Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 more days until Robert O's return! YAY!

filmlover

Robert Osborne's absence just made it clear to me how little difference his presence makes to TCM.

Sure, you couldn't HELP but notice how much better his delivery is compared with all the "fill in guest" hosts. He definitely is well suited to the job- good looking, well spoken, professional & personable.

But Ben Mankiewicz is also good looking, well spoken, professional and personable. If Robert Osborne wanted to retire and Ben Mankiewicz took his place, it would not change my enjoyment of the channel.

Some might call me the wet blanket around these boards, but I'm just being realistic.

For me, they are two entirely different styles. Robert Osborne is the kind of person I would like to have around to talk about movies. With Ben, I feel it is more caustic, more dry humor, and with Robert I feel he is always such a good guy.

Robert Osborne is and always has been the face and heart of TCM.

I am with Tiki Soo, I like them both!

I will say Robert is the FACE of TCM, there is little doubt there. Very, very few of the guest hosts during his absence were frankly very good. I appreciated their making an effort, and many were very congenial, just weren't very good at it, with a few notable exceptions, and those were actually QUITE good and I'd love to see them back. But Robert...man, he's the MAN!

As for Ben, he had to grow on me a little bit, but I do like him as well and look forward to his weekend presentations. I'd have no problem with him taking over when and if RO ever decides to hang it up.

But for now...Tonight is the triumphant return of Robert Osborne, previewing a night filled with William Powell!!! That's the ultimate bombdiggy!!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings