Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CATCHALL FILM INDUSTRY TRIVIA THREAD

flashback42

This thread is meant to be used for questions in categories so vague that they are hard to place in the established threads. Also can be used when the longer-established threads are occupied with running discussions.

Mid-1970s (remember that -- it's important). Long-run, popular sitcom.>>Fairly popular spinoff, moving one character to another city.>>A portion of the spinoff's humor laid off onto the younger sister of the title character, a young actress who has stayed busy since that decade.>>Part of her comedy load was carried in a running gag about a series of ditsy, didn't-work-out roommates.

So, Scene: Younger Sister wakes from a sound sleep and finds the current Ditsy Roommate has brought home a fellow-worker from her job. They both are dressed in the bright red-and-blue outfits they wear as they sit in very small booths and serve drive-by customers for a photo-developing business. Still groggy but becoming oriented, Younger Sister says, "I thought my nightmare was having a Bicentennial Minute!"

Series and spinoff? The topical reference in Younger Sister's comment?

Rhoda? - Brenda (Julie Kavner) her sister. I remember CBS aired this is a bicentenial minute -200 years ago today......I think it was aired at nite (1976) although I think this went on maybe before '76- like they ran the blurbs for a couple of years.-- is that what Brenda is referring to?

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Nov 7, 2011 9:36 AM

Correct and your thread, lavender. We recently dealt with some MTM material in another thread, and that brought this incident to mind. It's my impression that a certain percentage of the readership of these forums may be too young to remember the Bicentennial Minutes period. For anyone not familiar with that institution, the Wikipedia people, bless their hearts, have a terse and accurate description.

Oh. As for Julie Kavner as Younger sister -- I can practically hear that line being delivered in Marge Simpson's voice.

lavender's thread to take or open.

Edited by: flashback42 on Nov 7, 2011 11:34 AM

My husband proposed to me during the 1976 bicentenial celebration. It seems that's all everyone was talking about (not my impending marriage- LOL ) but the bicentenial. It was an exciting time.

It would be interesting to find out how many posters here remember that year.

I don't have one at the moment, so the thread is open to all.

Noted. It's not like there's a landmark time approaching re the year 1976, but anyone with memories worth passing along re the bicentennial or the Bicentennial Minutes, please feel free to use this catchall thread to do so. One thing I found out on Wikipedia: The daily 60 seconds used by CBS for a year and a half for the mini-celebrations were kept in place after the Bicentennial was over as "daily news briefs".

Edited by: flashback42 on Nov 7, 2011 11:27 PM

I have a lyrics question, and the thread devoted to that is awaiting a response. I'll use this thread instead. This song has verses, but I'll just go with the chorus:

♫ Let's do something cheap and superficial,

Let's do something that we might regret. ♪

♫ Let's do something shabby and insensitive,

This might be the only chance we get. ♪

Context? Singer?

Variation of the "big name on little screen" theme:

1960s-70s. Comedy-variety show, leaning on short, fast-paced skits, generous with guest appearances. A guest often seen, several skits during the episode and then an exit skit in his signature style:

"It ain't that the judgin' work is thu...

But this here wig is messin up my doo!"

exiting:

"Here come da judge, here come da judge. Order in the court, 'cause here come da judge!"

Who? Program?

{font:Calibri}This pilot episode of a short-lived 1960s tv show was directed by a director who may be most famous for directing a 1970s tearjerker and also features a dependable character actor as a truant officer. Name the director, the actor, and the tv show.{font}

{font:Calibri}This pilot episode of a two-season 1960s comedy about an odd family! was directed by a director who may be most famous for directing a 1970s theatrical tearjerker, which gave its leading lady overnight stardom, and also features a dependable comedic character actor as a truant officer, making sure the children go to school. Name the director, the actor, and the tv show.{font}

Edited by: allaboutlana on Nov 16, 2011 11:03 AM

Edited by: allaboutlana on Nov 16, 2011 4:33 PM

You know it, Miles. You recognized the show, I hope that means you were also a fan of Family . Great cast, great scripts. James Broderick terriffic actor and Matthew's dad, wonderful Sada Thompson, Meredith Baxter, Gary Frank, precocious Quinn Cummings replacing precocious Krisy McNichol I never missed an episode. As far as Kristy goes, she was also in Empty Nest . She was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and decided to leave show business. First she became a hairdresser then she taught acting at public and private schools. All very talented people. I miss the show very much.

Great work Miles, your thread.

Thanks. An actress who recently passed away was the mother of a two time Oscar winner. This actress had been in mostly small bit parts in the forties until she starred in a sci-fi movie in the early fifties. When guest starring on an episode of a western TV series, she met the actor who would become her next husband and stepfather to her children. Her daughter started acting in television while still in her teens. She had one successful series before delving into movies and winning those Oscars. Can you name the mother and daughter actresses and the actor who starred in the western series?

Edited by: MilesArcher on Nov 18, 2011 11:12 PM

Yes, Margaret "Maggie" Field died on November 6th, the 65th birthday of her daughter Sally. Maggie met Jock Mahoney when she appeared on his western series "The Range Rider" in the early fifties. After they were married, she changed her professional name to Maggie Mahoney. Jock Mahoney had a long career as a stuntman and actor in westerns and action movies. He even had a turn at playing Tarzan. His last movie was one that featured step-daughter Sally and her then boy friend, Burt Reynolds. It was called ironically "The End". Good job, Sunny. Now it's your turn to post a question.

Thanks, Miles!

These two brothers (not the Barrymores!) each starred in movies separately in the 30's and 40's, and on at least two occasions they acted together in the same movie (playing brothers each time.)

Name the two actors and at least one of the movies where they acted together.

Archived