Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Stuff the Shoes Tonight!

SansFin

Sunday, December 18th is the the eve of St. Nicholas Day in the Julian calendar.

Girls and boys who have been good should awaken on Monday morning to find coins, candy, and even tiny toys in their shoes. This hearkens back to the story of how St. Nicholas gave sacks of gold so three girls could have dowries and be married rather than being sold as slaves. He threw the gold through a window so he could remain anonymous. It is said the sacks landed in the girls' shoes.

Children in The Netherlands leave straw and carrots for the horses of St. Nicholas in their shoes in hopes he will exchange them for small gifts.

On St. Nicholas Day children should be able to go see St. Nicholas. He will be dressed as an Orthodox or Byzantine Bishop. He will tell them stories about sharing with others and caring for the needy.

An important preparation for this visit is that the children should take a small gift of something of their own. It may be money they have saved for it or a part of their share of their family's St. Nicholas Day cookies or some other small token which the helpers of St. Nicholas may pass on to children who are less fortunate.

A visit to St. Nicholas means getting a present! It may be a small thing like a coin or scarf or it may be much more substantial. The present I will never forget is a ham which was so large I could only barely carry it. I was so happy I had an important thing I could share with my family and I was so very proud when father many times said my ham was delicious at supper that night.

If the children are getting more presents then his helpers deliver them to their home while they out of the house visiting St. Nicholas. No hub-bub of one man coming down the chimney in the middle of the night. This army of unseen helpers works in broad daylight and enter through the front door even if it is locked!

It is also a day of sleigh rides, visiting relatives, cookies in the shape of a Bishop and cakes. Lots and lots of cakes!

You may learn more of St. Nicholas at:

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/home/

This was an important day for us when I was growing up. St. Nicholas is the patron saint of sailors, fishermen and others whose lives are tied to the sea. We were a great port city. There were many types of celebrations which were both wonderful and pious.

Celebrating St. Nicholas Day has a very great benefit: the gift giving is done on the day associated with anonymous gifts and we are left to celebrate Christmas Day on January 7 as a solemn religious time with our loved ones and as a merry time singing carols, visiting neighbors and eating Honey Cakes! ;)

I wish you all a very Happy St. Nichols Day!

Thank you for sharing this European tradition with us.

Our Christmas Day will be next Sunday, December *25*th. And in the Latin culture I believe their Three Kings Day is in January. (The 6th I think). But I have a question. How does St. Nick know if the kids are putting their right shoe size before him to fill with gifts. Could a girl with size 5 feet be offering up a size 9 shoe to fill?

Happy times to those celebrating St. Nicholas Day overseas.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> How does St. Nick know if the kids are putting their right shoe size before him to fill with gifts. Could a girl with size 5 feet be offering up a size 9 shoe to fill?

Children learn very early that larger shoes are easier to fill with coal. :) There is also no way of knowing if the person whose shoes they are borrowing have been so good they will receive gifts. ;)

The gifts are also personal. A girl who loves chocolates and money will find little use for a whittling knife and collectible stamps.

If they wish to be greedy they will leave out their tall winter boots and hide their indoor shoes. :)

It is amazing how much silk can be stuffed into a shoe. A friend who liked to embroider found a new dress in her shoe one morning!

> Happy times to those celebrating St. Nicholas Day overseas.

There are many Greek Orthodox churches and Dutch communities in America which have celebrations. I was asked to one in my first winter here. I did not go because it did not feel right as they held it on December 6th.

I thank you for your kind words. I know it is silly of me to miss a thing I outgrew so many years ago.

St. Nicholas was very good to me this year!

Two tickets to a play. They are both for the same performance so I do not know if St. Nicholas thinks I wish to change seats for each act. Perhaps I will have to find some person to haul along with me.

A gift card to a local boutique which sells excellent chocolates.

Two handmade truffles. Ones with real truffles in them. This includes a mystery since the only recipe I know makes a minimum of a dozen so I must check someone's breath for traces of chocolate and fungi or I must go searching for ten more of them.

A baby dragon. It is sad to say it is only a resin sculpture. One can hope.

An Arkansas stone. I have been needing a new one for a few years.

In the other shoe were airline bottles of vodka and Kahlua, and a bottle of rum with a packet of instant cocoa mix and Grand Marnier.

Do you all now wish you also celebrated St. Nicholas Day? ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings