• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
duahcimat

Miss TCM remembers

> Anyone else miss this?

Has it started running yet?

It usually starts running the middle of the month.

Just saw the end of year 2011 TCM Remembers tonight. Nice job as usual. Can't quite put my finger on the female vocalist and didn't write down the lyrics to search, but we'll know soon enough.

This is a ghoulish rumination, but every year I see this retrospective, I am astonished at how many familiar and great stars have died. As it plays out, there are continual "oh, yes!", and "her, too!" moments. I didn't see the whole tribute, but just off-the-cuff there was Peter Falk, Kenneth Mars, Dana Wynter, Susannah York, Cliff Robertson, and, of course, Elizabeth Taylor. With so many dying, it's surprising anyone recognizable is left.

Tangentially, Kenneth Mars' death makes me wonder how many of the main actors who were in Young Frankenstein are still alive? Gene Wilder and Teri Garr? Yes?

> {quote:title=HenryF5400 wrote:

> }{quote}Just saw the end of year 2011 TCM Remembers tonight. Nice job as usual.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hope they didn't forget Barbara Kent.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=HenryF5400 wrote:

> > }{quote}Just saw the end of year 2011 TCM Remembers tonight. Nice job as usual.

> I haven't seen it yet, but I hope they didn't forget Barbara Kent.

They didn't forget her! ;)

I wish they would have a video archive of these on the site - the yearly tributes, as well as the star tributes.

> Tangentially, Kenneth Mars' death makes me wonder how many of the main actors who were in Young Frankenstein are still alive? Gene Wilder and Teri Garr? Yes?

And Cloris Leachman (now in her mid-80's); all the other featured players are dead (Gene Hackman, who played the Blind Man, uncredited, notwithstanding).

Child (and teen) actress Susan Gordon passed away just this past Sunday, Dec. 11, too late to be included in this year's "TCM Remembers".
Can she be edited in and be given the tribute she deserves? I hope someone at TCM with the power to make such a decision will see this and get on it as soon as possible.

After seeing TCM Remembers a couple of times, I realized that they had omitted songwriter/arranger Hugh Martin, who died in March 2011.

As the (co)-writer of the songs in one of the most beloved movie musicals of all time -- MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS -- he certainly deserves inclusion in the annual remembrance on that basis alone. (He also did many other notable things in the show business world.)

Not that I have anything against any of the people who are included, but I have to say that some of them are pretty minor figures in the history of movies. I would not describe Hugh Martin that way. While he wasn't not quite up to the level of songwriters like Irving Berlin or the Gershwins, Mr. Martin did create some of the music that almost every classic film fan knows and loves. He should have been featured.

Every time that I see the subject line of this thread in with all of the others on the forum page, I have to remind myself that there is no beauty contest for "Miss TCM" and thus the thread is not about some former winner recalling her moment of triumph.

Love the TCM Remembers, as always done wonderfully. I've watched it several times now, and pretty sure Karl Slover was missing. He was one of the last muchkins in The Wizard of Oz. (only 3 remain now I believe) He passed on November 15 of this year. Was watching The Wizard of Oz tonight with my grandsons when it dawned on me I didn't remember seeing him. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by: Sindilouwho on Dec 18, 2011 3:16 AM

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}This is a ghoulish rumination, but every year I see this retrospective, I am astonished at how many familiar and great stars have died. As it plays out, there are continual "oh, yes!", and "her, too!" moments. I didn't see the whole tribute, but just off-the-cuff there was Peter Falk, Kenneth Mars, Dana Wynter, Susannah York, Cliff Robertson, and, of course, Elizabeth Taylor. With so many dying, it's surprising anyone recognizable is left.

>

> Tangentially, Kenneth Mars' death makes me wonder how many of the main actors who were in Young Frankenstein are still alive? Gene Wilder and Teri Garr? Yes?

I get mad/sad when I see names I didn't know had died. Dana Wynter? Susannah York? Did they die on weekends, or late Friday night, never to get mentioned except buried in a newspaper? Just looked them up, they died "early" in the year....Michael Sarrazin (Man, even he was 70!) didn't hear about him dying either. Was Frances Bay mentioned? A face, even if you don't know the name (even though 92, didn't start in films til 1978!)

This is a beautifully done memorial to so many who passed away this year. Whoever put this TCM Remembers together did a fantastic job and should be commended. Watching this and seeing all these actors who have passed reminds me how precious life is, and how wonderful it is to be alive.

A very sweet and sad memorial. Thank you TCM.

:_|

I agree -- excellent job. Every year choices have to be made -- in four minutes they simply cannot include everyone who was in or contributed to a motion picture. There has been at least one instance when a particularly significant person died and they added him after that year's In Memoriam production first aired, but I can see that in general they would not do this.

I thought this year's ending, with the "TCM Remembers" title appearing again to delay one's expectation ("Where's Liz?"), was particularly well done.

Edited by: NewYorkGuy on Dec 21, 2011 10:23 AM

Edited by: NewYorkGuy on Dec 21, 2011 10:24 AM

The Kenneth Mars clip was from The Producers which has even fewer of its cast still alive than Young Frankenstein.

I don't know how closely TCM monitors this forum for member requests, but I too would very much appreciate it if TCM made the "TCM Remembers" presentations available in the archives, for each year that they've done it. I'm very sentimental, and it is almost impossible for me to get through viewing those precious 4-5 minutes without getting a little weepy.

I think that TCM does a better job of this than the MPAA's "In Memorium" segment during the Academy Awards, but both TCM and the MPAA do share one aspect in their respectvie tributes, and that is saving the biggest star's tribute for last. It is such a beautiful, bittersweet moment, and the work that the TCM and MPAA folks do in putting these together is first-rate and deserves to be seen and shared over and over again.

I'd like to appeal to the powers-that-be at TCM to please make these tributes available to us fans for repeat viewing. I'm sure many of us would be most grateful if they did.