the stars (Dick Powell, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler...) to the supporting actors (Guy Kibbee, Frank McHugh, etc.). It's like a big family.

Ms. Harlow said "I also like that in most of the musicals Busby Berkeley choreographed, most of the same actors are in all of them, from the stars (Dick Powell, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler...) to the supporting actors (Guy Kibbee, Frank McHugh, etc.). It's like a big family."

There certainly was a period where Mr. Berkeley worked with the ensembles of Dick Powell, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler, Frank McHugh, etc. But these were relegated to a seven-year period at Warner Bros. in the 1930's. Keep in mind that he moved on to direct many different talented people at different studios up until Jumbo (released in 1962). Carmen Miranda, Judy & Mickey, Betty Hutton, Doris Day, and many more were directed by this difficult genius.

I'd like to see a month devoted to him. Since I'm fairly new here, can anyone tell me if TCM has done a tribute to Busby Berkeley?

Aw shucks, that's before my time (I've only had TCM for the past month). Thanks for your reply, romantic. It's nice to know they gave tribute to Berkeley's work, but I'm sorry to hear it was so recent as I imagine it will be some time before they would show those movies again.

• 2 months later...

Fred & Ginger of course, but Fred and Rita Hayworth were also wonderful together.

Clark Gable & Jean Harlow -- sizzling onscreen chemistry personified

Alan Ladd & Veronica Lake -- perfectly paired physically, both small and blond, and their laconic non-acting styles communcated a sexy insouciance

Cary Grant and just about anybody, but Irene Dunne stands out as a great onscreen partner in both frothy (The Awful Truth) and serious roles (Penny Serenade).

Jeanette MacDonald & ... no, not Nelson Eddy. For me, she's at her flrtatious best with Maurice Chevalier in The Love Parade, Love Me Tonight, One Hour with You, and The Merry Widow.

Bette Davis and Claude Rains or Leslie Howard. To me, Claude and Leslie were the only leading men that Bette really seemed to send off sparks with -- see It's Love I'm After with Leslie and Deception with Claude. To me, Bette has better chemistry with Miriam Hopkins than with such pale lovers as George Brent or Paul Henreid.

Barbara Stanwyck & Henry Fonda or Gary Cooper. Her energy and verve played off particularly well with these 2 strong silent type actors, making for great sexy onscreen tension in The Lady Eve and Ball of Fire.

There were several staple couples I liked such as

Bogart and Bacall

Powell and Loy

Flynn and DeHavilland

Ladd and Lake

MacDonald and Eddy

Astaire and Rogers

But, many of my favorites only did one or maybe two movies together.

Lamarr and Boyer

Power and Shearer

Garbo and Barrymore

Davis and Cagney

Hepburn and Stewart

Dietrich and Donat

Harlow and Grant

It is a shame Hollywood didn't team more great stars together. But, it was all politics, money and competition!

Errol Flynn and Olivia De havilland...... The best! I feel they have been so underrated as a screen team. Their Chemistry is magical and heart felt. the stuff movie dreams are made of

John Wayne and Maureen Ohara, especially in the The Quiet Man

Gene Kelly and Judy Garland...Me and My Gal and especially the Pirate in that dance dream sequence they do together.

Orson Wells and Joan Fontaine, in Jane Eyre

William Powel and Myrna Loy.... all of their films