Jane Fonda Movies

PATTYBOOP

My favorite channel is TCM. I love all those movies, however, I WILL NOT WATCH

ANY MOVIES TCM SHOWS WITH REGARD TO JANE FONDA. Even if she has two

sentences, I will NOT watch the movie. Please do not ruin my day any further by

showing anymore of her movies today. It has been all day and I'm going through

withdraw not watching TCM.

Thank you

I hope TCM continues to show Jane Fonda movies. I'm a fan of classic movies that can separate their politics from their enjoyment of movies and the actors and actresses that play in those movies.

I would say the same thing to someone that leans left that wouldn't watch, say, a John Wayne or Robert Taylor movie.

So TCM please continue to show the classic regardless of politics!

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}I hope TCM continues to show Jane Fonda movies. I'm a fan of classic movies that can separate their politics from their enjoyment of movies and the actors and actresses that play in those movies.

>

> I would say the same thing to someone that leans left that wouldn't watch, say, a John Wayne or Robert Taylor movie.

>

James,what Hanoi Jane did goes waaay beyond politics! What that useless woman did,allowing herself to be photographed sitting on an anti-aircraft gun,giving 10 radio broadcasts denouncing America and its military leaders as war criminals for all of Vietnam to hear,calling returning POW's "LIARS"!! about their stories of torture,and other acts she committed that i just can't remember anymore earns her the TRAITOR OF THE CENTURY award!!. In my opinion(and that of many others,at least the ones that count) she should have been arrested and tried for TREASON!!,and if found guilty,she should have been shot!!,and her "movies" should have been burned!!!. She IS an utter disgrace to America,and when i think about all the guys who fought and died(some of whom were my friends) so that she could be free to shoot off her BIG,FAT,STINKING,TRAITOROUS MOUTH, i just want to cry. How you can compare John Wayne and Robert taylor to a freakin' TRAITOR like Hanoi Jane is just beyond belief!

Now in recent years she has been going around mouthing the words "i'm sorry",if she is looking for absolution from her guilt,she will find NONE!! There is no absolution for Hanoi Jane.

I gotta stop,i'm so freakin'angry my hands are shaking GRRRRRR!!

The only Jane Fonda movie that left me disappointed was "The China Syndrome" (1979). Upon release of that movie, I was expecting a catastrophe or doomsday type of scenerio but turned out to be a wet firecracker.

Leave it up to real life events to out do it, like Chernobyl or the near total disaster drama of Fukushima. (expect no Godzilla there :P )

*Ah shoot, this didn't happen*

sci_ast8.jpg

Looks like the only meltdown may be this thread.

Passable to first rate actress in a few good movies ( They Shoot Horses..., Klute, Walk on the Wild Side ), but a persona that's like fingernails on a blackboard. And even though I'm as liberal as anyone and thought that the Vietnam war was hopelessly misguided at best, her "Hanoi Jane" label was a rather precisely accurate way of describing her shameful role during that period. Even during that Osborne interview tonight, you had a definite feeling that this was a woman who's carried a chip on her shoulder since the day she was born. I wouldn't want to have been raised in that Fonda family, either, so I can sympathize with her in that, but at some point I wish she could have learned to relax and treat her life as a journey rather than as a constant battle.

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> Looks like the only meltdown may be this thread.

LOL!!! Yep ham, Jane still is one of the most polarizing figures in these United States, isn't she?!

Personally, I've always been of the opinion that she's a very good actress, BUT I've never gotten the idea she ever was or could play "sexy", even in her youth...and yep, that includes "Barbarella".

(...nope, 'cause ever since I can remember, I've ALWAYS thought she looked just like her father...in drag)

Dargo wrote:

<< Personally, I've always been of the opinion that she's a very good actress, BUT I've never gotten the idea she ever was or could play "sexy", even in her youth...and yep, that includes "Barbarella". >>

Maybe if Mathilda May in "Lifeforce" (1985) and Jane Fonda in "Barbarella" switched roles, both movies would had evened out.

Many, many stars were less than likeable in real life, or did things to which we can take exception, either through their actions or views. Almost all TCM fans have some "toxic reaction" to someone or another, foe whatever reason. Quite a number of them risked their careers and popularity by standing up to Senator McCarthy. Others have had a personal life marred by scandal and vice. Movies are an illusionary world of make believe, and that is what the audience was getting for the price of the admission ticket.

My personal feelings about Fonda center around her ditzty, emotion driven "air sign" quality which comes through in a number of her film roles. I always got the sense that she wasn't acting so much as playing her real life self. When Carrol O'Connor played "Archie", he was acting. When Jean Stapleton played Edith Bunker, she was acting. When playing some of her film roles, Jane Fonda didn't need to act, she was playing herself.

Every once in a while this topic comes up: how actors behave in their private lives. Sometimes we are offended by those who differ from us politically, even mildly. Sometimes we fret over their sex lives. Nevertheless, most of us try to separate those feelings from our enjoyment of the movies.

The closest I come to having a real problem with a star is with Walter Brennan, whose racism was so overt, nasty, and blatent, even for its time, that I find it truly revolting. Nevertheless, I love his movies! Go figure.

I like Jane Fonda, the person and the actress. I watch her films when I can. I thought "They shoot horss don't they ?" was magnificent for a variety of reasons.

We all know what she did and it was deplorable. She apologized and explained things to my own satisfaction. So we move on. That war was very divisive and had many people taking unpopular stands.

Maybe that should be its own thread. Those we can't stand and will never forgive.

I was pleasantly surprised at "Jane" day because I not only enjoyed a few movies (Spirits of the Dead especially) but enjoyed the Robert Osborne interview later in the day.

Remember, Jane was married to the founder of the channel, it makes sense she'd be honored in some way. When she spoke of her film experiences I realized she's had quite the impressive career-evolving and developing as an actress in unusual, varied roles.

I'm getting a little annoyed at all the posters judgement of actors/actresses personal lives. If Jane spoke out politically, can't you just have a different opinion? If Jane has a "chip on her shoulder", that effects you how exactly? If Katherine Hepburn had a long term affair with Spencer Tracy, that effects your life somehow? Walter Brennan the racist instantly becomes a lousy actor in a role?

Their personal choices effect THEIR lives, not yours. Haven't we all made mistakes? Does it effect your job performance?

Sometimes I think viewers connect with film and take them too personally. Please put it in perspective - I may hate violence, guns, bullying but I can watch the Godfather, it's a movie.

LOVE JANE FONDA.

Idiot reactionaries still yapping about a phony and corrupt war (much like the Bush Wars) in Vietnam should give it a rest and get a life. So don't watch her movies; don't read her books. Who cares? She has as much right to her political opinions as you do. Get it?

The best film actress of her generation. Superb in *Julia, Klute, They Shoot Horses, Coming Home, The Dollmaker, The Morning After, Comes a Horseman, Barefoot in the Park, California Suite, Nine to Five, Agnes of God, Walk on the Wild Side.*

In spite of the fact that I generally share her politics, I've never found her particularly attractive physicially and would be hard-pressed to think of a movie of hers that I like.

Still, her ill-considered actions during the Vietnam War were essentially the product of an immature individual who failed to consider the simple (though so often ignored) fact that all actions have consequences, many that cannot be foreseen, and many that can (it's difficult to imagine, though, that she was so immature that at least some hint of those consequences, both to her image and our troops, didn't cross her mind).

Another significant cause of those actions is, ironically, the same thing that made John Wayne's politics to abhorrent to someone like me: they were half-formed, motivated far more by what he -- and Fonda -- were against than by a clear, coherent vision of what they were for that might make better the society of which they were part. You might think it odd to think of them as kindred spirits but, in the mechanism of their thinking, if not their stated views, they were very much the same.

Of course, most people's politics are similarly incomplete, but the average individual is typically anonymous: his or her opinions, statements, sentiments and votes don't attract the attention, admiration and/or condemnation of those made by a Fonda or Wayne.

Funny no one mentioned "Coming Home". Even though it seemed to be a sort of extention of her anti war attitude in the post Viet Nam era, it was her ability to pace her character's growth from dutiful and obedient military wife to someone who becomes self and socially aware as gradually as she did proved that there MUST be something about them Fonda genes. Among her best, I think.

Sepiatone

My top 5 Jane Fonda performances:

1. *Klute*, as a tough, smart call girl who gets involved in a murder investigation.

2. *They Shoot Horses, Don't They?* as the world-weary and sarcastic Gloria who takes one last chance.

3. *Julia* as Lillian Hellman and set against World War II.

4. *The Morning After* as the washed up actress. Not a great movie, but a great performance.

5. *The Dollmaker* as the country woman trapped in the city. A TV movie and one of the best.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings