Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I find it odd that there are so many cross-connections among stars.

I saw a reference to a press department giving young star Linda Christian the nickname: "The Anatomic Bomb". I have never heard of her so I checked IMDB.com.

It says in part: "During the late 1940s Christian roomed with Ruth Roman and five other aspiring actresses. They called the residence "The House of Seven Garbos.".

It is nice to think they had such audacious good humor.

*I saw a reference to a press department giving young star Linda Christian the nickname: "The Anatomic Bomb". I have never heard of her so I checked IMDB.com.*

Linda Cristian was a Mexican/Dutch beauty who became Tyrone Power's second wife in 1949. She is one of the reasons that the hot-hot hot Power/Lana Turner romance of 1947 did not end in nuptials (ironically Linda had had a small role in Turner's 1947 epic, GREEN DOLPHIN STREET). The Power/Cristian wedding took place in Europe (Italy? French Riviera?-the location slipped my mind) where Ty was busy in his 18 month tax sojourn filming away from the States, and it was mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

• 3 weeks later...

Ruth Roman was back on TCM today in a film she made with Steve Cochran at Warner Brothers called TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY. She once again does a great job. However, her part should not be confused with anything Vivien Leigh ever played.

Regarding: *Tomorrow is Another Day*

I posted my comments about this film on Rambles II before I saw this thread. I'd been waiting so long to see it and just fell for it all over again. She was definitely not blonde material and I was glad when the real Ruth emerged. I thought she went from hardnosed tough girl to loving wife very believably; it would have been nice to see her do more movies with Steve Cochran. This one stayed with me since the early 60's and was worth the wait.

Another interesting tidbit about the wonderful Ms. Roman. I knew that she made many movies at Warners, especially during the 1940's. In fact, she was supposed to be in "Bright Leaf", but had been kept busy so much by the studio, that she was given some time off, and was replaced in the movie by Lauren Bacall. Like so many of you, I adore this woman.

Terrence.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:

> }{quote}Yes, I appreciate the huge amount of airplay she has had in the past few months. It's been fun (re)discovering these films and the performances she turned in at the height of her popularity.

She's on TCM again today (Jan. 9) in BARRICADE (1950).

Hey, if TCM would devote a whole day to her movies we could call it a "Roman Holiday"!

Great idea! I looked and she's not featured much in the months ahead (probably because she was not in many Oscar-nominated films).

I watched TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY last night. Her blonde hair and icy demeanor in that role was very reminiscent of Babs in DOUBLE INDEMNITY.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> She's on TCM again today (Jan. 9) in BARRICADE (1950).

>

Yep, there she is while Black Michael from the 1937 PRISONER OF ZENDA squares off against Black Michael from the1952 version and Dane Clark gets his buddy John Garfield's role in this western remake of THE SEA WOLF.

• 4 months later...

>Fans get a chance to see her in the rarely shown 'Look in Any Window' (1961) - a dramatic vehicle for the - then - teen idol, Paul Anka. Scheduled on June 28.

Thanks for the reminder. I am very much looking forward to that film on TCM.

• 2 months later...

images-58.jpg

I feel that she deserves a SUTS tribute. Can we ask for that in 2013...?

She has a few upcoming appearances: DALLAS will air on August 26th...and STRANGERS ON A TRAIN hits TCM in September.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ruth Roman is back this November...

On November 7th, she appears in a 1963 episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour on the Encore Suspense Channel. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394102/

Next, on November 12th, she appears in a 1969 episode of Gunsmoke on TVLand. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0594061/

Then, she shows up on TCM on November 15th in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044079/