Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone groove to the pre-code delights earlier this morning?

MELODY CRUISE (1933) and a William Haines flick, WAY OUT WEST (1930)? I saw WAY OUT WEST a long time ago, but haven't seen the other one yet. I'm looking forward to checking them out from the DVR before tonight's awesome Gloria Stuart fest!! Anyone have a chance to watch these groovy pre-codes?

Oh and there was a groovy Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly short on before the first pre-code flick as well: TIN MAN from 1935! I'm really looking forward to seeing that one, as I caught it's appearance on the schedule just in time to add to the DVR schedule!

> {quote:title=Rickey wrote:

> }{quote}I've liked Charley Ruggles in everything I've seen him in, great character actor that adds some comic relief very effectively.

I usually like him too, but have you seen MURDERS IN THE ZOO (1933)? There's WAY too much of his alleged comedy relief and he almost spoils the horror mood.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:

> }{quote}MELODY CRUISE is a fun musical. Both Phil Harris and Charley Ruggles are great fun in this film! :D

That's one of my TOP favorites too! So much good stuff it it:

June Brewster & Shirley Chambers

Betty Grable & Marion Byron

Bud Jamison

The songs

The music (especially hearing the first usage of "I Met Her At a Party" that RKO used in so many shorts later).

The editing & cool dissolves & wipes, sound, etc.

Wow, MELODY CRUISE is awesome!!!! I didn't have a chance to see it until today, but man!!!! Sexy dames in lingerie (June Brewster and Shirley Chambers)---wow!!!!! YOWZA!!! And Charlie Ruggles in fine form, and that oh so succulent dame, Helen Mack!!! Pre-codes, keep on bringin' em!!!

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Rickey wrote:

> > }{quote}I've liked Charley Ruggles in everything I've seen him in, great character actor that adds some comic relief very effectively.

> I usually like him too, but have you seen MURDERS IN THE ZOO (1933)? There's WAY too much of his alleged comedy relief and he almost spoils the horror mood.

I swear this was done intentionally to keep it from being unrelievedly gruesome. Ruggles didn't have to play it that way (I've seen him do far less two-reel comic bumbling in other films), so my guess is that he was directed to do so. Take him out of the script and it is one sick film (and I would prefer it that way).