Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Debra Paget...Forgotten.

Count me in. I was a big fan of hers. I remember the first time I saw her, it was in "Broken Arrow" as the Indian girl "Sonseeahray" who marries James Stewart. . She was very busy in the 50's and early 60's. She was married briefly to director Budd Boetticher {her second marriage} and her third ended in divorce also, but she never returned to acting, a shame......

The "Princess of The Nile" forgotten? Never! I think I first saw her in "Belles On Their Toes" with Jeanne Crain and Jeffrey Hunter. She costarred with Hunter in "Princess" and together they looked like the two most beautiful people in Hollywood, or at least in B pictures. But I think her acting soulmate was John Derek in "The Ten Commandments". They seemed like two people who really belonged together, at least onscreen.

{font:Arial}She is truly, one of the most beautiful ladies to ever grace the silver screen of the 1950’s. Debra did enjoy a bit of good attention, upon signing a solid contract with 20th Century-Fox. Oddly, she was never really given that big break to major stardom, in the sense of being able to become a top-billed actress to a major motion picture. At best, Debra was regularly placed as a co-star throughout her career in {font}{font:Arial}Hollywood{font}{font:Arial}. The only somewhat big film that she presumably carried as a star was “Princess of the {font}{font:Arial}Nile{font}{font:Arial}.” The film has since acquired something of a cult following, especially surrounding Debra, due in large part to the skimpy outfits she wears. Interestingly enough, Debra would be loaned out to other studios, enjoying a flexibility that most other actresses at the time didn’t achieve. This situation led to perhaps her most famous moiton picture role of the delicate "water-girl" maiden "Lilia" in the epic "The Ten Commandments." {font}

{font:Arial}It became obvious Debra being so beautiful and placed under the publicity spotlight, her lovely face would grace the covers of the tabloids. At the beginning of her career for 20th Century-Fox, she was paired off with many a new, up and coming actor. Notable was Robert Wagner, whom she made several films together and then the rather mysterious and virtually forgotten Richard Allan. Debra would spend a lot of time, making the many rounds of promotional appearances, especially across the country. She was from 1952 to 1959, a fan-magazine favorite. However, her career under the spotlight, took a turn for the bizarre, when her first marriage to actor {font}{font:Arial}David Street{font}{font:Arial}, lasted only four months. Then, if that wasn’t enough for the fans to swallow, in 1960, Debra’s marriage to the celebrated director Budd Boetticher, lasted a merge 22 days! This has got to be on record, one of the shortest of celebrity marriages . . . Especially, if you think about the way things have unfolded lately with a recent celebrity marriage that’s been in the news!{font}

{font:Arial}Despite whatever setbacks or lack of quality there might have been to Debra’s motion picture career, she somehow survived the stress of her personal life, continuing on to later work in television and B-movies. During the 1960’s, Debra was actually a big star in {font}{font:Arial}Europe{font}{font:Arial}, where for a time she made a series of those “sword and sandal” epics. In the meantime, it would be producer/director Roger Corman who cut her a good break, when she made two popular horror films, “Tales of Terror” and “The Haunted Palace.” Even though her last series of films were considered low-budget by most standards, Debra managed herself well enough, until she gave it all up by the end of the decade.{font}

{font:Arial}In case you might be interested to know what has become of Debra, well she is of course very much alive and not exactly out from under the spotlight. After her third marriage to billionaire oilman Kai-Shek ended in divorce, Debra turned to religion, becoming an active celebrity Christian. For a period of time, she had her own television program on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. It was basically a talk-show that centered on religious issues of faith and support of Christian charities. Debra hasn’t really retired, as she continues to make an occasional appearance on Christian religious programs across the country. Today, she lives content at her tranquil home in {font}{font:Arial}Huston{font}{font:Arial}, {font}{font:Arial}Texas{font}{font:Arial}. If anyone would like, you can contact Debra. She gladly receives fan mail and tries to respond to as many fans as possible. She might be gone from the screen, but she isn’t so forgotten. {font}

Thank you, Movie Professor, for all that information on one of my favorites.

Such a beautiful woman and very talented. She was actually quite a good dancer, too. I did manage to see her Christian TV program a couple of times, and she still was very beautiful. And there's no doubt that many of her films were really very entertaining. About the only time I didn't care for her appearance was in "The River's Edge", where she was a redhead. It wasn't quite the same.

Terrence.

No one who saw her dance in Lang's THE INDIAN TOMB is likely to forget her. The dance starts about three minutes into the clip:

Not only was Debra incredibly beautiful, but she was also a knockout with her figure. Debra also was the main attaction in the 1951 remake of BIRD OF PARADISE. Probably one of her best roles while at 20th, in an A movie that was not a programmer, was in STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER, where she was second billed to Clifton Webb. She had a hard time breaking through at the studio, what with all the beautiful ingenues there in the early 50s, from top ranked Jeanne Crain and June Haver, through the popular Jean Peters and Mitzi Gaynor, to the likes of Barbara Bates, Constance Smith, Helen Westcott, etc. Then along comes Marilyn Monroe, and she quickly eclipsed them all in popularity and press coverage.

I thought it was humorous that on the audio commentary for "The Ten Comandments" that the commentator mentioned that director Cecil B. DeMille made it a point not to show Debra Paget's feet because he thought they were too big!

I think Debra Paget was hot in 1956 so I wouldn't have a problem with her feet. Big or small.

Clore, I must confess that I've never heard of this movie. And here I thought that I knew all of her films.

AIP butchered it when they released it as JOURNEY TO THE LOST CITY. It was originally a two-part German film and it is on DVD in that form.