Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone Like Ben Better Now?

There are about a hundred offensive words out there to describe women (****, ****, Catch You Next Tuesday, for starters) and to my knowledge "Chick" is not one of them. Even in the 60's it was a compliment to be called "a cute and happening chick" and if someone called me that today, I'd say thank you. I certainly wouldn't be offended or call the sexism police. And besides, Chicks are cute and adorable and fuzzy. Who doesn't love chicks?

Now if Ben were to bust any of the above mentioned derogatory words to describe a woman, I'd be raging mad. But calling a movie a chick flick? There are about ten million more things in the world to get angry over. That's not one of them. At least for me it isn't.

Oh and Fred, your story about seeing Western movies and the girls and boys watching them? Made me smile. Thanks!

Thanks, aftermath.

Let me put it another way ------ maybe it was the WAY he said it? I don't know, would Robert Osborne call a movie a 'chick flick'?

I have no idea. If most of you are happy with 'chick', great.

I don't like Ben, so even if he said 'this is a women are Madonna's' movie, I probably wouldn't like it.

As Capt. Firefly said (if it was he that said it): whatever it is, I'm against it.

dolores

'Chick' may not be intended as a derogatory term, but, as used by men to describe women, it is certainly a diminutive.

What kind of female person do you envision when you think about a chick?

Not an intelligent, capable, responsible woman.

More like a young, cute, perhaps a little silly, fashion-conscious girl. As sugarpuss said in her post, "Chicks are cute and adorable and fuzzy." That's fine for a six-year-old. But for a grown woman?

I don't think that there is a male equivalent, is there? 'Chicks' go out with 'guys' or dudes,' and those are not diminutives. They have positive connotations -- well, 'dude' might or might not, depending of who is saying it. Regardless, it doesn't equate with 'child'.

If that is the way we let ourselves be seen, that is the way we will be thought of and treated -- like children.

To me, the expression 'chick flick' denotes a movie that men consider second-rate. And so do the terms 'women's picture' and 'weepie'. Because since the beginning of history, women have been considered to be less substantial, intellectually and emotionally and every other way, than men.

I don't think that there is a male equivalent, is there? 'Chicks' go out with 'guys' or dudes,' and those are not diminutives. They have positive connotations -- well, 'dude' might or might not, depending of who is saying it. Regardless, it doesn't equate with 'child'.

If that is the way we let ourselves be seen, that is the way we will be thought of and treated -- like children.

Exactly, lydia221, hence my sarcastic equivalent of a 'dick flick'. Can't you just hear Ben baby introducing High Noon in that manner?

However, it might be a faux hippie child of the 1960s quasi-feminist thing, one of which I was. I really hoped that women would have turned out to be equal to men in 2006, but they haven't.

Oh well.

dolores