Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

February Schedule & 31 Days of Oscar

> {quote:title=QRex wrote:}{quote}I'm bummed that *Wings* didn't make the schedule. Last year, it happened to be on at the same time as the Superbowl, so the TV with the DVD recorder was taken...

I would assume that TCM is waiting for the brand new restoration of *WINGS,* which was completed just a few months ago. It will be well worth the wait. There is a new Full Orchestra recording of the original 1927 J. S. Zamecnik musical score. And the print from the Academy Film Archive at AMPAS re-instates, most of the vintage tints and toning effects. The only thing that has not been replicated is the Stencil color process that was used during one of the battle sequences. The new version is screening at the TCM Classic Film Festival in April, and my be an unofficial world premiere. Paramount is expected to release this on Blu-Ray and DVD in the coming year. It will probably be on TCM before than.

On the other hand, have to admit that I am justly disappointed that *SEVENTH HEAVEN,* and presumably Josef' Von Sternberg's *UNDERWORLD,* and *THE LAST COMMAND* were both left off the TCM February schedule yet again. None of the three have ever been shown, and I expected them to show up last time.

> One reason I say this: the last few posts dedicated to these topics have been (I must say) refreshingly free from the "Defenders of the Realm" with their "why are you so mad because TCM doesn't play what you want to see, it's not all about you; apples and oranges! apples and oranges!; how dare you besmirch the good name of TCM, don't you know how hard they try to get the permission to rent these titles, you're lucky they even show movies for you ungrateful bastids!; why all the negativity?, it reflects poorly on us as a community when you don't agree with us that nothing is ever wrong with the network" soft-shoe routine.

JonnyGeetar,

If people do have an opinion different from yours, they have the exact same right that you do to post. *Belittling them because they don't agree with you is not acceptable.* Please *don't do it again*.

Michael/TCMWebAdmin

Wow! I'm glad that *Wings* got such a fantastically special treatment. I might have to get that DVD when it comes out.

I would love to see it on the big screen at the TCM Classic Film Festival, but living in Florida that's a long way to go (but would love to attend). I have a copy of Wings but will definitely buy the restored version. gagman is probably correct about TCM airing it before its release, hope so.

Even with a new restoration, *WINGS* will never look as good as it once did when freshly minted. The First Generation and second generation Camera Negatives were lost long ago. All new prints have to be mastered from a safety copy struck in 1965. Even the previous Photoplay Restoration with the Carl Davis score from 1993, that never made it to TCM. I thought this was very good Certainly much better clarity than the Gaylord Carter scored version Paramount stuck them with.

Nevertheless, Greg Nestor who was directly involved in the restoration effort, had this to say a few weeks ago.

*"Just came back from Paramount, where I saw and heard the new restoration of WINGS. SUPERB quality - image is even and flicker free, cleaned up beautifully - during the overture, 100 years of Paramount logos are shown, leading up to film start. Tinting effects during dogfights have that hand tinted / hand painted look, - it is an experience that you will be very excited to see and hear. Restoration copyright on the film is 2012.*

*I think you will be pleased!!"*

*Greg Nestor*

*And from Wild Bill Wellman Jr.*

*"I saw the restored film at Paramount last Tuesday...I was blown away.*

*The tinting, sound effects and the music were incredible I knew the full restoration would be good, but it all was way beyond my expectations. I'm still in the grip of the elation. I thank you so much for your work...and all your associates involved in the music. I believe my father would be very pleased."*

*Best Regards,*

*Bill Wellman Jr.*

I greatly appreciate all of the information. Can't wait to see it. I think 100 years of Paramount logos being shown is great!!!! 2012 is just around the corner.....

Thanks Again

SOME OUT OF THE BOX SUGGESTIONS FOR 31 DAYS

Seems to me as these films haven't been seen in a while:

1. Save the Tiger (1973)

2. A Touch of Class (1973)

3. The Day of the Locust (1975)

4. The Letter (1929)

5. Sadie Thompson (1927)

6. The Patriot (1929)

7. Svengali (1931)

8. Bad Girl (1932)

9. The General Died at Dawn (1936)

10. B.F.'s Daughter (1948)

11. The Sniper (1952)

12. Billy Budd (1962)

13. The Cardinal (1963)

14. Freud (1962)

15. Women in Love (1970)

I quite possibly got some of the years wrong- and I know it's top-heavy with films from the 70's. I'm not one of those that has issues with Post-Nixon era films airing.

>I would assume that TCM is waiting for the brand new restoration of WINGS, which was completed just a few months ago.

Disagree. They could show the current version in February, then later in the year and in 2013 show the restored version. There is no need to wait to see WINGS again on the schedule, especially since it is a vital part of American film history.

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote}Once again I apologize to Jonny Geetar for my unnecessary sarcasm.

Sarcasm is never unnecessary. Without sarcasm some of us would be utterly unable to get up in the morning or put one foot in front of the other. Never apologize for sarcasm! That said, my "ya'll" remark was a trifle elitist and b*tchy. I'm just that way lately.

I'm s...s...sss....(gagging)...ssss....s...

orry.

JG

Rickey,

I never-ever thought I would see the new restorations of both *WHAT PRICE GLORY?* and *WINGS* on TCM ahead of the restored *THE BIG PARADE?* Buut I have been waiting for 7 years, and there is still no sign of it. The restoration from the original camera negative was completed in 2004. Those who have seen it, can't rave enought about the superior print quality.Just screened in L. A. in July. I have several friends who were there.

Unfortunately, only about 10 or 12 minutes of Lubitsch THE PATRIOT (1928) survives. THE LAST COMMAND though needs a TCM premiere.

I really enjoyed it when Martha Stewart guest-hosted -- one of the films she chose was ENCHANTED APRIL (1935). It was a refreshingly outside-the-box kind of choice. :)

I'm not sure how TopBilled did this. The way I usually get the schedule is to type into the search engine of the site database the categories that you see on the TCM Full Schedule - romance, epic, mystery, etc. These are metatags in the film description that the site has. I select the "SITE" option and then SEARCH. Then I just go through and get all of the titles for the month of interest until I have a pretty complete schedule. So far no February items pop up using this approach, and TCM personnel may have eliminated that feature because, for some warped reason, they want us to be in the dark about future schedules.

They'll probably say it's because they don't want schedules that are not final being taken as fact and then get complaints. My theory - if you know a rare film is going to be aired that is also in the Warner Archive, why would you pay their inflated price for a burned disc when you can record it yourself. Just guessing here.

>It's interesting. Frequently, whenever you or someone posts an upcoming schedule well in advance, the Administrator posts that it's not final and is subject to major changes. But it never does change much, does it? Maybe just a tiny bit? Perhaps the Administrator is the Boy Who Cried Wolf! What do you think, Mr. Administrator, can we expect big changes to February? I hope so.

Yes, I do not understand why we have to be so cautionary about it. Once it appears on the TCM database, that means the schedule is set. Of course, there will be a few last-minute changes regarding rights issues, or pre-emptions when a famous celebrity dies and a quick memorial tribute is substituted. But for the most part, the schedule is already set. There's really no need for a disclaimer in my opinion.

>I've been in the programming business for many, many years and know that sometimes it's easy to recycle. To present a program in one series, then when you have another series in which the same progam fits, you find it easy to slot it in and justify it by the fact that it's a different series. I've done it on occasion, even though I felt like I was cheating. But the proposed February schedule goes a bit overboard in that regard, I think.

I completely agree with your last sentence here. I think the programmers are getting lazy. It is too easy to throw in three or four epics and then end the evening with GONE WITH THE WIND, and call it a day on TCM. This was probably the easiest, most recycled monthly schedule they have done in quite some time. Shame on them.

In this thread, I have posted the many best picture nominees that have been overlooked. Too many of them if you ask me. And I am not even mentioning films that were not nominated for best picture, where a lead performer walked away with top acting honors. So we are talking at least two hundred classic films that have been scrapped in favor of SEVEN DAYS IN MAY and SOME LIKE IT HOT, both which will air several more times by summer.

Just a quick glance at Jarrod's enormous list of movies that should have been shown, many were shown just last year:

http://www.classicmovies.org/turner/turner0211.htm

*Broadway Melody* , *The Big House* , *Disraeli* , *The Love Parade* , *Cimarron* , *Lady for a Day* , *The Private Life of Henry VIII* , *State Fair* , *Alice Adams* , *A Midsummer Night's Dream* , *The Great Ziegfeld* , *Mr. Deeds Goes to Town* , *The Awful Truth* , *Lost Horizon* , *Dead End* , *You Can't Take It with You* , *Of Mice and Men* , *Wuthering Heights* , *The Great Dictator* , *Sergeant York* , *Madame Curie* , *For Whom the Bell Tolls* , *The Human Comedy* , *Great Expectations* , *Separate Tables* , *Room at the Top* .

Do your research next time before you criticize TCM. Some of the other movies were shown two years ago.

If they were shown again this year, I guess we'd be hearing from TopBilled/JarrodMcDonald how lazy the TCM programmers were. :-)

Please people, don't feed the trolls.

Edited by: smileys on Nov 11, 2011 12:38 PM, didn't have time to go through the list completely this morning

Hi calvin,

A good magician never reveals his secrets. LOL

One thing I want to add is that there is no reason to keep fans of the channel in the dark about important broadcasts on the schedule.

If they are going to show a rare classic three, four or even five months from now and they know it (the rights are already secured), then wouldn't it behoove them to tip their hand early? Think of all the free advance publicity they get from those of us who excitedly blog about an upcoming premiere on TCM and post about it on Facebook. It's a win-win for them and us.

It is probably very hard to do a 31 days of Oscars each year and keep it fresh, I don't think even Houdini could pull that one off, lol. Most of the most interestin' movies I see from TCM ususally seem to come up at 3AM or 5 AM or Saturday morning.

Disagree. It is not that hard to be creative. Plus, with all these great titles to choose from, there are a lot of combinations that can be done for many years. If it is a matter of them not having the rights to many films that have been nominated for Oscars, then maybe it's time to retire the concept. Because in that case, it is becoming like AMC when they could no longer acquire the titles they once had access to...and it was time for a new channel to come along.

It's obvious from your posts the last few years that you despise everything about TCM, and more than likely don't even watch it. Why not stick to your favorite, Netflix streaming, and leave this website to people that actually enjoy TCM?

*The Trail of the Lonesome Pine* (1936) is a great film and was nominated for the best song Oscar. I don't think it's been on for ages. It's the kind of film that would be nice to show in February. It has a great cast and story and the historical significance of having been the first outdoor Technicolor film. And Beulah Bondi has her finest soliloquy!

Hi Swithin,

I would agree that TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE is due another showing. In fact, I think there should be an evening consisting entirely of Sylvia Sidney films and I would definitely include this one.

> {quote:title=smileys wrote:}{quote}It's obvious from your posts the last few years that you despise everything about TCM, and more than likely don't even watch it. Why not stick to your favorite, Netflix streaming, and leave this website to people that actually enjoy TCM?

As much as I agree with you, it looks like we are fighting a losing battle. People have left or have a minimal presence that used to be valuable members of this board.

Just a thought. Comcast recently bought Universal from NBC. Perhaps this is what is holding up many of the Paramount pre'48 and Universal titles from appearing on TCM. Comcast could put them on their on-demand service at $2.99 a viewing. I haven't seen this happen yet,but it is a possibility.

I guess we can keep our fingers crossed and keep hoping (and hoping). Anything that brings some of them out of the vaults and into our living rooms.