Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classics beyond TCM this week

Since fellow poster Mark is highlighting films that TCM has scheduled each week, I thought I would start to spotlight titles that are on other channels and hopefully will appear on TCM.

_Sunday 12.18_

FLIX is showing TOUGH GUYS (1986), the final pairing of *Burt Lancaster* and *Kirk Douglas.* Also in the cast are *Alexis Smith* and *Eli Wallach.*

_Tuesday 12.20_

1fo.jpg

FLIX will air ON GOLDEN POND (1981), a film that translated into a golden Oscar for *Henry Fonda* giving what would be his last screen performance. Leading lady *Katharine Hepburn* would also earn a prize statuette, her fourth.

The Fox Movie Channel airs ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM (1946), starring *Rex Harrison* and *Irene Dunne.* How can you resist a film about a woman tutoring a man's 67 children...?

Encore Westerns has BARBED WIRE (1952), one of the last films that *Gene Autry* made at Columbia before hanging up his hat.

_Wednesday 12.21_

Fox Movie Channel has on tap one of the best espionage thrillers ever. It is FIVE FINGERS (1952), and it stars *James Mason*, *Michael Rennie* and sumptuous French beauty *Danielle Darrieux* in a rare English-speaking performance. Director *Joseph L. Mankiewicz* earned an Oscar nomination.

_Friday 12.23_

*June Allyson* (on loan-out from home studio MGM), *Lauren Bacall* and *Arlene Dahl* prove that it's A WOMAN'S WORLD (1954).' Of course, the men, portrayed by *Clifton Webb*, *Van Heflin*, *Cornel Wilde* & *Fred MacMurray*, try to refute that notion and probably have just as much fun. It airs on the Fox Movie Channel.

THE GRAPES OF WRATH (1940) gets its last airing on the Fox Movie Channel. The classic, based on the novel by *John Steinbeck*, stars *Henry Fonda* and *Jane Darwell* who gives an Oscar performance as Ma Joad. The screening is introduced by *Tom Rothman* and has an encore showing early the next morning, on the 24th.

_Saturday 12.24_

the-ballad-of-josie-doris-day-5177521-50

Encore Westerns has dug into the Universal vaults and pulled out THE BALLAD OF JOSIE (1968), one of the last films that *Doris Day* made. *Andrew V. McLaglen* directs and Doris' costar for this rollicking western-comedy is *Peter Graves.*

RIDERS IN THE SKY (1949), a *Gene Autry* oater with *Pat Buttram*, airs on the Encore Westerns channel.

BOOTS AND SADDLES (1937) is scheduled, a *Gene Autry* delight made at Republic with *Smiley Burnette.*

Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to "Five Fingers". Plus, Encore Westerns has been a good source of classic Westerns all the way back to the 30's lately. I only wish the other Encore channels played films from as many decades as that channel does!

You're welcome. And I agree, the Encore Westerns channel does seem to offer films from every decade of sound film. The new schedule for January just went up and there are some more good offerings in the month ahead.

For our friends in Canada, (and those in America who can get the CBC.) they are showing a 2006 version of Wind In The Willows on December 28 at 1am, (Eastern Time.) Does anybody out know about this film, or any other version of the story? I know Pink Floyd name their debut after a line from the book, (Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.)

On Monday morning FMC will be airing *Buffalo Bill* (Joel McCrea, Maureen O'Hara, Linda Darnell) followed by *Prince of Foxes* (Tyrone Power and Orson Welles) then *Pinky* (Jeanne Crain, Ethel Barrymore) and then *The Ghost and Mrs. Muir* (Gene Tierney, Rex Harrison).

Cinemax is airing *Desk Set* (Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy) early Monday morning.

I haven't seen it, but there is info about it, and other versions, on the IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825347/

>Matt Lucas as a marvellous Toad, Mark Gatiss as a spiky rat, Lee Ingleby as a nervous Mole, and Bob Hoskins as a grumpy old Badger make a classy cast within yet another version of Kenneth Grahame's classic book.

>

>Comparing well with the Python-heavy 1996 version, which got lost in music and a mincemeat factory plot, this has many pluses in its favour - the best of all being the famous 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' chapter covered in full, with all its ethereal magic. Plenty, then, to enthrall children and interest adults who happen to be watching with or without them.

I would like to see TCM give John Saxon a SUTS tribute and show THE APPALOOSA in letter box. But considering they recently honored Brando and that film did not make it on the schedule, I think it's going to be a long wait.