Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers 2011

xamfra

• 2 weeks later...

If not too late to have the the editors work all day, need place following into TCM REMEMBERS 2011

Karl Slover - WIZARD OF OZ

Susan Gordon - FIVE PENNIES

Doe Avedon - THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY

Don Sharp - Director [KISS OF THE VAMPIRE, CURSE OF THE FLY, THE FACE OF FU MANCHU]

Jo Ann Sayers - MAN WITH NINE LIVES

Sid Melton - THE LOST CONTINENT, LADY SINGS THE BLUES, ATOMIC SUBMARINE

Leonard Stone - WILLIE WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, SOYLENT GREEN

Paul Burke - VALLEY OF THE DOLLS

Edited by: SHELDONJ on Dec 25, 2011 1:59 AM

Regarding adding in personalities who had the bad timing to pass away just after TCM's annual tribute montage "TCM Remembers" is finished, I would think that by this time TCM would be prepared for that possibility and produce the montages with brief sections where it would be possible to edit in another person. There are a few short sections in this years montage in which a few seconds of Susan Gordon, for example, could be edited in without needing to worry about adjusting the audio soundtrack.

This year's TCM Remembers will probably be running for another week or so. It's not too late to add Susan in, and give her the tribute she deserves.

I have just viewed this years "TCM Remembers" for maybe the tenth time and really enjoyed it. I was particularily touched by the segment where Robert Mitchum kisses Jane Russell (perhaps welcoming her to the 'afterlife'). I believe TCM should do whatever possible to include those unfortunate enough to pass after the initial production. I know it isn't healthy to mourn forever, but TCM does pay tribute to these stars long after their death, so why not have a complete block of time set aside to play all the past "TCM Remembers" that have been made since TCM has first started it. Does anyone know how many there are? When did TCM start remembering? I, for one would enjoy reviewing all the past "Remembers" and maybe TCM could make it a yearly thing and when showing the past "Remembers" maybe then edit in those that weren't originally included.

As I stated in another thread on this topic (there are several threads already, probably more to come) many of the past TCM Remembers are easily seen on youtube. As for last minute additions, some people have unrealistic expectations about this, I don't think the presentations are put together in 10 minutes or so. Gathering the clips, maybe getting permission to use them etc. takes time. There has to be some cutoff point of time, if someone passes in the last few weeks of the year its not like they're being dissed.

*"So are the people that they miss one year because of a December passing, then included the next year?"* - finance

Often that is the case.

Neva Patterson who appears in the current "TCM Remembers" passed away in December 2010.

Kyle (Nicely Done, Scott) In Hollywood

I wonder if they do a little 'dead pool' type preperation, and put clips together of some people they know are extremely elderly/ill, and have them ready in case they pass right at the (excuse the expression) deadline for inclusion. This could explain how they can 'squeeze' in someone like Harry Morgan, who must have passed right at their commitment point.

And seriously - should they include Cheetah? Certainly had a long career in movies! :)

I think that there is one way to satisfy some of the later deaths in memoralizing them into the TCM Remembers montage and that would be to not begin showing the TCM Remembers montage until January.

As far as I am concerned, if TCM were to make the montage available in January instead of mid-December, then quite possibly some of the mid to late December deaths could be included.

Your not going to always be able to showcase everyone who passed away, you would never be able to do that, but a good selection of classic Hollywood greats and not so greats could be better than what happens now.

The problem with how the Academy Awards presents in Memorial is that because they think they have to entertain the theater audience AND the tv audience at the same time, they usually bring in some high-fluent entertainer to sing or play a musical instrument. And what happens then?

The focus usually is on the entertainer for about a minute or more instead of the deceased. I remember one year James Taylor came out to sing one of his classics. The camera focused on him as if he was presenting his own Oscar nominated song. So for a four minute segment of deceased celebrities, we only got about a two and a half minute celebration.

So, my suggestion would be for TCM to hold off on an In Memorial to early to mid January and then play the spot for a couple of months.

What do you all think?

Were any changes made to this years, TCM REMEMBERS since it started airing?

I know in years past they've added and corrected versions.

Last year they added Blake Edwards after the fact. In 2008 I believe Roberta Collins was edited out in order to make room for Van Johnson.

Thanks,

Yancey

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}I think that there is one way to satisfy some of the later deaths in memoralizing them into the TCM Remembers montage and that would be to not begin showing the TCM Remembers montage until January.

Absolutely. That's the way TCM should do it. The Academy obviously does their memorium for persons who died during the past year, with the occasional last-minute additon/re-edit when appropriate (such as 2008 when Heath Ledger died early that year).

> {quote:title=yanceycravat wrote:}{quote}

> Were any changes made to this years, TCM REMEMBERS since it started airing?

>

> I know in years past they've added and corrected versions.

>

No, I am pretty sure there have been no changes made to it this year. I have been watching it especially closely each time I see it, as I have been suggesting and hoping that they would add actress Susan Gordon who passed away on Dec. 11.

But it looks like by this time they are not going to do it.

> So, my suggestion would be for TCM to hold off on an In Memorial to early to mid January and then play the spot for a couple of months.

Wasn't there a thread about this last year?

It's traditional at this time of the year to look back on the year that is waning and remember those who passed. TCM is not the only one that does this. Magazines, newspapers, news broadcasts, etc are all providing remembrances of those left us in 2011.

It is part of our culture that we use the month of December to look back. If TCM were to hold off and run the In Memoriam tribute throughout January, how many people would question the timing and complain that it is better suited to December? Probably more than we think.

Another poster mentioned the Academy's In Memoriam being in February but that is because it is part of the Academy Awards and not a separate, stand-alone tribute. It airs only once during the Academy Awards broadcast.

> Wasn't there a thread about this last year?

I do not know. I did not research this when I wrote what I wrote. But based on everything else that is brought up each year, this topic probably was written about.

> It's traditional at this time of the year to look back on the year that is waning and remember those who passed. TCM is not the only one that does this. Magazines, newspapers, news broadcasts, etc are all providing remembrances of those left us in 2011.

Yes, I am quite aware of these tributes. Magazines, newspapers, television news broadcasts, and some cable outlets like TCM do present these year end tributes. I am not disputing this.

> It is part of our culture that we use the month of December to look back. If TCM were to hold off and run the In Memoriam tribute throughout January, how many people would question the timing and complain that it is better suited to December? Probably more than we think.

> Another poster mentioned the Academy's In Memoriam being in February but that is because it is part of the Academy Awards and not a separate, stand-alone tribute. It airs only once during the Academy Awards broadcast.

Yes, I agree. The month of December is the month we look back. As far as people complaining about the timing of the Memoriam, I would guess that an equal amount would complain about either subject.

I have never heard of anyone ever complaining that the Academy Awards Memoriam should be earlier than when they traditionally show them on their telecast. Most of the awards shows start appearing in January, leading up to the Oscars. And almost all of them also show memoriams to deceased actors, et all.

My suggestion would be this:

Run the Memoriam during December as has always been done. Then in February when 31 Days of Oscar is programmed, re-edit the original December Memoriam and add in any additional deceased classic movie people that would have died after the original Memoriam had been broadcast. This way we solve any potential bickering when after TCM does air the Memoriam in early December, and several more people die afterwards, they would then be included during the 31 Days of Oscar.

So, if TCM were to show their Memoriam in February, it would at least be in keeping with the tradition of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences. And lets face it, Robert Osborne is as much a part of Oscar history as TCM is.

Of course some people would still complain that certain people were left off the memoriam and that will always be the case.

This topic (that comes up every year or when someone dies) is one of the reasons why I wish this site had better moderation and/or someone who would give us a straight answer.

I still don't even understand what the protocol is on giving an actor their 45 second TCM Remembers montage with the "windshield wiper". At first I thought if you got it, it also meant they revised the schedule for a tribute but a few people this year got the schedule revision, without the montage. Cliff Robertson comes to mind.

> Robertson didn't make the cutoff for getting the montage? A gross injustice.

There was no injustice, gross or otherwise. Cliff Robertson is in the 2011 TCM Remembers In Memoriam.

The poster was talking about the stand alone tribute that some stars get (the slow orchestral music, windshield wiper, rain) when they pass away.

She was saying while Robertson got a Tribute day, she did not see the Memorial tribute to him alone.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings