Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't Bother To Knock (Adventures In Babysitting)

Bolesroor

* s p o i l e r s *

Wow... I just saw this movie and I was very impressed. Richard Widmark always looks like he's sucking on a lemon, and this is by far the *best* acting I have ever seen out of Marilyn Monroe. (If anybody brings up "The Misfits" I may have to jump off a cliff.)

The scene where Richard Widmark goes to check on the little girl and he thinks she's asleep and he walks away and we see she's tied up by psycho Nell! Whoa! Every setup in the movie had a payoff... Marilyn saying she never eats candy, the introduction of the wealthy battle-axe... the only thing that was almost absurdly out of place was Anne Bancroft as the "sultry" nightclub singer who drank at the public bar between sets!

Anyway, awesome movie!

My best friend is the one with whom I would sit with through a Marilyn Monroe movie, and now I don't feel like an outsider knowing there is someone who appreciates this movie.

It is a very impressive film, and strangely enough when this title comes up in conversation among friends, this is the one that seems to be the least liked or known about.

But hey, I love Richard Widmark and his pairing with Ms. Monroe helped make this movie work, and in my opinion it enhanced Ms. Monroe's acting quite a bit.

Agree with Ms. Bancroft's karakter, she was good, but I believe she tried to give her best for the part she was given.

At first I thought you were referring to the late '80's flick starring Elisabeth Shue. And I LOVE that movie! Especially blues legend Albert Collins small part. "Don't nobody leave this place 'less they sing the blues."

But I agree with you. Although I'd give Ms. Monroe's "best role" nod to either "Niagra" or "Bus Stop".

Sepiatone

This is one of the few Monroe movies I enjoy. Different type of roles for both Widmark and Monroe and they do work very well together. But I also think Monroe does a good job in The Misfits. While to some degree she is still playing herself she doesn't overplay it in that movie. That type of low key Monroe I found interesting.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}At first I thought you were referring to the late '80's flick starring Elisabeth Shue. And I LOVE that movie! Especially blues legend Albert Collins small part. "Don't nobody leave this place 'less they sing the blues."

My favorite line is on the subway when the gang leader drops the knife into the one kid's shoe:

Gang Leader: "Don't **** with the Lords of Hell." :0

Elisabeth Shue (grabbing the knife and waving it in his face): "Don't **** with the babysitter!" :^0

adventuresinbabysitting.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings