Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RooseveltSteinway

Movies You Never Get Sick Of

There's a group of movies made in the 1960s all on similar themes that I never tire of seeing and you've mentioned one:

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY

ADVISE AND CONSENT

THE BEST MAN

I think I've seen MAY 25 times at least. I could practically quote each line. But everytime I watch it I'm still waiting to see how it turns out.

It's a VERY underrated film.

Watching MR. BLANDINGS always makes me feel good. It's like listening to Mozart. Just thinking about the film right now I can recall the scene with Myrna Loy telling the contracter about the paint colors (not red like a Jonathan but ...) and I can smile and crack up.

Here's my short list.

The Maltese Falcon

The Big Sleep

The DI.

The Scarface Mob

Pet Cemetary

Pet Cematary2

Leprachaun

The postman Always Rings Twice

Open Range

The Unforgiven

The Haunting(1963)

Out of the Fog

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms

The Thing(1951)

The Giant Mantis

> {quote:title=Filmgoddess wrote:}{quote}There's a group of movies made in the 1960s all on similar themes that I never tire of seeing and you've mentioned one:

>

>

>

> SEVEN DAYS IN MAY

> ADVISE AND CONSENT

> THE BEST MAN

>

>

>

> I think I've seen MAY 25 times at least. I could practically quote each line. But everytime I watch it I'm still waiting to see how it turns out.

>

>

>

> It's a VERY underrated film.

Really, filmgodess? Hats off to you. That's not exactly what you'd call "conservative fare." And I agree with you about MR. BLANDINGS. That's one that never gets old.

I have never more enthusiatically agreed with a post ---especially SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, the most underrated film ever. For some reason this Frankenheimer film takes a back seat to Frankenheimer's THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, which is, IMHO, a far inferior film.

I haven't seen SEVEN DAYS IN MAY in a long time. Tell me if I'm wrong but isn't it basically a movie in which a fictitious president is assasinated by a secret military coup de tat (which is basically what conspiracy theorists think happened when JFK was assasinated)? People who like this movie, are you saying that's what you believe? Not trying to put words in anybody's mouth, just curious.

Potential military coup-de-etat which is nipped in the bud. No assassination or attempt, although it might have happened if Kirk didn't stumble onto what was going on and alert the Prez (March).

Monty, forgive me for being obnoxious...I try not to correct people on these boards ( I'm sure I can use some correcting myself a lot of the time), but I just can't let your spelling of coup d'etat go. You spelt it "coup de tat", which not only is incorrect, but misses the meaning of the phrase. It's French for ( roughly speaking) "blow, or strike. against the state". ( Coup meaning "hit", and "d'etat" meaning "state". I don't know how to put the accent over the "e".)

Sorry; good post you wrote there, just had to strike a coup on your coup de tat spelling. ]:)

These are the movies I never get sick of: Wizard of Oz, It's A Wonderful Life, Singing In The Rain, Anything with Laurel and Hardy, Anything with Chaplin, Anything with Buster Keaton.

Far more than I can mention but a couple in particular would be Sunset Blvd and Doctor Zhivago. For me both are just great movies.

Eugenia,

I echo your sentiments in regard to MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE and add...

Singing In The Rain

Since You Went Away

Remember The Night

The Awful Truth

The Man Who Came To Dinner

Hands Across The Table

Bringing Up Baby

Made For Each Other

Now, Voyager

The Bride Came C. O. D.

Meet John Doe

The Bishop's Wife

The Thin Man

Strike Up The Band

Summer Stock

Harvey

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

An American In Paris

Miracle In The Rain

On The Town

My Man Godfrey

Nothing Sacred

The More The Merrier

The Music Box

Mildred Pierce

The Women

Our Vines Have Tender Grapes

Bachelor Mother

The More The Merrier

Kitty Foyle

The Band Wagon

The Egg And I

A Christmas Story

The Pajama Game

On Moonlight Bay

Double Indemnity

Stella Dallas

My Foolish Heart

Swing Time

And I will stop now otherwise my list will take up the entire website. lol

Just so The Adventures of Robin Hood last week during the snowstorm. I never tire of that one.

A few others:

The Awful Truth

An American in Paris

Singin in the Rain

Casablanca

Baby Face

Gold Diggers of 1935

Best Years of Our Lives

Lost Horizon

The Bandwagon

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}Monty, forgive me for being obnoxious...I try not to correct people on these boards ( I'm sure I can use some correcting myself a lot of the time), but I just can't let your spelling of coup d'etat go. You spelt it "coup de tat", which not only is incorrect, but misses the meaning of the phrase. It's French for ( roughly speaking) "blow, or strike. against the state". ( Coup meaning "hit", and "d'etat" meaning "state". I don't know how to put the accent over the "e".)

> Sorry; good post you wrote there, just had to strike a coup on your coup de tat spelling. ]:)

Well, I would label this post a coup d' **** for tat. :)

Monty: I'm not sure what the reference to "conservative" fare means but it's early in the morning. It's about good movies although, for the record, the most evil villain in ADVISE AND CONSENT is the liberal peacenik who drives a character to suicide with no regrets whatsoever. If that's the kind of thing you're referring to.

Movies are not liberal or conservative to me. They're only good or bad.

Monty: Just in case you didn't know, most films are works of fiction, including documentaries. No one is assassinated in SEVEN DAYS IN MAY (although there's a hint that one of the characters is) but it involves a takeover of the govt by a segment of the military and the main plot is the discovery of that plot. It has nothing to do with the JFK assassination and the book was written before that event happened.

Liking a movie has nothing to do with agreeing with a position it might be taking. Darn, this is so hypothetical that it's even hard to respond.

Oh, for the record, I believe that LHO acted alone and that the vast majority of conspiracy theories are the delusions of sad minds.

But that has nothing to with the fact that SEVEN DAYS IN MAY is a great film.

Doctor Zhivago is a great film for curing insomnia. It was the beginning of the end for David Lean. It's so bloated and so dull. 15 minutes of great visuals can't make up for 3 plus hours of boredom.

One can like the film but I don't think any plausible claim can be made that it's a "great" film.

I may have too many film I never get sick of watching. Some of them are:

THE BIRDS

THE SOUND OF MUSIC

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960)

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS

GONE WITH THE WIND

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

MARY POPPINS

THE MUSIC MAN

JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

THE MIRACLE WORKER

BLACK CHRISTMAS

THE TAMARIND SEED

HOW THE WEST WAS WON

AUNTIE MAME

THE PRODUCERS (1968)

IT'S A GIFT

JOHN CARPENTER'S THE THING

DIAL M FOR MURDER

BALL OF FIRE

Many, many more.

To Kill A Mockingbird has always been another of my all time favorites along with Grand Hotel.

Edited by: Rickey on Nov 9, 2011 6:58 PM