Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove to--Week of Dec 19th!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to groove to--week of Dec 19th!!

If you are a fan of Cary Grant, you will be grooving and smoothing on Monday, when there will be a day-long lineup of his flix, including one of my all-time faves, TOPPER (1937) with the luscious Constance Bennet and Roland Young!

Tuesday daytime is devoted to Irene Dunne with a batch of her groovin' pre-codes!!! It kicks off with the 1931 CIMARRON, also featuring Richard Dix!! Followed by one of my faves, THIRTEEN WOMEN (1932), a bizaree, eerie, mysterious flick, featuring an early Myrna Loy in one of her early type of character roles, my main man Ricardo Cortez, and Peg Enwhistle, who, just days after completing shooting on this flick, committed suicide by jumping off the "H" in the Hollywoodland sign! Followed by the 1933 ANN VICKERS, with Walter Huston and Conrad Nagel!! Then the 1933 NO OTHER WOMAN, with tough character Charles Bickford and the lovely Gwili Andre! My main man Lionel Atwill shows up next in THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (1934), along with John Boles! And the early 30's portion of Irene's day wraps up with STINGAREE, once again with Richard Dix, and Mary Boland!! Groovy day!!

Tuesday night, TCM takes us Christmas shopping, kicking it off with a flick I've not seen before, GOOD SAM (1948), with Coop, the lovely Ann Sheridan, Edmund Lowe, and Ruth Roman!! Looking forward to that! Also along for the shopping spree is HOLIDAY AFFAIR (1950), with Mitch and Janet Leigh, BACHELOR MOTHER (1939) with Ginger Rogers, David Niven and Charles Coburn, and BUNDLE OF JOY (1956) with Eddie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds and Adolphe Menjou!!

If you dig on the gorgeous Ruth Roman, you'll be digging hard with the Thursday daytime lineup, where Ruth is grooving with Robert Stack and the sexy drop dead gorgeous Virginia Mayo in GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING (1956), then LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE (1951) with Richard Todd and Mercedes McCambridge!! The Hitch classic, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951) is in the lineup, along with Coop and Ruth in DALLAS (1950)!!

Thursday nights are the grooviest in December with William Powell doing the honors, this time the entire 6 film "Thin Man" series!! The best, of course, is the first, from 1934, the only one in the bunch that is pre-code, with the drinks really flowing, and a pace that is very cool! Myrna Loy of course is Powell's lovely wife, and this one features Maureen O'Sullivan, Nat Pendleton, Porter Hall, Harold Huber and my main man Edward Brophy! Always great supporting casts in this series, with the 1936 AFTER THE THIN MAN featuring a young Jimmy Stewart, Sam Levene, Penny Singleton, my main man George Zucco, and Paul Fix!! ANOTHER THIN MAN was released in 1939, and it rounds out the first half of the series, which many feel was the best of the best, this one with Virginia Grey, Otto Kruger, C. Aubrey Smith, Nat Pendleton, Tom Neal, and Sheldon Leonard!! William and Myrna show that they can groove pretty hard in the 40's too, with the first of that decade's flick, SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN (1941) rocking with Donna Reed, Sam Levene, Barry Nelson, and Henry O'Neill!! Followed by the 1945 THE THIN MAN GOES HOME, probably the tamest of the series, but still grooving with Lucile Watson, Gloria DeHaven, Helen Vinson, Leon Ames, my main man Edward Brophy, and Lloyd Corrigan!! And the Thin Man series wraps up in jazz style with the 1947 SONG OF THE THIN MAN, featuring Keenan Wynn, Dean Stockwell, Patricia Morison, Leon Ames, Gloria Grahame, Jayne Meadows, and Ralph Morgan!! Wow, love mysteries, and I love this series, can't wait to just relish all of this, particularly as I have on Friday, I can just stay up all night grooving with Nick and Nora!!!

And speaking of Friday, we're grooving hard to ALIAS BOSTON **** (1942), one of a series of flix with this character, starring Chester Morris, Adele Mara and Richard Lane!! Followed by the sentimental BEYOND TOMORROW (1940), with C. Aubrey Smith, Harry Carey, Charles Winninger, Richard Carlson, Jean Parker, and Maria Ouspenskaya! Next up a rare noir/crime flick with William Bendix, Dennis O'Keefe and Barbara Britton in the 1949 COVER-UP!!! Also showing up in Friday's groovy lineup is the 1948 version of 3 GODFATHERS, this one with the Duke himself, and my sentimental favorite version of the Dickens classic, the 1938 A CHRISTMAS CAROL!!

Christmas noir is on tap on Friday night, and wow, it sizzles with BACKFIRE (1950), featuring Edmond O'Brien, the sexy Virginia Mayo, Dane Clark, and Ed Begley!!! Followed by LADY IN THE LAKE (1947) with Robert Montgomery, who also directs, Audrey Totter, and Lloyd Nolan! And the one I'm really looking forward to, only because it's been a while since it's been screened, MURDER MY SWEET (1944), with the newly toughened-up, former crooner boy, Dick Powell in the lead, along with the sultry Claire Trevor, the lovely Anne Shirley, Otto Kruger, and the hulking Mike Mazurski!! Awesome!!

