Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Clark & McCullough or Wheeler & Woolsey : Which is more Pre Code?

HomesoulM

• 1 year later...

I think Olsen & Johnson were a bit more....

Clark & McCullough/Wheeler & Woosley/Ritz Brothers were in all in about the same ballpark I think.

Clark & McCullough were in a 1929 Gershwin stage revue & did a number from the show in a Fox Movietone Newsreel;

"I left My Madamessille in New Rochell/So What-the-Hell?" That was pushing it a bit....but it was written by Gershwin.

Whereas Clark & McCullough did shorts, Wheeler & Woosley made features. I do not know how much input to the comedy they had, I assume they were given a script & performed it as such. I enjoy them, but in some films more than others.

Bobby Clark became interested in performing & restoring "lost" anceint greek comedies on stage after McCullough went nuts & killed himself in a barber's shop. Clark also had a bit part in 1938's "Goldwyn Follies" but his painted on glasses were replaced by real ones...and it just wasn't the same. I recently saw an old episode of Colgate Comedy Hour on TV & it advertised that in 2 weeks Bobby Clark was scheduled to appear, so perhaps he did some early TV too!

Gee, I've never even heard of Clark & McCullough! How'd that happen? Someone at TCM ought to dig up the shorts if they can get their hands on them.

several of there shorts are on you tube, the one I quickly checked out was not in the greatest shape, but then again, they are clearly quite rare!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ClarkandMcCullough&oq=ClarkandMcCullough&gs_l=youtube-reduced.12..0.192188.192188.0.193197.1.1.0.0.0.0.165.165.0j1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.3nJCeoxQVFA

Archived