Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gagman66

Fragments Special Re-airing Tonight on TCM

happy.gif A quick reminder, The Flicker Alley *FRAGMENTS* special if you missed it in April, is re-airing on TCM Silent Sunday Nights this evening. It is really is excellent. A little bit of Clara Bow and Colleen Moore. Including what still survives of FLAMING YOUTH Plus Fairbanks, rare trailers, John Ford's THE VILLAGE BLACKSMITH, Baby Peggy Montgomery, and surviving footage from Emil Jannings Oscar Winning performance in THE WAY OF ALL FLESH. A great program and not available on DVD at this time. You will want to record this isf you haven't already.

> A great program and not available on DVD at this time.

I can only imagine the issues of getting clearances for all those clips for the purposes of selling a DVD of the documentary. :-(

> Also had a question. These fragments, for example the short clip of Theda Bara as Cleopatra, the clip they showed was about 10 seconds longDoes this compilation show the entire existing fragment, or just a piece of what still exists?

It's probably all that exists. The negative and fine grain master of Bara's *Cleopatra* were destroyed in a vault fire that destroyed many of Fox's silent and early films. The vault fire occurred in 1937. The destruction instituted a change of policy of storing negatives and fine grain masters together.

Also among the films lost in that fire: *Way Down East* as well as films starring William Farnum, Harry Carey and Tom Mix. Also films from companies such as Educational Pictures and World-Wide that Fox sub-distributed were lost.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> > Also had a question. These fragments, for example the short clip of Theda Bara as Cleopatra, the clip they showed was about 10 seconds longDoes this compilation show the entire existing fragment, or just a piece of what still exists?

> It's probably all that exists. The negative and fine grain master of Bara's *Cleopatra* were destroyed in a vault fire that destroyed many of Fox's silent and early films. The vault fire occurred in 1937. The destruction instituted a change of policy of storing negatives and fine grain masters together.

>

> Also among the films lost in that fire: *Way Down East* as well as films starring William Farnum, Harry Carey and Tom Mix. Also films from companies such as Educational Pictures and World-Wide that Fox sub-distributed were lost.

What a shame. Shows us how important the work that the film archivists are doing is. At least we get a glimpse in this documentary. Also three cheers for TCM for the great job in airing it.

This is a fine documentary. Very interesting. I'd like to see other editions of this type of program.

I read Colleen Moore's autobiography many years ago. interesting book. She seemed to be right in the middle of everything that was going on in 1920's Hollywood, so it is pretty educational if you want to learn more about that era of movie making. also, she had an obsession with dollhouses and spent a good chunk of her income on that hobby. Really hope i get to see more of her movies. That Colleen Moore film clip in Fragments made me sad, because now i really want see the rest of that movie.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}rayallen,

>

> Finally Jeff Cordori's book on Colleen Moore is coming out after over a decade of research. Now if we could just get some of her movies on TCM. Like the recently restored HER WILD OAT and LILAC TIME. Or maybe IRENE or TWINKLETOES. Colleen Moore is far and away the biggest Silent Star who's films are never on TCM.

>

> Milton Sills was one of the biggest leading men in Hollywood during the 20's. Considered among the most handsome men in Hollywood, and a Box-office giant. The only film of his TCM airs regularly is THE SEA HAWK (1924). I've seen a few of his movies, but not very many. Like Chaney He died in 1930 after making just one sound film. I wish TCM could show THE BARKER (1928). It was recently restored and Stars Sills, along with Dorothy Mackaill and Betty Compson, who was nominated for an Academy Award as best supporting actress.

>

That's great information, I appreciate it!

Speaking of Colleen Moore and the fragment of "Flaming Youth" shown last night I believe

I had read somewhere that Colleen donated her personal copy of "Flaming Youth" to one of the film archives but they neglected to do anything about the film and either it deteriorated or was victim to a vault fire at the archive. Does anyone else know about this or am I wrong?

Hi midnight,

Whether it's true in that case or not, it's an old story and part of a long running pattern. Moore can be forgiven for not having foreseen the need to require the recipient to ensure restoration, but in this day and age, such old film should never be sold or donated to anybody without a contractual agreement to ensure restoration and preservation.

I have repeatedly advocated congressional action in the cause of preserving very old film, I call it a *"Use it ot lose it" initiative. Restore, release or face tax consequences. If you can't afford to restore or release, then tax incentives to sell or donate to a party who can*.Leaving things the way they are may allow for an occasional restoration here and there, all the while allowing many more titles to rot in limbo. Lot of this stuff isn't "lost", it's just sitting in the hands of owners who don't know what to do with it or don't care. I would change that through law. The "honor system" isn't working.

Two movies I hope somebody find a copy is Cleopatra with Thea Bada and Way of the flesh that final scene in that movie was heart breaking he reunited with his now successful son turn musician walks away

I saw Fragments last night and like know what was the other fragmented movies before The Way of All Flesh? I wrote down every title mentioned after that. I hope a copy of the Great Gatsby was found in the future when I saw that trailer. That movie was made a year or two after Fitzgerald's publication of the book.

I just heard a preview announcement on TCM of an upcoming 24 hour marathon of rare restored films from the *George Eastman House* archive. I didn't catch the broadcast date, maybe someone could fill us in as to when? If you liked the "Fragments" show, you'll really like the Eastman presentation!

This is the kind of stuff that makes me love TCM, and feel that it is staying the course in it's mission and commitment to classic film!

Thanks for the tip. I tried Google:

A Tribute to the George Eastman House - 12/14

This latest installment in a series of TCM tributes to the great American film archives focuses on the Motion Picture Collection at George Eastman House, one of the major moving-image archives in the U.S. The Collection, begun in 1949, includes holdings of more than 25,000 titles along with some 3 million film-related artifacts.

In prime-time screenings during our tribute, Jared Case, Head of Cataloging and Access in the Motion Picture Department of Eastman House, will join TCM host Robert Osborne in introducing and discussing the selected films. Among the titles are several TCM premieres including the allegorical war drama Fear and Desire (1953), which marked director Stanley Kubrick's feature-film debut.

Other TCM premieres include such rarities as Huckleberry Finn (1920), Roaring Rails (1924), Goldstein (1965, pictured), A Page of Madness (1926) and Delicious (1931). Also showing is the Ava Gardner-James Mason film Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951) in a Technicolor restoration that was co-presented by the Eastman House.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/453452%7C0/A-Tribute-to-the-George-Eastman-House-12-14.html

The schedule is below. Enjoy!

- Tim Wagner

6:15 AM The Blue Bird (1918)

7:45 AM The Valiant (1929)

9:00 AM The Spanish Earth (1937)

10:00 AM The Tresspasser (1929)

11:45 AM The Moon and Sixpence (1942)

1:30 PM The Lottery Bride (1930)

3:00 PM A Page of Madness (1926)

4:30 PM Delicious (1931)

6:30 PM Payment Deferred (1932)

8:00 PM Fear and Desire (1953)

9:15 PM Huckleberry Finn (1920)

11:00 PM Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951)

1:15 AM Roaring Rails (1924)

2:45 AM The World Moves On (1934)

4:45 AM Goldstein (1965)

http://theatrehistoricalsociety.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/wed-dec-14-tcm-tribute-to-george-eastman-house/