THE GOOD EARTH

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

IN HARM'S WAY

_MAR 2_

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS

CABIN IN THE SKY

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

Definitely not on the February schedule-- surprise, surprise:

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (swept all major categories)

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (which channel got the rights?)

CITIZEN KANE

MILDRED PIERCE

BUTTERFIELD 8

SERGEANT YORK

WINGS (aired last February)

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (swept all main categories)

CHARLY (After all, Cliff Robertson just passed away.)

I like all of these movies, especially The Best Years Of Our Lives. In many aspects it's just as relevant today pertaining to people coming home from the service and trying to readjust to civilian life. Great movie.

DAVID AND LISA surprised me, but I love it and hope many people watch it.

Another real surprise was THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (1940), a Universal horror picture starring John Barrymore.

WRITTEN ON THE WIND is a Universal picture...and I wonder if they will be showing the newly restored print by Criterion.

Thanks Topbilled. You are the one, time and time again, to get the information first and then post it for us. Regarding the titles so far, nothing very exciting. I would have loved to seen DEATH OF A SALESMAN on that list. Arthur Miller supposedly hated Fredric March's portrayal and that has something to do with keeping this out of Sony's hands and therefore TCM'S hands. March was nominated for an Oscar however.

*You are the one, time and time again, to get the information first and then post it for us.* - cody

Under one screen name or another, yes he/she certainly does try to beat poor classicstarletsfan to the punch. Thanks a bunch, tb/jm/...!

None of March's Oscar performances are included. I thought for sure we would have seen DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE on the schedule and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, but no. And INHERIT THE WIND, which earned Tracy a nom, is also absent.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:

> }{quote}A real surprise was THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (1940), a Universal horror picture starring John Barrymore.

>

Thanks for digging up all that info!

Yes, THE INVISIBLE WOMAN is a surprise (and a very pleasant one) on TCM.

But it's actually much more a comedy than a horror picture.

I'm a fan of Virginia Bruce, so I am rather looking forward to THE INVISIBLE WOMAN. Plus, it is Barrymore at the tail end of his career and life.

I'm bummed that *Wings* didn't make the schedule. Last year, it happened to be on at the same time as the Superbowl, so the TV with the DVD recorder was taken...

God, am I glad that February comes but once a year. Every one of these films has been ground into the dust by now, and once again we're reminded of just how totally market-driven the Oscar awards are. Hopefully TCM will find room for a few misfits and premieres in between all the technicolor spectacles and cheesy historical hagiographies, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh well, we'll always have August.....

It seems like I'm usually more disappointed than pleased each year with TCM's 31 days of Oscar. Wings certainly should be aired (even get a short glimpse of Gary Cooper in it) and so historical.

Also 1931's Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde with Frederic March winning best actor, this was also the very first horror film to win an oscar. Two very historical significant movies.

I agree. One of those films has particularly been ground into the dust. It's being shown on February 13. I think the 31 days of Oscar concept has passed its sell by date.

I agree. One of those films has particularly been ground into the dust. It's being shown on February 13. I think the 31 days of Oscar concept has passed its sell by date.

I would say that as with "The Essentials" it may be a case of just trumpeting the same titles over and over and that some consideration should be given to other formats. "But this is the way we always do it" isn't always the best way to run a business.

Even the guest programmer series - Ron Perlman has lined up SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, GUNGA DIN, MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON and RED RIVER. What do they do with these guests, give them a list of the films that play the most often and ask them to pick from there?

On the other hand, I do like Osborne's "Bob's Picks" monthly feature as he tends to stick a premiere in there, and often enough some titles that get little play or are worthy of note even if not well-known. I really wish it would become a weekly showcase instead of all four picks on one night.

As I have done for the last few years, I'll use the time to go through my DVDs.

There could be a more innovative approach, if TCM simply had to do something in connection with the Oscars. For example, King of the Zombies was nominated for best score in 1941. Looking deeper into Oscar history for some unusual titles nominated for less visible awards would be interesting.

Apart from the "In Memorium" segment, the Oscar show seems to have no respect for movie history. Even last year's tribute to Eli Wallach took place in a prior ceremony and with other honorees. You never see a wonderful older star as a presenter anymore, because the Oscar people seem afraid that teenagers won't know who they are. Well there are alot of us baby boomers around who don't know who many of the presenters are! Hollywood is ignoring a big market. Plenty of classic film actors still around who would be great as award presenters -- Nanette Fabray, for example.

Please keep in mind that the February schedule is not final and there could be signficant changes from what TopBilled has shared.

You never see a wonderful older star as a presenter anymore, because the Oscar people seem afraid that teenagers won't know who they are.

When I was in my teens and twenties, for me the great attraction was seeing the likes of John Wayne, James Stewart, Cary Grant making an appearance. Sure, seeing Raquel Welch in some revealing outfit was enjoyable, but back then there was a mix of old and new.

I've only missed one airing since Sidney Poitier took home the gold and that was the 1969 show as I was working at night and going to school. But after the last debacle, with that annoying Anne Hathaway going "woo woo" as a cheer every few minutes, I may just give up entirely on the show.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> Sure, seeing Raquel Welch in some revealing outfit (on the Oscars telecast) was enjoyable, but back then there was a mix of old and new.

Y'know, I've never though much about Raquel Welch one way or another (I was born in '78) but sometime this Spring I went to youtube and watched a lot of classic scenes from classic Oscar Shows. The year that Liza Minelli won Best Actress for Cabaret, the award was presented by (oddly) Raquel Welch and some male star- exactly who I have forgotten (they used to, I think throw a bunch of names in a hat to determine the presenters, because I think Roger Moore helped present Best Actor that year, again I know not why.)

Anyhoo, the Best Actress award was given almost immediately after the Best Actor award, which was won that year by Marlon Brando, who we all know sent Miss American Vampire Sacheen Littlefeather to reject the statuette- ostensibly in defense of the unfair portrayals of Native Americans in films- in one of the more idiotic moments in Hollywood history.

As her companion starts to open the envelope, Raquel doesn't miss a beat and cracks "hope they haven't got a cause." Terribly innapropriate but absolutely true and rather hilarious (you can see the nominees reaction as she says this and you can tell they're all thinking: b*tch don't step on my moment.")

These were the days (and prior to this) that the Academy Awards were entertaining and enjoyable to watch. I quit watchng several years ago.

I remember in 1985 that James Stewart received some honorary award and Cary Grant was the one to present it to him. This is where I first learned of the anecdote that Stewart ad-libbed a hiccup in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY as it was Grant who revealed it.

That was such a combo of true legends, and I was wishing that both would just stand there and tell stories for the rest of the night. Grant was already retired from show biz for nearly two decades, but who better to represent the golden age could they have found that night?

Thanks for giving me hope! It would be great if there are significant changes to the February schedule that TopBilled posted!

Great story clore. I never knew about the ad libbed hiccup in The Philadephia Story.

I don't think anyone could have represented the golden age better than Cary Grant.

I remember one or two Awards show with James Stewart, but I must have missed this one.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. The scene is the one where a drunken Stewart comes to visit Grant and he's talking about how booze is "a great leveler."

Boy, it sounds as if this year's Awards show is falling apart. The producer quit the other day and now planned host Eddie Murphy has backed out.