Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tom Mix's death in 1940

Tom Mix had been in Arizona visiting Tucson Sheriff Ed Nichols. After leaving the Oracle Inn, he was driving faster than he should (some reports have him going at least 80 mph).

A bridge had been washed out and barriers were up. Mix didn't stop fast enough and ended up rolling the car twice.

An aluminum suitcase, filled with money, travelers checks and some jewelry, that Mix had packed on a shelf in the back seat, flew forward hitting Mix in the back of head, breaking his neck and shattering his skull.

Eyewitness reports say he died almost instantly.

Robert Birchard, a film historian, has a good book out on Mix. I recommend it!

Dale,

Speaking of Tom Mix, have you ever read the book by Clifford Irving { yes, that Clifford Irving, of the phoney Howard Hughes bio}. He wrote a book titled "Tom Mix and Pancho Villa" It's a wonderful slam bang shoot 'em up about a young Tom Mix meeting up with Villa and riding with him. This is one terrific piece of work. I read this over 20 years ago and loved it. There was talk one time of a movie, but sadly it never happened. So, if you never read it, I highly recommend it to you and any other buckaroo out there looking for a fun western....Roy

>An aluminum suitcase, filled with money, travelers checks and some jewelry, that Mix had packed on a shelf in the back seat, flew forward hitting Mix in the back of head, breaking his neck and shattering his skull.

Not the first fatal incidence of money going to an actor's head.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:}If anybody’s interested, Encore is running *Sunset,* the movie about Mix and Wyatt Earp with Bruce Willis and James Garner, now. The rating is only 1 1/2 stars but so far I like it.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}