Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Merry Christmas Scenes

casablancalover

casablancalover, I never realized it before...*Meet John Doe* is a Christmas movie, and should be shown at Christmas time along with all the other Christmas movies. Babs' speech to him about how the first John Doe was born 2,000 years ago is about as Christmassy as you can get.

Here is a clip from an undeservedly obscure film from 1985, *One Magic Christmas*. It features the also undeservedly under-recognized Mary Steenbergen, and Harry Dean Staunton ( as an angel.) I highly recommend it. This youtube clip is 9 minutes long, but 3 of those minutes are credits. So enjoy 6 minutes of true Christmas spirit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F5zHYhebYI&feature=related

In *The Thin Man* (1934) he is on the sofa using his Christmas gift of a BB gun to shoot tree ornaments.

In *Bell, Book and Candle* (1958) they celebrate by going to a Bongo club and return home to open their presents.

http://youtu.be/vFyb0TnBwdM

I love their Christmas tree! It is so very elegant.

*The Insects' Christmas* (1913) is a true classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSTnc1VPN3E&feature=colike

These are great! Thank you.

Not so Merry Christmas scene here. One I hope you all avoid this Christmas..

From The Apartment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CufD9Tu1uLE

There is an ad at the beginning, but it doesn't last too long.

I am posting some Christmas office parties later.

Edited by: casablancalover on Dec 10, 2011 7:44 PM

All your Christmas scene links are original and very enjoyable.

Did anyone get a chance to view the *One Magic Christmas* link I posted here? It's a lovely little film, very low-key, very gentle and Christmassy. I'm wondering if there's no interest in it because it's a Canadian movie, and perhaps is not very well-known in the States.It would be great if TCM could show it.

One Magic Christmas was just fairly popular here too, Jan. It's interesting that the theme of the story of the family financially struggling would really resonant with audiences now. Unfortunately and ironically, it's Disney, so it didn't get the play it could have on the television following it's theatrical release, and it's Theater's numbers were 13M in it's release. I saw A Christmas Story in the theater when it first came out, and that movie on it's first release didn't garner even 20M. But it had the blessing of being free of the Disney Execs deciding what we can see in video and on the TV. Which movie do people know better?

I happen to like that Harry Dean Stanton is an angel in the story. A long time ago, around Lent, a pastor at my church sermonized about the too romanticized Jesus (Jeffrey Hunter) and the too human Jesus (Willem DeFoe). The gist of it was that God reaches us through the manner we can best absorb His grace. The Pastor was a big movie fan (lover of the art of film) so I think he would have liked the Stanton's angel too.

Edited by: casablancalover on Dec 12, 2011 8:24 AM, for she remembered the Pastor's remarks about who was the better Judas.. Too long a story to share here..

I am glad you posted it, Fred. I wanted to save it for someone else to do. It is a wonderful coda to George's discovery of his life isn't it?

I can't help but to think by Spring, George and Mary finally take that trip they started on before the run on the building and loan.

I am on the search for a cartoon I fell in love with as a little girl..

Edited by: casablancalover on Dec 13, 2011 3:16 PM

I've just discovered your thread here, Charlotte. I like it.

BUT, once again, I have to say you've gone and done it again, Lady! Yep! You've made me tear up a bit...again!

Yep, not only with that scene you linked to *The Apartment*, where that look of disappointment on Lemmon's face is perfectly played when he discovers the broken mirror in Fran's compact case, but especially that final scene in *To Each His Own* where John Lund finally figures out that Olivia de Havilland is his mother.

That films has always gotten to me since the first time I caught it on TV as a teenager back in the mid-1960s, because, as maybe you might have seen me mention around here before, I was also adopted as an infant, and for many years had wondered what my biological mother was like, and this even though my adoptive parents were first rate in every regard.

And so, this film has always had a rather personal connection to me.

Btw, if you have seen my mention of "my story" , then you might also remember that just about 5 years ago, and a couple years after the passing of both my parents, I was "reunited" with my Canadian birth mother by means of the internet. And I must say, it's been as joyous a reunion as was the Lund/de Havilland scene in that movie.

Merry Christmas,

Dwight

Oh, Dwight, I hope it was a happy tear. They are touching scenes for me too.

This scene starts at the 3:30 and ends at 8:00 mark.. Now that I am divorced and alone in a new part of country, this scene touches me and breaks my heart at the same time.

While You Were Sleeping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU8Nyg75PVE

The merriest of Christmas to you..

Edited by: casablancalover on Dec 22, 2011 11:58 PM

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> Now that I am divorced and alone in a new part of country, this scene touches me and breaks my heart at the same time.

I believe this time of year is hardest for people who have had their life tossed into the air. This was my first St. Nicholas Day and it will be my first New Year's Day and my first Christmas without gifts from my mother. The last two years she sent gifts to Capuchin to sneakily add to what he was giving me. I believe I was coping well with her passing until this season came.

I believe the best we can do is accept it and we must remember that we have friends only a few electrons away who can ease the loss.

Sad Christmas Eve is an old song about not being with loved ones during Christmas. I believe you may find it soothing and beautiful even although you do not understand the words:

SansFin-

Thank you for your sensitive and kind thoughts. Both of my parents have passed on to spiritual realm, so I can empathize with this Holiday you're feeling too. Some traditions we discard, some traditions leave us, but Hopefully, each year we create and recreate our lives filling in with new traditions. Since writing, two little miraculous things happened..

My newest neighbor is a single fellow here too and has invited me next door on Christmas Day. I will bring some Egg Bake (I will post to the TCM family recipes) and hot coffee, maybe even Swedish-style: cooked stovetop with egg to contain the grinds. Very smooth.

I am also invited to a younger girlfriend's dinner on Christmas Day. Her family traditions are Cuban/Puerto Rican and she will be having Pork w/red beans and rice!! This is the best Pork dish I have ever tasted! It will be without children, so it will not leave me too much in the emotional dumper..

Some new perspectives, and maybe some new traditions; may your Christmas feel warmth and light. May you be the light in someone else's eyes and they feel your warmth too.

Edited by: casablancalover on Dec 23, 2011 8:19 AM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings