Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mr Lancaster

AFreeSoul

Dad always told me to watch Burt Lancaster films - his favourite being Trapeze - and i never listened. After watching From Here to Eternity, The Killers and Separate Tables, i began to realize

the talent (and appeal) of my Dads faviourite. Can anyone tell me their favourite, less well known, Lancaster films?

So many wonderful roles. But for pure escapism try:

'the Crimson Pirate"

"The Flame and the Arrow"

"Ten Tall Men"

Dramatic Roles, just a few recommendations:

"Sweet Smell of Success"

"Birdman of Alcatraz"

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

"Seven Days in May"

"The Train"

"Elmer Gantry" His Academy Award performance...

Burt Lancaster is one of my all time favorite actors and he did a very diverse group of films, so different people will have different opinions about their favorites or bests. For me I first think of Burt the action hero ( I love TCM's John Frankenheimer narrative bio on Burt) and my favorite Burt film is *The Train* which is a gripping WW2 drama that really showcases Burt's acting and physical skills as a stunt man. *Run Silent, Run Deep* is hands down the best submarine movie ever made and shows Burt and Clark Gable doing some of their best acting. Burt's early film work features some of the best film noirs ever made , *The Killers* , *Criss Cross* , *Sorry Wrong Number* etc. And Burt did some of the best swashbuckler films made (of course doing his own stunts).

Edited by: mrroberts on Dec 18, 2011 4:00 PM

Edited by: mrroberts on Dec 18, 2011 4:02 PM

Other than Mifune and Gabin, I have a hard time thinking of any male actor whose movies I enjoy more than Lancaster's. He started out with a bang in one of the two top noirs of all time ( The Killers ), and then there was Criss Cross, Brute Force, I Walk Alone, Mister 880, All My Sons, Elmer Gantry, Sweet Smell of Success, Judgment at Nuremburg, Seven Days in May , and even one of his lesser known later films, The Swimmer . And the only reason I'm leaving Birdman of Alcatraz off is because I haven't yet watched it all the way through. Other American actors may have had a greater number of top movies than Burt, but I've only seen about 15 or 20 of his to date, and I've yet to encounter a genuine stinker in the whole bunch. The one I've yet to see but is top on my list is Sorry, Wrong Number , as it's got him paired with my #1 actress, Barbara Stanwyck. I only wish that TCM would hurry up and get that one on its schedule.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings