Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Star Photo ID?

Tikisoo

Having grown up in Rochester I'm just nutty about old b&w photography. Last Sunday, I scored big time finding some really nice old sepia Hollywood photos...first attracted by a picture of a guy on a rearing horse (Gene Raymond) I picked up two really nice 8x10 Bogarts and a nice Warren William with Asta (the dog) although it doesn't really look like WW it's marked on the back.

Anyway, here's one I bought because I loved the costume, figuring this gal was in the type of films I like. Just don't know the girl....anyone?

unknown.jpg

Very Identifiable Warren William:

WWilliam.jpg

Great Pola Negri:

Pola.jpg

I thought the "giveaway" was the beauty mark on her chin, but guess that's a spot on the photo. The real "giveaway" would be her figure-teeny tiny body, no Marlene Deitrich curves.

She does photograph resembling Deitrich, look at this photo of Nixon:

thumbnail.aspx?q=1450715984431&id=fbbdca

But this photo of Nixon looks like the girl in my picture:

thumbnail.aspx?q=1417118685660&id=553a83

Now the only thing left is to figure out what movie she may have worn that crazy outfit in. If she was a dancer, then I'd be certain it was her. In many older photos she's brunette!

>It looks sailorish. Is there anything that would indicate that it did come from a movie?

Well no, but it certainly is a "dancing" costume.

The back has a stamp that says it's from 1934. Looking at Nixon's films from that year on IMDB:

Sweepstakes Annie

By Your Leave

Embarrassing Moments

Once to Every Bachelor

We're Rich Again

Strictly Dynamite

The Line Up

..only Strictly Dynamite sounds like a musical by the title.

And the year before, her roles were as miniscule as

"telephone operator".

Any guesses?

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> .....Now the only thing left is to figure out what movie she may have worn that crazy outfit in. If she was a dancer, then I'd be certain it was her. In many older photos she's brunette!

So.....what, no prize for being the first to correctly identify her?

And, thanks for the clue about the date 1934. That should be helpful in identifying the film (hopefully!)

YouTube has a few clips of Strictly Dynamite (just search the title), even one with her in it. But it looks doubtful she would appear in a musical number, or that the movie would have a number with costumes like that in it, as it deals with radio shows. You sure it isn't a stock photo? She must have posed for many in a variety of costumes to show her possibilities.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings