Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 new pre-codes on dvd this week

racketbuster

i think it is worth mentioning here that the Warner Archive is releasing a whole bunch of pre-Code era movies on DVD tomorrow (all in double-disc packages), including:

*Havana Widows* (Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell 1933)
*I've Got Your Number* (Pat O'Brien, Joan Blondell 1934)
*The Office Wife* (Dorothy Mackaill, Joan Blondell 1930)
*Party Husband* (Dorothy Mackaill, James Rennie 1931)
*The Naughty Flirt* (Alice White, Myrna Loy 1931)
*Loose Ankles* (Loretta Young, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, 1930)
*Road to Paradise* (Loretta Young, Jack Mulhall 1930)
*Week-end Marriage* (Loretta Young, Norman Foster 1932)
*The Right of Way* (Loretta Young, Conrad Nagel 1931)
*The Truth About Youth* (Loretta Young, Myrna Loy 1930)

yeah, it's too bad they don't qualify for the current $10 sale. Even being 2 movies for the price of one, i'm still too much of a cheapskate to pay full price. but the moment they get marked down to $13.95, i'll be all over the Joan Blondell ones (which i already have on old worn-out VHS tapes, but it would be really nice to finally have them on DVD). and i need that Alice White movie too.

any early-Loretta Young aficionados want to clue me in to which of the five young Young movies are most essential? I thought i'd seen a lot of her early movies, but none of these are ringing a bell. i'll probably end up getting *Loose Ankles* at least, since it is paired with *The Naughty Flirt*. Hard to go wrong with Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

any early-Loretta Young aficionados want to clue me in to which of the five young Young movies are most essential? I thought i'd seen a lot of her early movies, but none of these are ringing a bell. i'll probably end up getting *Loose Ankles *at least, since it is paired with *The Naughty Flirt*. Hard to go wrong with Douglas Fairbanks Jr.

I see that in "Road To Paradise," she plays twin roles -- a girl who falls in with gangsters and a wealthy socialite. Since I've never seen the film, I don't know if there are any scenes featuring both Lorettas.

Just did an entry on these five two-packs: http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/469215.html

Racketbuster, all of those Loretta flix are good, but I think the set you are eyeing is probably the one I'd go for first as well.

I agree, even though 10 bucks a flick isn't bad, they have been having so many sales lately, I think my finances are going to require me to wait it out a little bit to see if they drop with a discount. I didn't wait on a few of the other sets I purchased earlier this year, and then they came way down in price with all these sales! I'm jonesing for them though!!

> I see that in "Road To Paradise," she plays twin roles -- a girl who falls in with gangsters and a wealthy socialite. Since I've never seen the film, I don't know if there are any scenes featuring both Lorettas.

I just watched the sample segment of that one, and yes they are on screen at the same time. the funny thing is, i can't figure out how they did it! Some scene clips of the two Lorettas look like could have been achieved by having a movie screen projection as a background, but other clips look too seamless to be done that way. most could not have been splitscreen either, because the male actor in between them crosses the "line". hmmm. Loretta lookalike (her sister?) in the background shots? i'll have to get the movie just so i can figure out all the special effects.

> {quote:title=racketbuster wrote:}{quote}

> > I see that in "Road To Paradise," she plays twin roles -- a girl who falls in with gangsters and a wealthy socialite. Since I've never seen the film, I don't know if there are any scenes featuring both Lorettas.

> I just watched the sample segment of that one, and yes they are on screen at the same time. the funny thing is, i can't figure out how they did it! Some scene clips of the two Lorettas look like could have been achieved by having a movie screen projection as a background, but other clips look too seamless to be done that way. most could not have been splitscreen either, because the male actor in between them crosses the "line". hmmm. Loretta lookalike (her sister?) in the background shots? i'll have to get the movie just so i can figure out all the special effects.

I haven't seen the Road To Paradise clip, but it's probably the same technique that was done in the 1932 Paramount film Strangers In Love, where Fredric March gets in a fight with himself.

Archived