Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite movie Christmas tree?

I got a very small live tree as our first Christmas tree as a married couple. Everyone made fun of it and called it at Charlie Brown tree. I planted it in our side yard after the holidays. Well 13 years latter it is over 15 feet tall. The nice thing about the tree now is that it remines us of our first Christmas together as a married couple.

Grampy's tree in the Max Fleischer Color Classic CHRISTMAS COMES BUT ONCE A YEAR. He makes it from umbrellas shoved into each other and sticks it on a victrola turntable. Then the shot changes and it's a three-dimensional tree.

grampy.jpg

I think my favorite tree is the Sedley's tree in The Man Who Came To Dinner. Practically the whole movie takes place right in front of the tree. And since Harrison Whiteside (Monte Wooley) thinks that Christmas is his personal holiday, the tree makes the satire even juicier!

Edited by: bagladymimi on Dec 14, 2011 11:54 PM

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}Strange that Hollywood has never topped the iconic image of Charlie Brown and his poor little tree.

These were for sale at several retailers last year. I did not know to what they related. When I learned and went back for them they were sold out at every place. I believe they were about $20.

charlie-brown-christmas-tree.jpg

> {quote:title=bagladymimi wrote:}{quote

> I think the Professor's tree (Monty Wooley) in The Bishop's Wife comes closest to Charlie Brown's sad little tree.

I do not remember exactly. Was it ten cents a branch and it still cost less than $2.00?

The Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree is still being sold. A local retailer in my town still has a couple of them. Ebay has some on their site and I've noticed there is a newer musical version of it. Not in your photo, but some comes with a little blanket.

*Assembly Required. :^0*

Charlie%2BBrown%2BChristmas%2BTree.jpg

> {quote:title=bagladymimi wrote:

> }{quote}I think my favorite tree is the Sedley's tree in The Man Who Came To Dinner. Practically the whole movie takes place right in front of the tree. And since Harrison Whiteside (Monte Wooley) thinks that Christmas is his personal holiday, the tree makes the satire even juicier!

>

>

>

> Edited by: bagladymimi on Dec 14, 2011 11:54 PM

I agree -- the Christmas tree in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER is a pretty significant part of the movie's main setting.

It's interesting that you mention the "Sedleys," though, because the family had changed its name to "Stanley" because of a serious family problem (which I won't spoil by disclosing here), and their original name of "Sedley" was only mentioned toward the end of the movie.

The tree you're mentioning actually belonged to Sheridan Whiteside (Monty Woolley), not the Stanleys/Sedleys, who had to keep their tree in their bedroom because Whiteside was monopolizing the living room. (Remember that Mr. Stanley shows up with a bandage on his head because the tree in the bedroom fell on him, although you don't see that actually happening.)

Someone else mentions the little tree that Professor Wutheridge (also Monty Woolley) buys in THE BISHOP'S WIFE from Maggenti the florist. You're right that he paid less than $2.00 -- I just watched the movie yesterday, and it was $1.40 -- 10 cents per branch, the deal the Professor and Maggenti finally reached after their annual Christmas argument. A very endearing scene.

Now that I think about it, Monty Woolley is in two of my favorite Christmas movies -- or three, if you count SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (which just has holiday scenes right at the end).

I'm enjoying these Posts and the various Scenes with Christmas Trees ! Of course, Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree is one of the Greatest Classic . . . and not surprised @ all, how popular it's become to being able to Own one !

And RayFaiola ... Thanks so much for that Old Classic Cartoon, 'Christmas Comes but Once a Year' ... I have not seen that in YEARS ! ... and can't wait to show it to my brother. I was mesmerized @ the Opening of the Cartoon, showing the 'Orphanage' in 3D ... Whoa ! ... And that Christmas Tree made with Umbrellas was 'Ingenious' ... thanks to Max Fleisher ! This Cartoon Clip led me to another Cartoon that I haven't seen since before I was in Grade School ... that being, 'Somewhere in Dreamland' (1936). Just Awesome Classic Cartoons !

And Swithin, I love that Scene too, in 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' where on Christmas Eve, when the trees are no longer able to be sold, the poorer neighborhood kids are able to get a FREE Christmas Tree by Catching It without dropping it, when it gets 'Thrown' to them. And I've always admired Francie & Neely's 'gutsy' stance, preparing themselves to Catch one of the biggest trees and HOLD Tight onto it withought dropping it ! And when they succeed, their Victorious and exuberant faces looking up @ the proprietor of the tree lot, he grumbles @ them, saying, "Ok ya got ur tree ... now get outta here !" ... to which they hurriedly haul it all the way to their tenement home and begin 'lugging' it up the 4 flights of stairs, singing, 'Silent Night', with the other tenants, spilling out of their apartments, into the hallway, caught up with their Exuberance, and singing along with them !

And of course, there's that Christmas Tree that was being decorated by Pete Bailey under the instructions of his Mom, Mary Bailey in, 'It's A Wonderful Life", while Janey played her rendition of 'Hark the Herald Angels Sing' on the Piano and little Tommy rolling a 'noisy' toy around. That TRee always reminded me of my Aunt's Tree when I was younger. She had these plastic Candle Lights that had 'oil' in them and would 'Bubble' when it got hot ! I was always fascinated with that. I see them now and can be bought . . . but they forever conjure up the Tree in my Aunt's Home ... and 'It's a Wonderful Life" !

And SansFin ... I so Remember that 'geometric' style of a Christmas Tree in 'Bells, Book and Candle'. But with that goldish coloring, it had some 'warmth' to it. Not like the 'Cold' silvery tree put up by Helen Jorgenson, played by Contance Ford in 'A Summer Place' (1959). Placed in the hallway, yet ... on a small table by the stairs. The Silver Tree limbs 'jutted' out evenly (with no 'sway') and about 5" of space in between each level of the 'icy' limbs. And with several glass bulbs placed sporadically here & there. She gives a 'surly' look as she observes the finished product. So Cold and Calculating ... (I always seem to need a sweater after viewing this scene !) It's not the tree, mind you ... I've seen plenty of different kinds of Beautiful trees and in different colors. But I guess what I'm saying is that, that 'metallic' looking tree reflected her 'cold hearted' persona on screen . . .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScdVL_cvObNaaAaw6iHt0

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

> But I guess what I'm saying is that, that 'metallic' looking tree reflected her 'cold hearted' persona on screen . . .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScdVL_cvObNaaAaw6iHt0

That tree looks positively lethal! It is easy to imagine that it would start spinning and throw off the bulbs at calculated intervals to pelt those around it with glass shards.

I have found a video of my favorite tree:

http://youtu.be/vFyb0TnBwdM

I believe the matching gold skirting at the bottom softens the geometric look of it and makes it seem as if it part of the room.

Speaking of that reminds me of the legend of the spider web. I do not know if any of you know of it:

There was a poor widow with many children. A pinecone blew in through a broken window in spring and it took root in the dirt floor. She did not remove it because the children quickly thought it meant they would have a tree for Christmas. It grew tall quickly because it had the tender and loving care of the children.

As Christmas neared the children all wished they could have decorations for their beautiful tree. The sad widow knew she could not afford any. On the night before Christmas eve a spider spun its webs all over the tree. The children and the widow were all overjoyed when they saw their tree was dressed in a wonderful gossamer veil.

On Christmas eve the first star shone through the broken window. When its rays touched the web it turned into threads of silver and gold and the widow and the children never suffered want again.

In the movie Bell Book and Candle, 1958 I believe, with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak, you get about a 15 second look at the Rockefeller Plaza Christmas Tree in New York which has the giant ornaments they used to put on it which I remember as a kid.

*The Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree is still being sold.* -ham

Yeah, I remember the wood-based ones everywhere last year. I saw some in a grocery store this year with Linus's blue blanket as a tree skirt. Besides Charlie Brown getting rocks for Halloween, that tree is my favorite Peanuts moment.

LonesomePolecat wrote:

<< The Who's giant Christmas tree in HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS. The one the Grinch folds up like an umbrella. SO AWESOME! >>

I thought something was *missing* in the movie version of HTGSC!

the[igrinch[/i]2000moviecindylouwhotaylormomsen.jpg]

Charlie Brown Christmas Trees:

http://www.google.com/search?q=charliebrownchristmastree&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=2&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1933l3315l0l4837l5l5l0l0l0l0l301l813l2-2.1l3l0&um=1&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&oq=charliebrownchristmastree&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=

http://www.google.com/products?q=charliebrown%27schristmas+tree&hl=en

I believe both the Charlie Brown and Grinch Christmas trees deserve mention. They may not have been in a theatrically-released movie yet they are incontestable classics which raise their qualifications above their 'television movie' status.

I did an IMDB.com search for movies of the classic years with the keyword: "Christmas tree" There were only forty-nine returns.

I have not seen many of those movies and I do not know how important the tree is or whether they were only set decorations. I am curious as to how important the Christmas tree was in the movie *Greed* (1924).

I do not think any movie surpasses *The Bishop's Wife* (1947) when it is a matter of decorating the tree with elan. I love the way his posture changes subtly as he raises and lowers his hands as if he is actually able to see the decorations appear and is reacting to them.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}SansFin, why did they decorate the trees with elan in The Bishop's Wife? Were they out of tinsel and ornaments?

It truly came down to a budget concern. The large amount of tinsel required for the huge tree would be very expensive. Cary Grant had an inexhaustible supply of elan and he was already on the payroll.