Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name Your Favorite Movie with Physical Comedy

The Egg and I

- The montage where Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray are fixing up their old barn and house. My stomach ached for two whole days afterward from all the excercise it got -- I couln't stop laughing

The Palm Beach Story

- Very nearly the same results! I love the part where Joel McCrea is chasing Claudette as she tries to get to the train station, especially when he leans out of that round window and it bops him on the behind then swings around and bops him on the head...or was it visa-versa?

Also, the part where Claudette is trying to get into the upper berth on the train. And "Captain McGlew". Sooooooooo funny!

definitely agree with Bringing up baby, and arsenic and old lace.Very "physical" --especially the scene when the policemen are fighting with the older brother/mass murderer, while carry grant has all but lost his mind, and given up-- "go on, fight fight..." he mumbles to himself, while sitting on the staircase--and as one of the cops I think is about to throw the phone at someone, he asks him to hold it higher so he can dial. (fantastic movie!)

BUT.

I think I would say You Can't take it with You. (i do love capra)

there is always so much going on, and its the very physical and 3-dimensional acting (in that you have people playing, young ann miller dancing, darts being thrown, cats being mischievous, people setting off fireworks) that makes it work so well as an incredible comedy.

• 2 weeks later...

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore I thought was very funny.

THE COMEDY OF TERRORS starring Vincent Price, Peter Lorre,Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone and a great final cameo by JOE E. BROWN!

ADDED:

THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY and the third sequel, a Hong Kong comedy called THE CRAZY SAFARI with Sammo Hung. The climax of the movie has Nixau The Bushman becoming possessed by the spirit of BRUCE LEE!

I saw "The Comedy of Terrors" for the first time the other day...it's engaging! Loved Rathbone, Price, Karloff and Lorre in it, such seasoned pros! Joe E. Brown's cameo is funny.

I had bought the DVD edition long ago and hadn't seen it...in fact I hadn't high hopes about it and mainly had bought the double-feature DVD, because of "The Raven", in which a very young Jack Nicholson is featured.

"WHAT PLACE....IS THIS?"

I fully agree with you on "COMEDY OF TERRORS" (I have the original 1-sheet, framed up in my office) and its great to see the film being finally hailed as a good belly laugh. A lot of the critics and artsy fan-boys/girls in movie circles have been very negative of this film for over 30 years. Now with the laserdisc/dvd widescreen presentation of this title, mainstream movie buffs, not part of the horror film circles, have now been able to judge this film on its merits.

Great acting and a lot of fun!

Ganavon, you took the words out of my mouth! Those AIP 1960s Horror films are something!

As a child I used to watch a lot of Hammer & AIP vintage (and those William Castle's released by Columbia too) horror movies on Local TV...Now, thanks to the DVD format, I'm rediscovering all of those classics again!

I just watched THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES again with Peter Cook and DUDLEY MOORE and, as some of the jokes fall on gagging bad taste, is still a riot! Another film that has Moore giving us a good laugh were his scenes in BLAME IT ON THE BELLBOY.

JEKYLL AND HYDE TOGETHER AGAIN was also a riot with Mark Blankfield transforming into party animal Mr. Hyde ("Gimmie some chicken sushi!") A little seen Paramount film that is loaded with some great stuff!