Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are you on Facebook?

Don't know about you guys but I don't have much to say to my third cousin on my mom's side or my best friend in 7th grade other than "went to Home Depot today. Got a good deal on a ratchet set." I much prefer hanging out on messageboards like this one with people who share my interests.

*My friend has to give me her account password so I can see her pictures.* - E

I didn't know that was an option. I joined just to see my family's baby pictures. Oh well, I used a fake name, birthday, etc., so nobody can find me anyway, and have blocked anyone from seeing/contacting me just in case. :-)

Interesting. A lot of mid-eastern royalty on that list, I noticed. I have a friend who used to be addicted to it. He had a small building built in his back yard with heating & a.c. & everything, just for his ham radio. He had to quit when his wife threatened divorce cause she never saw him anymore.

I made up a fake name on Facebook just so I could look up people that I know or have known without having to worry about them tracking me down. It has led to quite a few surprises. Amazing the personal info people leave out there for the world to see.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}:D

>

> You be surprised who you can meet over the air, past and present.

>

> http://www.dx-qsl.com/famous-ham-radio-operators.html

As a former U.S.Coast Guard radioman who could smoke a speed key using Morse code, thank you for a post that brings back fond memories.

Jake in the Heartland

You mean you haven't 'liked' TCM on TCM's Facebook page? Or figured out how to send a moronic message of 140 characters on TCM's Twitter page?

They're not taking any chances, and have embraced the websites that are further eroding (is that still possible?) the intelligence of the already unintelligent major populi.

I don't know. I'm on it. I think it provides a useful service: a cheap way to keep in touch with friends & family on a daily basis. If it didn't it wouldn'g be growing the way it has. Plus, more important, the movie about it was excellent.

yes. I've been on FB for about 3 years and it's an easy, convenient way to keep in touch with friends and family, many of whom live half way across the country. But it is funny that so often the same people are always on and are always the ones making commnets....Hmmmm.....sounds like another site I go to a lot..LOL

*JakeHolman ~*

*As a former U.S.Coast Guard radioman who could smoke a speed key using Morse code, thank you for a post that brings back fond memories.*

*Hamradio ~*

*Yes, when it comes to Morse Code (CW), memories is what we all will be left with. Young people are simply not interested in it today due to Facebook, Smartphones, broadband, etc,*

*Here is a nice article about this dying art.*

I think how Fascinating it is to be able to send Morse Codes message ... And to be able to Read them. I've always loved to see it being used in those War time Movies. And wasn't there actually a person who was being held captive, during the Gulf War, who was telling the viewers that they were being well taken care of & not to worry about them ... but @ the same time, this same person was 'blinking' sporatically, and someone was able to detect that this person was attempting to send a message of their location. Does anyone remember this story ? I was flabbergasted ... I mean, how Crucial is this ?? ... In this case, there were NO Smartphones or Broadbands available. And the quickest thing had to be used..

This Morse Code should Never be a 'dying art'.

Just like 'Short hand' . . . Is this taught any longer ? When I was in High School, during the '60's, I was attempting to learn 'Pitman Shorthand', but could never quite the hang of it. My Dad tried to help me, but wasn't able to since he had learned 'Gregg Shorthand' during his College days.

But, just like Morse Codes, I think it's just Awesome for someone to be able to learn this rapid dictation and to be able to read it back again. Who knows when a 'Crucial' time may come up when shorthand will be needed in a 'pinch' !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpQvqUVlCKslMwPNd7rWfimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoB-8mFaQZjhbwJBnP7P7

Why Thank you sir.

I had the honor and good luck to attend the U.S. Coast Guard's Radioman school at Governor's Island New York for six months.

The Navy had the money and technology but their radiomen could not hold a candle to Coasties using the Code.

I did intercept an SOS call late one night while on watch guarding the international and caling frequency on 500KHZ band.

I still, to this day, know the Morse code and the Coast Guard told me that is the only thing I did very well on in its battery of tests for future service in the Guard.

Have a great evening...

>willbefree25 wrote: You mean you haven't 'liked' TCM on TCM's Facebook page? Or figured out how to send a moronic message of 140 characters on TCM's Twitter page?

>

>They're not taking any chances, and have embraced the websites that are further eroding (is that still possible?) the intelligence of the already unintelligent major populi.

Not all twitters are the same. I turned mine into a personal Tao.

http://twitter.com/#!/128writer

Oh yeah. I see it, Charlotte.

I'm talkin' about your Twitter picture here. Yep, I can definitely see that Mary Tyler Moore resemblance you mentioned a while back in Dobbs' "Which star do you resemble" thread...especially that bright and pretty MTM-esque smile of yours.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}I made up a fake name on Facebook just so I could look up people that I know or have known without having to worry about them tracking me down. It has led to quite a few surprises. Amazing the personal info people leave out there for the world to see.

I understand that prospective employers are eyeing Facebook pages as one more insight into candidates. In today's job market, I would suggest that anyone out there looking for a job make sure to use the site sccordingly.

I've never used it, instant messaging was enough to drive me nuts as I had too many times with too many friends trying to chat with me at once.