Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ERROL FLYNN IN YOUR SHOW OF SHOWS

> Mel wanted to create a comedy, and at the same time, I feel, have an affectionate tribute to the Flynn that I presume he really did meet. And the reality is that the Alan Swann character is only partially like the aging swashbuckler. Brooks' characterization of him (perhaps, as clore suggests, with a bit of John Barrymore thrown in for good measure) presents him as a flamboyant drunk who was also, at heart, a sweet, even sentimental man, softening the portrait, and making it more attractive than the real Flynn was in the '50s.

Mel Brooks was an uncredited executive producer on the film, and it was made by his production company, but he did very little hands-on work on it. He neither wrote, nor directed it. Frankly, MY FAVORITE YEAR is too good to be a Mel Brooks film.

• 8 years later...

My friend film historian Professor Lincoln Hurst who knew Errol Flynn's last girlfriend Bevery Aadland quite well gave me a copy of her VHS tape of Errol on The Martha Raye Show in which among other skits, he appears in a lavish swashbuckling skit - that clearly exhausted Flynn. I think this is the show that Mel Brooks based his story on ... 

39 minutes ago, The Errol Flynn Blog said:

My friend film historian Professor Lincoln Hurst who knew Errol Flynn's last girlfriend Bevery Aadland quite well gave me a copy of her VHS tape of Errol on The Martha Raye Show in which among other skits, he appears in a lavish swashbuckling skit - that clearly exhausted Flynn. I think this is the show that Mel Brooks based his story on ... 

Thanks very much. I strongly suspected that Mel had embellished more than a little but wondered if there was, indeed,  some factual basis to his account.

Since you mentioned Professor Hurst, would you know if anyone may have access to the voluminous materials that he had for his Flynn book, including Errol's Spanish Civil War diary, and if that material will possibly see publication one day?

514EapSbtWL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Related to Flynn:    My December 20th 1948 Times magazine has a very small feature on him (with photo) in their "people" column.    Flynn is the only celebrity mentioned;   clearly his bad boy persona was something folks were interested in in 1948. 

Cinemactor Errol Flynn left Manhattan,  flew off to Havana for some yachting and a "much needed rest".  Errol was tuckered from a tough week in the tabloids after he kicked a cop (Barking Up Wrong Shin headlined in NY Star),  and got fined $50.