And this weekend being the holiday time, holiday theme flix take over the TCM landscape, with gems such as LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY (1938), IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE (1947), MEET JOHN DOE (1941), MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (1947), THE BISHOP'S WIFE (1947) and TENTH AVENUE ANGEL (1948) all showing up throughout the day and night on Christmas Eve (Saturday), and the religious-themed epics on Sunday, including BEN-HUR (1959), THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (1965), and KING OF KINGS (1961) screening on Christmas Day (Sunday). Sunday night is really groovy though, with GOING MY WAY (1944), with Bing, Barry Fitzgerald, and Frank McHugh!! Followed by the terribly sad MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW (1937), starring Victor Moore, Beulah Bondi, and Fay Bainter! After that flick, which though a downer is definitely worth seeing if you haven't, we will really need a good laugh, and TCM supplies the chuckles with the Marx Bros showing up in DUCK SOUP (1933)!!! Followed by more laughter with Harold Lloyd in THE MILKY WAY (1936), also featuring Adolphe Menjou, and a trio of three of the hottest dames of the 30s: Veree Teasdale, Helen Mack, and Dorothy Wilson!! Hotcha!! And rounding out the night, 2 romantic faves, LOVE AFFAIR (1939) with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne, followed by ONCE UPON A HONEYMOON (1942) with Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers and Walter Slezak!! Dig it!!!

Thank you for the awesome and very groovy flix, TCM!!!

Your insights and recommendations are always wonderful! I thank you for doing this each week.

I very much like *Walk, Don't Run* (1966) which is airing on Monday. It is wonderful to see Cary Grant charming at any age.

On Monday evening is *Hopscotch* (1980). I believe the lead role may have been written for Walter Matthau exclusively as he fits it so well. There is great depth to him and yet he has no problem doing silly things. I find his chemistry with Glenda Jackson superb as they had their intense fling many years ago and are now comfortable with each other. One can not expect fireworks from such people. It is much more important that they understand and really, really like each other. They show that very well.

*Thirteen Women* (1932) is indeed eerie. It is the first movie starring Myrna Loy which I saw. I was skeptical when I heard she had done comedies. :)

Did you intend to pass on Wednesday?

I wish to see *Spirits of the Dead* (1969) as it has Vincent Price and he is always worth watching.

*Alias Boston ***** (1942) is one of the more interesting ones in the series.

Is this not the same *A Christmas Carol* (1938) which aired a few days ago?

*Lady in the Lake* (1947) and *Murder, My Sweet* (1944) are both on my schedule. I like the unusual viewpoint of the former. I believe I remember the latter has one of my favorite lines in a movie: "They don't make that kind of time in watches."

I found *The Green Pastures* (1936) very pleasant. It shows well how people understand religion in the framework of their lives. It also shows spirituality as a thing with which you can be comfortable and it need not be rigid and severe as many religions' strictures make it.

>Followed by one of my faves, THIRTEEN WOMEN (1932), a bizaree, eerie, mysterious flick

I love when you describe what you like about a movie...it helps persuade me to watch it if I've never heard of it before...

>Peg Enwhistle, who, just days after completing shooting on this flick, committed suicide by jumping off the "H" in the Hollywoodland sign!

Interesting trivia too!

>Tuesday night, TCM takes us Christmas shopping, kicking it off with a flick I've not seen before, GOOD SAM (1948), with Coop, the lovely Ann Sheridan, Edmund Lowe, and Ruth Roman!! Looking forward to that!

Me too! I have the half sheet bought on the strength of the leads. Hope Sheridan is nicer than in The Man Who Came To Dinner. Will the poster be worthy of framing & displaying? Hope so.

In that same "lot" purchase, I bought the half sheet for Task Force, also with Coop. It showed last week, but I had a DVR malfunction-still never seen this film!

I'm going to record Happened on 5th Ave because I love it & my Mom's never seen it. I think it's an adorable film, perfect for Christmas.

Thanks mark!

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> Did you intend to pass on Wednesday?

Wednesday is Jane Fonda day, so I can see how our groovin' friend Mark might have said "Uggh!" and taken a pass on it. I do want to recommend "Walk on the Wild Side" that plays that day, though. Its DVD release is out of print and is in the hands of scalpers at scalper prices.

The reason to watch this is not Jane Fonda, instead it's Barbara Stanwyck who steals the show as a New Orleans madame in love with one of her girls played by Capucine. The third corner of this triangle is played by Lawrence Harvey who tracks down his lost love - Capucine - to Stanwyck's brothel.

Stanwyck's character is an interesting one. She has a husband who has lost both legs, and the film - and the husband - try to insinuate that she was in love with him up to that point and the loss of his legs is what changed her love to beholden disgust and allowed her to fall in love with a woman. The production code wasn't completely dead at this point so maybe the film had to do this.

At any rate, I highly recommend it. If you're not at home Wednesday and you have a recorder, then record it for later viewing. It's not Christmas-like at all but it is essential Stanwyck.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > Did you intend to pass on Wednesday?

> Wednesday is Jane Fonda day, so I can see how our groovin' friend Mark might have said "Uggh!" and taken a pass on it.

I can understand very well that sentiment.

I would watch *California Suite* (1978) for the segment with Walter Matthau.

I thank you the recommendation of *Walk on the Wild Side* (1962). The description did not make it sound appealing and the director and cast did not jump out at me so I was going to pass on it. Your description makes it sound very interesting.

Wednesday evening's movies are all very good standards.

*The Chapman Report* is not often shown. I'm perhaps most interested in it for Claire Bloom. With the subject, could this be a Bad Movie We Love?

*Walk on the Wild Side* has some bizarre casting: the budding great American novelist is played by Laurence Harvey; his old girlfriend is played by a Frenchwoman, Capucine; Jane Fonda is poor white trash; and Anne Baxter is Latina.

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}*The Chapman Report* is not often shown. I'm perhaps most interested in it for Claire Bloom. With the subject, could this be a Bad Movie We Love?

From what I can remember about "The Chapman Report" - and the last time I saw it was in the 80's - I think it was a Bad Movie from which I could not look away.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings