Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saddest movie ever made is on Sunday morning

Swithin

I think I posted this last year, but tis the season.

In my grade school, they showed us movies once in a while. A few of the films were kind of adult for kids -- Judy Garland in A Star Is Born, for example. But the one film that caused quite a controversy was *All Mine to Give,* which sent us home crying. A beautifully shot and well acted 1957 film about a pioneer family in Wisconsin, the ending will tear your heart out. Just to give you an idea of the subject matter, it's based on a story called "The Days They Gave Babies Away."

Check it out if you haven't seen it, but be prepared for the ending, which, despite the sadness, is not without hope. And the film has a great score by Max Steiner.

I agree...this film is not for the weak. It will send you to the store for a new box of tissues.

It is worth mentioning that ALL MINE TO GIVE features Glynis Johns, Cameron Mitchell and Hope Emerson, all of whom are excellent. This was one of the last pictures that RKO made before the studio ran into financial trouble in the late 50s. Universal picked it up for distribution.

allminetogivelc4.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen a sadder movie. It is a film that should be seen by all, I just am not sure when its a suitable time. As you mentioned, as sad as the ending is it does offer the prospect of hope for the future, that the kids will have good lives and maybe be reunited at sometime in the future. There should have been a sequel made a few years later, maybe with the same cast of children (all grown up) and the quest of reuniting the family.

Actually, out-sadding, every other motion picture, is the made-for-television film, WHO WILL LOVE MY CHILDREN, starring Ann-Margret, in a true story of a mother who goes about finding homes for her 10 children, when she finds she is dying. Easily an entire box of tissues, is required. No film I have ever seen comes close to being as sad.

When I was in college, a wise (if otherwise generally annoying) woman called Berta Kaslow gave me a very short lecture on the dangers of speaking in absolutes and superlatives (i.e., if you do, you're almost surely going to be proven wrong). It was some of the best advice I ever received.

I suggest that you watch the THE SORROW AND THE PITY, Marcel Ophüls's landmark documentary about the Holocaust, before you declare something to be "the saddest movie ever made."

You are quite right, Sprocket Man. I am remembering the impact of *All Mine to Give* on myself and my fellow students between the ages of six and twelve. I've shown just the ending to adults in recent years and they are frequently similarly moved by the incredible sadness. But as least there is hope.

The movie you mention, and Make Way for Tomorrow which others have mentioned, are certainly cosmically more tragic, if I may describe them thus. Another movie which I find consumingly tragic is Witchfinder General aka The Conquerer Worm, a film in which just about all goodness is annihilated by the end, during which the good guy is corrupted and even the audience wants the hacking of evil Vincent Price to continue.

But I suppose there is a difference between the sadness of the end of All Mine to Give and the tragedy of the others films. But -- I could be wrong here -- unlike other sad films, the final scenes of All Mine to Give stand on their own and can reduce "strong men" to tears without having seen the rest of the movie.

Saying this is the saddest movie ever made got me interested, I'll record and watch it later Sunday night. I thought "Old Yeller", "The Champ" and "Hachi" were the saddest movies ever made.

I've noticed Patty McCormack is in the film, does the family who takes her in knows what they are in for? ]:)

patty-mccormack-the-bad-seed.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 17, 2011 9:43 PM

Well folks, I don't know if the following mentioned film is "the saddest" movie ever made, but even now after 40 years from its initia release, I can still remember how depressed I was as I walked out of theater showing *The Last Picture Show.*

(...and I remember I was pretty much depressed for a couple of days afterward, too)

This should be in the "shame" thread: I've never seen The Last Picture Show. I do want to see it. And speaking of Ellen Burstyn, I realize there are different types of sadness. The biggest downer I ever saw was Requiem for a Dream, a great film with great performances, particularly by Ms. Burstyn. At the end of that film, there is NO HOPE for any of that film's major characters!

But All Mine to Give is different. There is hope for those children at the end, but it is SO heart-wrenching.

Hamradio, they showed Old Yeller to us in grade school in that same series of films, but I don't remember much about it. It was about 50 years ago! But All Mine to Give stays with me.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}Saying this is the saddest movie ever made got me interested, I'll record and watch it later Sunday night. I thought "Old Yeller", "The Champ" and "Hachi" were the saddest movies ever made.

>

If it's sadder than *Old Yeller* and *A Dog of Flanders*, I don't want to see it. I probably wouldn't survive...

I just don't have the guts to watch this movie...I know the whole plot(even sold the dvd many a time when big lots had gotten hundreds of copies at $3 a piece) but I don't like to be sad watching movies. Well, at least not at the end of them, beginning, or the middle of the film, that's one thing...Perhaps if I am a millionaire, and happily married oneday, then I could take it! :)

I agree with all the choices that the posters have mentioned in terms of being sad movies. Addressing any of them in the superlative is of course always very subjective. Having said that, if listing any movie which I personally found perhaps the saddest that I have ever seen, I would add the movie "The Whisperers" (one of the last of the great black-and-white British "kitchen sink" dramas) with Dame Edith Evans. I think the most depressing movie I ever personally saw was "Ironweed" (after watching it I felt like I had been hit by a truck). Great performances certainly, but I don't think I would ever watch either film again.

I think that arguments for the saddest movie ever made could also be made for Brian's Song, which almost reduced an entire class of 6th graders to tears when I was a kid and Schindler's List, which has been devastating humans with that red coat since 1993.

Speaking of two previously mentioned titles: My mother refuses to watch All Mine to Give ever again. It caused such a tremendous emotional response from her she will not watch it. She refuses to watch Old Yeller and Psycho ever again for similar reasons. Also, my mom, two of my sisters and I began watching Make Way for Tomorrow when it aired on TCM last year. By the end, I was the only one left watching it. One sister was so depressed she went home and my mother and other sister adjourned to their respective rooms until it was over. Sissies.

Well I watched the movie and its hardly the saddest movie ever. I'm judging it from a mid 19th century standpoint. First there was a considerable mortality rate from diseases like diphtheria and typhoid considering their living standards. That cabin was mostly a frozen meat locker during the winter, fireplaces gave off very little heat.

We are spoiled on modern medicine and our insulated, central heated homes - stuff we take for granted.

Second those kids are lucky that people took them in and adopt them so quickly by which in my opinion gave this movie a happy ending. It would had been sad if those same kids wound up in todays foster care system.

I really like how the oldest son lived up to his responsibilty of being head of the household and do what was in his brothers and sisters best interest and he kept his word he gave to his dying mother. Back then the oldest son was considered the "man of the house", this goes back to antiquity.

Really hated that Mrs Runyon and proud how those boys stood up to that old bag. Found silly she criticised building the house over the well, no they don't think they are better than anyone else, just using some common sense.

Found some scenes quit funny like that girl falling half way though the floor and that ever so cute pouty aftermath.

When Robbie and James was debating giving their little sister Elizabeth to the school teacher, Jimmie said she might wind up being one, Robbie said in response Right now she's homely enough. :^0

Poor James wound up with those admiring twin girls AND their sisters. The tortures that awaits him. ROFL!

Question: The titles stated Jon Provost (what no Lassie) played Robbie Eunson - age 6, who was that blond headed boy at the Tylers house during the offering Annabelle up for adoption scene? He resembles Jon a lot.

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 20, 2011 1:14 PM

I watched All Mine To Give and thought it a nice modest little production. But the saddest film ever made?

That declaration I don't quite understand.

For starters, the film is a nice low key presentation. Secondly, as already pointed out in a previous entry here, all the kids get easily adopted. There's not a family approached in that community that turns any of those kids down. In that respect, at least, the kids are all very fortunate. The only people I feel sorry for is the unsuspecting family that adopted Patty McCormack.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings