Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allaboutlana

2000 TO PRESENT MOVIE TRIVIA

Thanks. Lucky you to get to see FHTE on the big screen. One of the few films I actually went to see in a theater in the last 10 years. I thought the film was so dark, although his life I guess was no ray of sunshine, but a very slow moving film. Thought the film could have been done better. I'd like to give the film another chance. Be back later with one, unless someone wants to jump in.

This one is among the films I can count on one hand that I've seen in a theater in the last ten years.

The story has been told lots of times, as a couple of prior films and as shows. Can you name some of those titles?

How about that smartie. *Roxie Hart* and *Chicago*. It was first staged as a non musical in 1926.Ginger Rogers portrayed Roxie Hart on the screen. I thought the recent film was was pretty good.Good work Miles. Your thread.

Thanks, it wasn't too difficult. If it had been an earlier era, there would have been more choices like "Pygmalion" and "My Fair Lady" or "The Matchmaker" and "Hello Dolly". Now, in an about face from his normal good guy role, Glenn Ford played a villain in a western that was remade within the last decade. What was the name of the movie and who starred in the villain's role in the remake? For extra credit, what two actors played the crazy, gun-happy henchman in each film?

How about "3:10 To Yuma", with Glenn Ford as Ben Wade in the original movie and Russell Crowe in the remake ?For the gun-happy henchman, perhaps you're referring to Charlie Prince, originally played by Richard Jaeckel and then by someone named Ben Foster ?

Yes, and two gold stars to mudskipper. I noticed that the original was shown on TV about the time that the remake was in the theaters. It was interesting to compare the two. Both were well done. Good job, skipper. The thread is yours.

Some of the earlier postings on this young thread seem to support a thought that has been nudging me recently. In two parts: 1. A good deal of what's been filmed in this Century (and has gotten attention) has been remakes of what was successful earlier. 2. A good portion of what doesn't fit that description has concerned Horror, and some of that is often variations of earlier themes. This 21st Century selection falls into neither of those categories.

Autobiographical. A split family. Some dealings with professional counseling. In fact, dealings with a councilor who should not be trusted. Eccentric characters.

Divorce. The father gone and in another relationship. The mother in constant therapy while also wrapped up in making the world acknowledge her as a great and gifted poetess. The teen son winds up boarded with her shrink's eccentric family. This is not an upgrade for his situation.

Thanks, Sixes. *Scissors* is rich with offbeat characters and dialogue:

Mother: "Don't try to compete with me. If you move back in with me, I won't allow it. You'll only get hurt. When I become a very famous woman, they'll write that I had a son who was a writer too, who didn't compare with my brilliance. I want more for you than that."

Son: "Did you mix your pills again?"

...And Wikipedia notes that that mother is still around and still trying to claim poetic immortality.

Next up:

Present Century: Teenage girl, with one completed sexual encounter behind her, has reason to believe she's pregnent. Buys several test kits from a sneering convenience-store clerk. Slugging down quantities of Sunny D to have something to put on the stick.

Mature man, trying to mentor a young aspiring writer, has distractions. Run-ins with a couple of neo-Nazi types. Street face-offs, smashed windshields, etc. Then he is seen with a rifle, and then seen no more, Neither are the Aryans. And that's a subplot. First decade, present century.

"I've had a crush on you ever since we met. Couldn't you tell by the way I was ignoring you?"

"There was something compelling about your apathy."

Star/director/scriptwriter has the mentor role it this story. The young writer with the elusive sweetheart and the clueless agent is the main focus of the work.

Small town, everybody knows everybody. The deceased was talented and relentless at making enemies. Her husband and one of her sons are among the prime suspects.